Connect with us

Indianapolis, IN

Indy 500 Winner Josef Newgarden Signs Contract Extension At Team Penske

Published

on

Indy 500 Winner Josef Newgarden Signs Contract Extension At Team Penske


With back-to-back Indianapolis 500 victories, two NTT IndyCar Series Championships and 30 career IndyCar wins including 27 with Team Penske, it made tremendous sense that Josef Newgarden and Team Penske stay together for the future.

It became official Saturday afternoon at the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix as the team announced a contract extension with the IndyCar Series star.

Advertisement

“This very much feels like home here to me,” Newgarden said. “This is my eighth year with the team. They’ve provided me with every opportunity that I could have ever dreamed of. I’ve enjoyed my time here immensely, immensely. There’s nothing that’s ever been missing. Very thankful to our partnerships across the board.

“Chevrolet has powered every single one of my IndyCar victories that I’ve ever had, whether that was pre-Penske or during the entire time. Not somewhere else I want to go. I have loved working with Chevrolet, having them support me my entire career.”

Earlier on Saturday, Hitachi Astemo extended the company’s partnership with Team Penske in another multi-year agreement.

“Certainly, the Hitachi relationship was a very good one to receive when I got to Team Penske,” Newgarden said. “I used to watch Helio Castroneves drive the Hitachi car. I thought if one day I had an opportunity to drive for this team, I would love to drive that car. Helio passed the torch in 2018. We were able to follow that up with a championship in 2019.

Advertisement

“I don’t think it’s farfetched to say we nearly could have had four championships together in that time span. We finished second, runner-up, three years in a row. A couple were very close.

“I think for me what I look at, which is most gratifying, is the potential still has not been reached. There’s a higher ceiling here that we haven’t maxed out yet. That makes me excited for the future.”

Newgarden’s victory was team owner Roger Penske’s record-extending 20th Indianapolis 500 victory.

Advertisement

“Josef Newgarden is a true winner, and we are excited that he will continue as a part of Team Penske for years to come,” said team owner Roger Penske. “What he did Sunday in the Indianapolis 500 shows how Josef consistently delivers for our team and our partners on the track, and he is just as impressive off the track as well. We are proud to have Josef continue with our organization as his skill and passion embody what it means to be a Team Penske driver.”

Newgarden is one of the biggest stars in the IndyCar Series and has called Team Penske home since the 2017 season. In his seven-plus seasons with the organization, Newgarden has totaled 27 wins, 16 NTT P1 Award pole positions, and two IndyCar Series championships in 2017 and 2019.

A well-rounded driver that can win on any circuit, Newgarden has established himself as the top oval racer in the series and his 30 career victories place him alone in the 13th position on the all-time series wins list.

Most-notably, the Nashville, Tenn. native took the checkered flag in the Indianapolis 500 in 2023 and 2024, becoming the first driver since 2002 to win the race in consecutive seasons. His 2024 Indianapolis 500 victory on Sunday afternoon gave Team Penske 20 wins in “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” This extension will allow Newgarden to chase immortality as the first driver to win three-consecutive Indianapolis 500s with the most-successful team in the race’s 108-year history.

In addition, this year Newgarden became the first driver in Team Penske history to win the Indianapolis 500 and the Rolex 24 at Daytona in the same season when he helped the team to the overall win in the endurance classic for the first time since 1969.

“Driving for Roger Penske and this iconic team is a dream that I never thought I would realize,” Newgarden said. “I’m thankful for the opportunities that I’ve been given during my time at Team Penske. I have a great amount of respect for the individuals that comprise our group, including the partners who support us.

“Our time together has been filled with hard work, teamwork and dedication; and I’m so excited that we will continue on for many more years to come. I’m sure that we can achieve much more in the future. I still believe we haven’t reached our full potential together just yet.”

Newgarden is seventh in the 2024 IndyCar Series standings with one win and two top-five finishes in the No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet. He is a 2019 winner of the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix, site of this weekend’s sixth round of the 2024 IndyCar Series championship that can be seen live on the USA Network at 12:00 pm ET on Sunday, June 2.

Advertisement

Team Penske is one of the most successful teams in the history of professional sports. Cars owned and prepared by Team Penske have produced more than 625 major race wins, over 685 pole positions and 44 championships across open-wheel, stock car and sports car racing competition.

Entering its 58th season in 2024, Team Penske has also earned 20 Indianapolis 500 victories, three Daytona 500 Championships, a Formula 1 win, victories in the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring, along with a win in Australia’s legendary Bathurst 1000 race.

In 2024, Team Penske will compete in the NTT IndyCar Series, NASCAR Cup Series, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and the FIA World Endurance Championship.

“The timing was kind of perfect,” Newgarden said. “You never know when you’re going to win the Indianapolis 500. The fact that we did, we have this great extension with Hitachi Astemo, we’re here in GM’s backyard, literally in their house, Penske Corporation is up the road, seemed like a good time to put this together.

“This has been coming for a little while now, so not surprised.”

Advertisement



Source link

Indianapolis, IN

Crews treating Indianapolis roads overnight for upcoming snowstorm

Published

on

Crews treating Indianapolis roads overnight for upcoming snowstorm


play

With the National Weather Service announcing a Winter Storm Warning for much of Central and Northern Indiana this holiday weekend, Indianapolis transportation officials have released their preparation plans.

The NWS forecast calls for 1 to 6 inches of snow Nov. 29 in the Indianapolis metro area, with the least snow expected south of Interstate 70 and amounts increasing northward.

Advertisement

In anticipation of snow starting Saturday morning, the Indianapolis Department of Public Works announced it will treat roads starting Friday, Nov. 28.

At 11 p.m., AFSCME Local #725 crews will begin their 12-hour shifts monitoring and preparing roads throughout the city. As snow begins to fall, crews will focus on prioritizing and clearing one-way roads, bridge overpasses, thoroughfares and streets abutting hospitals and fire stations.

Starting at about midnight, the Indiana Department of Transportation will have a few crews preparing roads and highways throughout Indianapolis, with additional crews tackling highways outside of Indianapolis starting at 4 a.m.

Once the snow begins to fall, INDOT will send its full crew out to treat and service roads and highways across Indianapolis and Indiana.

Advertisement

“It takes about 2 to 3 hours for our plows to complete their routes and they usually travel about 25 miles an hour,” said Jordan Yaney, public relations director for INDOT East Central district.

“We just want to remind people that just because they don’t see a plow in their 10-minute drive, it doesn’t mean we’re not out.”

INDOT also recommends that drivers provide enough space, which is about 600 feet or more, between vehicles while traveling on icy roads.

Get your abandoned vehicle before the snowstorm

In preparation for the upcoming snowstorm, the Indiana State Police announced it will tow all abandoned vehicles in Indianapolis that the department considers a road hazard.

Advertisement

People whose cars have been towed can visit the Indianapolis government “towed vehicle” webpage to find their vehicle, or at www.indy.gov/activity/dbns-tow-programs.

The Indianapolis Department of Public Works also shares updates about Marion County road conditions on its X page.

Live Indianapolis, Indiana weather radar

You can also check the NWS Indianapolis page on X, formerly Twitter, for updates about the weather.

Advertisement

A travel advisory is the lowest level of local travel advisory.

“Routine travel or activities may be restricted in areas because of a hazardous situation, and individuals should use caution or avoid those areas,” according IN.gov.

A travel watch means that conditions are threatening to the public so only essential travel is recommended. A travel warning means that unless you are in emergency management, you are recommended to be off the roads.

Is there snow on the ground? How to see if your Indianapolis street has been plowed

Driving in Indianapolis? Check out this live traffic map, per Waze

Drivers can use a free live traffic map from Waze to navigate Indianapolis. The navigation app from Waze provides traffic updates, road condition information and offers directions.

Safe driving tips for snow and ice

Staying safe on Indiana’s roads during a winter storm can depend largely on how well you’re prepared. The Indiana Department of Transportation offers these tips:

Advertisement
  • Knowledge: Before leaving home, find out about the driving conditions. Safe drivers know the weather, and their limits. If the weather is bad remember, “Ice and Snow, Take it Slow,” or just don’t go.
  • Clear: Remove any snow on your vehicle’s windows, lights, brake lights and signals. Make sure you can see and be seen.
  • Inspect: Check your vehicle’s tires, wiper blades, fluids, lights, belts and hoses. A breakdown is bad on a good day and dangerous on a bad-weather day.
  • Time: Leave plenty of time to reach your destination safely. It’s not worth putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation just to be on time.
  • Kit: Keep a basic winter survival kit in your vehicle, including a flashlight, batteries, blanket, snacks, water, gloves, boots, and a first-aid kit. Load your car with winter travel gear, including tire chains, ice scraper/snowbrush, jumper cables, and road flares.

Weather info you need

🚨 Indiana Weather Alerts: Warnings, Watches and Advisories.

⚡ Indiana power outage map: How to check your status.

💻 Internet outages: How to track them.

🚫 What you should and shouldn’t do when the power is out.

🐶 Your neighbor left their pet outside. Who you should call.

Advertisement

Where to report power outages and downed lines

  • AES Indiana customers: 317-261-8111
  • Duke Energy customers: 1-800-343-3525

Indianapolis and Indiana road conditions

Check road conditions, including road closures, crashes and live webcams using Indiana’s online Trafficwise map at 511in.org, or visit our gridlock guide page for live traffic cams and more.

INDOT’s CARS Program provides information about road conditions, closures and width and weight restrictions. The website has a color-coded map of Indiana’s highways and highlights hazardous road conditions and travel delays.

The interactive map also shows road work warnings, closures, roadway restrictions and other information helpful to drivers.

Katie Wiseman is a trending news reporter for IndyStar and Midwest Connect. Contact her at klwiseman@gannett.com. Follow her on Bluesky @katiewiseman

John Tufts covers trending news for IndyStar and Midwest Connect. Send him a news tip at JTufts@Gannett.com. Find him on BlueSky at JohnWritesStuff.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

6-year-old boy dies following accidental shooting, IMPD says

Published

on

6-year-old boy dies following accidental shooting, IMPD says


play

A 6-year-old boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself with a relative’s handgun, an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police spokesperson confirmed.

At 4:09 p.m., on Nov. 27, officers were called to a home in the 5200 block of Corgan Way on the city’s southwest side. Officers found the boy shot, and he was taken to an area hospital in critical condition but later died.

Advertisement

“Your heart just sinks. We just have to do better. We cannot allow our little ones, who were the voice for, who are just innocent and don’t know any better, to get a hold of a weapon like this,” Officer Tommy Thompson said. “It’s just sad. Far too young. For this child’s life that’s been taken, I hope we can take something from it.”

Thompson said the boy’s parents were on their way to the city and other family members were taken downtown for questioning. No one is being detained at this time.

“It sounds like a tragic accident. There are no words that can ever express the feeling that I’m sure this family member’s going through, who was the owner of this firearm, and how it got into this child’s hands. Their mental health is going to have to be monitored for a while,” Thompson said.

Advertisement

In a statement online, IMPD Chief Chris Bailey said, “Our entire department is holding this family and our community close to our hearts this evening.”

“My heart goes out to the family and everyone who knew this child, a life gone far too soon,” The statement read. “This loss is especially heartbreaking on a day meant for gratitude.”

Thompson offered a reminder to the community that Indianapolis Public Libraries have free gun locks available, and if someone has a firearm they don’t want anymore, the department will take it to have it destroyed.

Earlier in the day, two people were killed after a shooting on the city’s east side. A man and woman were found shot inside a home after the Indianapolis Fire Department was called about a house fire. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the woman was taken to a hospital in critical condition but later died.

Advertisement

Two young children were also found inside the home, but were unharmed.

“I have two families from this morning and this afternoon, just gutted on a Thanksgiving,” Thompson said. “This is a quiet community behind me, this complex. I just can’t imagine how they’re impacted as well, how scary that is.”

Jade Jackson is a Public Safety Reporter for the Indianapolis Star. You can email her at Jade.Jackson@IndyStar.com and follow her on X, formerly Twitter @IAMJADEJACKSON.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

Colts’ QB future could take unexpected turn with Daniel Jones

Published

on

Colts’ QB future could take unexpected turn with Daniel Jones


When the Indianapolis Colts signed quarterback Daniel Jones to a one-year, $14 million contract during the NFL offseason, no one knew what to expect. Some felt that Jones could revitalize his career as the starter, while many others felt that he would end up being a backup behind former No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson.

Jones quickly won the starting job during training camp and preseason action. He has looked the part of a franchise quarterback for the Colts this season.

Through his first 11 games with the team, the 28-year-old signal caller has completed 69.1 percent of his pass attempts for 2,840 yards, 17 touchdowns, and seven interceptions. He has also picked up 159 yards and five touchdowns on 43 rushing attempts.

Read more: Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes May Help Make NFL History on Thanksgiving

Advertisement

Due to his impressive play so far this season, the expectation has been that Indianapolis will reward him with a long-term contract. However, that might not end up being the case.

Over the last few weeks, the Jones magic has begun to slow. He hasn’t played bad football, but he has not been nearly as good as he was early in the season. That has led to some concern about investing too much into him.

His track record is also a potential concern. Jones received big-time money from the New York Giants a few years back. That move ended up being a massive mistake for the Giants and the Colts do not want to double down on the same mistake with the same player.

To that end, an unexpected turn has been suggested for Indianapolis.

James Boyd of The Athletic has shared his idea that Indianapolis doesn’t give Jones a huge long-term deal. Instead, he thinks that the Colts could franchise tag the quarterback.

Advertisement

“Jones has really struggled against the blitz lately after torching aggressive defenses earlier this year,” Boyd wrote. “Countering the blitz has never been his strong suit, and if Jones and the Colts are unable to find a solution for dealing with extra pressure, it’s worth questioning how much Indianapolis should invest in him long term, which is where the franchise tag could come in handy.”

Read more: Minnesota Vikings Emerge Again in Aaron Rodgers Speculation

Giving Jones the franchise tag instead of a lucrative long-term extension would give the franchise at least one more year to make a final decision. There is no need to rush a long-term decision.

There is no question that Jones could be the team’s future under center. But, it’s always better to be safe than sorry in a situation like a monster quarterback contract extension.

Only time will tell, but the Jones situation could get interesting for Indianapolis. The Colts will have a tough decision to make when the 2025 season comes to an end.

Advertisement

For more on the Indianapolis Colts and general NFL news, head over to Newsweek Sports.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending