Connect with us

Midwest

Man pleads no contest to manslaughter in Detroit policewoman's shooting

Published

on

A man pleaded no contest to manslaughter on Friday for fatally shooting a Detroit police officer during a 2019 domestic violence incident at the suburban home they shared, prosecutors said.

Eddie Ray-Jr. Johnson of Garden City, Michigan, was originally charged with first-degree murder and felony firearm for the June 2019 killing of Detroit Police Sgt. Elaine Williams.

But Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said that Johnson pleaded no contest Friday to manslaughter under a plea agreement that calls for a sentence of three years of probation and dismisses the felony firearm charge. His sentencing is set for June 14.

MURDER TRIAL BEGINS IN CASE OF DETROIT-AREA TEEN WHOSE DISAPPEARANCE TRIGGERED EXHAUSTIVE LANDFILL SEARCH

“Any violation found by the court will result in a guideline sentence of 57 months minimum to 95 months maximum to 15 years in prison,” Worthy’s office said in a news release.

Advertisement

This photograph shows a bird’s-eye view of downtown Detroit. (iStock)

Prosecutors said Johnson and Williams, 34, were domestic partners when they returned home intoxicated from a bar on June 2, 2019, and neighbors heard them arguing before multiple gunshots were heard.

Officers found Williams fatally shot inside the residence and Johnson with a gunshot wound. He told Garden City police he shot Williams “during a struggle after she shot him one time,” the news release states.

All shell casings found at the scene were fired by the .40 caliber pistol issued to Williams as part of her job as a sergeant with the Detroit Police Department.

Advertisement

“In this case, where both parties were shot with the same gun, the order of events is open to multiple interpretations,” Worthy said. “Considering our burden of proof, we believe this is an appropriate resolution. The decision to offer this plea to this defendant was not what we wanted to do, but it was the just thing to do.”

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Midwest

More severe weather hits the Midwest as Iowans recover from devastating twister

Published

on

Several tornadoes were reported in Iowa and Illinois as storms downed power lines and trees on Friday, just after a deadly twister devastated one small town.

The large storm system began overnight in Nebraska before traveling across central Iowa and into Illinois. Strong, straight-line wind gusts of up to 80 mph — equivalent to a weak tornado — were recorded across Iowa, said Chad Hahn, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Des Moines. The storm also brought rain that was heavy in some areas of Iowa, where totals have reached as much as 8 inches over the last week.

At least five tornadoes were reported south of Iowa City and near Moline, Illinois, early Friday, according to meteorologist John Haase with the National Weather Service’s Quad Cities office in Davenport, Iowa. No injuries had been reported.

MORE BAD WEATHER COULD HIT IOWA, WHERE 3 POWERFUL TORNADOES CAUSED MILLIONS IN DAMAGE

“Emergency managers say they have some structures damaged, homes damaged, but we’re going out out take a look,” Hasse said.

Advertisement

In Oklahoma, a tornado was on the ground for about an hour Thursday evening in Jackson County and neighboring counties as a slow-moving storm moved through, according to Ryan Bunker, a meteorologist with the weather service’s Norman, Oklahoma, office. News outlets reported downed power lines and outages and damage to some structures in the area.

Severe weather was expected throughout the long Memorial Day weekend. The National Weather Service expects storm systems in parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Iowa starting on Saturday evening and into Sunday.

Tom Wiggins sorts through debris at his grandparents’ tornado-damaged home, Thursday, May 23, 2024, in Greenfield, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

The latest severe weather comes as residents of Greenfield, Iowa, a community of about 2,000 people, have been cleaning up after a strong tornado on Tuesday. Friday’s storm system inflicted heavy rains, dime-sized hail and wind gusts of 75 mph on a community still reeling after four people were killed and 35 others injured when a tornado destroyed more than 100 homes and hit a nearby wind farm.

Among those killed were Dean and Pam Wiggins, said their grandson Tom Wiggins.

Advertisement

On Thursday, he tried to find any of his grandparents’ mementos that remained after the tornado demolished their home, leaving little more than its foundation. He described them as “incredibly loved by not only our family but the entire town.”

Not far away, Bill Yount was cleaning up.

“It’s like somebody took a bomb,” said Yount, gesturing to the land — covered with wood, debris, trees stripped of their leaves, heavy machinery and equipment to clean up the mess.

He waited out the storm in a closet.

“The roof raised up and slammed back down and then the windows all blew out,” he said Thursday. The tornado ripped the garage off his house and damaged interior walls. “Forty seconds changed my life immensely,” he said.

Advertisement

After surveying Tuesday’s destruction, the National Weather Service determined that three separate powerful tornadoes carved paths totaling 130 miles (209 kilometers) across Iowa, according to Donna Dubberke, the meteorologist in charge in Des Moines.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Detroit Tigers’ Scott Harris explains why team isn’t ready to spend big on roster yet

Published

on

Detroit Tigers’ Scott Harris explains why team isn’t ready to spend big on roster yet


play

The Detroit Tigers aren’t going to increase payroll before building the foundation.

That’s exactly what Tigers president of baseball operations Scott Harris said Tuesday afternoon on MLB Network in an 8-minute conversation with studio host Brian Kenny.

Advertisement

On MLB Network, Kenny asked Harris if the Tigers plan to spend like they used to. The Tigers had a top-six payroll in MLB for six seasons in a row, according to Spotrac, from 2012-17 under late owner Mike Ilitch, peaking at $200.2 million in 2016.

Harris believes Tigers owner Christopher Ilitch, Mike’s son, will increase payroll in the future, though he didn’t reveal a timeline.

“From the moment I got here, Chris Ilitch said that we would have the resources we need to build a really competitive club and to build a club that can sustain winning over a long period of time,” Harris said on MLB Network, when asked if payroll will increase. “We’re not quite there yet as far as spending at that level because we need to build the foundation of this team to put us in a position to supplement it with free agent signings in the upcoming winters.

WHAT SCOTT SAID IN SPRING: Tigers’ Scott Harris explains why he didn’t add more offense in offseason

Advertisement

“I have confidence that the resources will be there. The Ilitch family has always supported the Tigers, and they are ready and eager to do it. I’m actually sitting in the world headquarters for Little Caesars because we have scouting meetings across the street at Little Caesars. I’m confident that the resources will be there. We just have to develop the core that we’re going to spend around, and we also have to target the players in upcoming winters that can really help us.”

The Tigers’ payroll ranks 23rd in the 2024 season, at $106.5 million, nearly $60 million lower than the average of all 30 teams. Javier Báez, a struggling shortstop signed to a six-year, $140 million contract by former general manager Al Avila, is making $25 million, which equates to 23.5% of the total payroll this season.

The Tigers ranked 20th in payroll last season, at $121.5 million.

[ MUST LISTEN: Make “Days of Roar” your go-to Detroit Tigers podcast, available anywhere you listen to podcasts (Apple, Spotify) ]

Advertisement

It’s unclear if the Tigers are close to completing the foundation, and therefore, it’s unclear if the Tigers are close to spending big like Harris believes will happen at some point.

Former No. 1 overall picks Spencer Torkelson and Casey Mize — drafted and developed by the Avila regime — aren’t performing like franchise cornerstone players, while former No. 5 overall pick Riley Greene is a streaky hitter for the third season in a row. Colt Keith, who inked a club-friendly contract extension before his first game, is starting to settle in as a rookie. Late-round picks Tarik Skubal and Kerry Carpenter have been steady studs, along with Reese Olson, but Skubal — an American League Cy Young candidate — is going to become a free agent after the 2026 season.

“We’re a young team that’s still finding our way,” Harris said of the 2024 Tigers, currently at 26-27 overall and in fourth place in the American League Central. “We’ve shown some flashes of some really exciting play on both sides of the ball. I think we’re searching for that consistency that comes with maturation of young hitters and young starting pitchers in the big leagues. With youth often comes variance, and I think we’re living week to week here, but we’ve seen a lot of positive signs under the hood and some of those are translating to performance in recent weeks.”

YOUNGSTER: Tigers rookie Colt Keith hits first home run of MLB career. It wasn’t a fluke

The Tigers only have two more full seasons of Skubal.

Advertisement

If the window isn’t open now, when will it open?

Jackson Jobe, a 21-year-old elite pitching prospect, isn’t close to getting out of Double-A Erie and seems more likely to make his MLB debut in 2025. Max Clark, a 19-year-old center fielder whom Harris selected No. 3 overall in the 2023 draft, is down in Low-A Lakeland playing alongside 19-year-old shortstop Kevin McGonigle, the No. 37 overall pick in 2023.

The bad Báez contract comes off the books after the 2027 season. After this year, Báez is owed $25 million in 2025, $24 million in 2026 and $24 million in 2027.

Contact Evan Petzold at epetzold@freepress.com or follow him @EvanPetzold.

Listen to our weekly Tigers show “Days of Roar” every Monday afternoon on demand at freep.com, Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts. And catch all of our podcasts and daily voice briefing at freep.com/podcasts.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

'Everything I worked for is gone': Milwaukee family loses everything after lightning strikes home

Published

on

'Everything I worked for is gone': Milwaukee family loses everything after lightning strikes home


MILWAUKEE, Wisc. — After a home on Milwaukee’s south side is struck by lightning, a family now faces an uncertain future and could use your help.

TMJ4 News

“I busted my butt for the last two years because we had nothing but the clothes on our back. I worked my butt off to get everything myself, everything. I didn’t ask anyone for help. I worked so hard and now everything is just gone. Everything I worked for,” said Tammi Forsyth.

Tammi Forsyth moved into an apartment on Quincy Avenue with her four children just three months ago.

Advertisement

“It was bad enough that my kids just lost my mom in October and now this. It’s horrible, it’s heartbreaking,” said Forsyth.

Tammi Forsyth

TMJ4 News

A week ago, everything changed.

“It was so loud. I have never heard something that loud in my life. I woke up instantly. I just had tears coming out of my eyes. I didn’t know what had happened, but I knew something was really wrong,” said Forsyth.

A bolt of lightning hit the house.

Advertisement

“I looked up and the chimney was gone. It was in pieces. It was everywhere. It was smoking. And then I realized the house is on fire,” said Forsyth.

She remembers running around with her son Evan, trying to wake everyone up, including their downstairs neighbors.

“That was the first thing I did was knock on their door, pounding to get them out. And then I came up here to try to get the rest of my family out,” said Forsyth.

Inspectors told her the damage was so severe that nothing could be saved and now, she has to find a new place for her family.

Tammi Forsyth

TMJ4 News

Advertisement

“I wish I had renter’s insurance. I didn’t even think about it. I wish I would have known,” said Forsyth.

Tammi’s family and friends encouraged her to start a GoFundMe to help her get back on her feet.

So far, they’re about halfway to their goal and want to thank everyone who has offered their support.

“I’m so grateful for everything. I mean, even the nice words people are saying I’m so grateful for everything. My family appreciates everything,” said Forsyth.

If you would like to help, click here.

Advertisement

Talk to us:

Hey there! At TMJ4 News, we’re all about listening to our audience and tackling the stuff that really matters to you. Got a story idea, tip, or just want to chat about this piece? Hit us up using the form below. For more ways to get in touch, head over to tmj4.com/tips.


It’s about time to watch on your time. Stream local news and weather 24/7 by searching for “TMJ4” on your device.

Available for download on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and more.


Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending