Midwest
'Election interference' claims muddy battleground state politics amid competitive races
FIRST ON FOX: Michigan Republican Senate candidate Mike Rogers is firing back at Democrats after they accused him and other Republicans of committing fraud to obtain ballot access.
In a letter to the Michigan Board of State Canvassers, a lawyer for Rogers slammed the state Democratic Party and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) over what he said were “reckless and unsubstantiated claims.”
Earlier this month, the Democratic Party entities urged the board to investigate potential fraud in the nominating petitions of several Republican Senate primary candidates, including Rogers, who once represented Michigan in the U.S. House. The groups called for “an immediate investigation of the petition sheets submitted by candidates Rogers, [Justin] Amash, [Sandy] Pensler, and [Peter] Meijer, and to invalidate all petition signatures appearing on petition sheets signed by circulators who are found to have engaged in fraud.”
SPEAKER JOHNSON PLANS TO INVITE ISRAEL’S NETANYAHU TO MEET WITH CONGRESS SOONER RATHER THAN LATER
Republican Senate primary candidate Mike Rogers is accusing Democrats of “election interference.” (Getty Images)
In calling for the investigations, Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lavora Barnes said in a statement at the time, “The new indications of apparent fraud are deeply concerning and demand immediate action.”
“Given that Michigan voters have now submitted declarations stating they did not sign the petitions, the Bureau of Elections and Board of Canvassers must uphold their responsibility to protect the integrity of Michigan’s elections and conduct a full, thorough investigation. The Board of State Canvassers must conclusively determine that the Republican Senate candidates have each submitted 15,000 valid signatures before taking any vote to certify them to appear on the ballot,” she continued.
However, the Democrats’ request was notably made after the deadline for challenges had already passed, as was confirmed by a Michigan Department of State spokesperson. The board will meet on Friday to “consider challenges to nominating petition signatures and other business.”
ANTISEMITISM AT YALE, UNIV. OF MICHIGAN TO FACE CONGRESSIONAL SCRUTINY
Democratic groups requested investigations into the nominating petitions of Republican Senate candidates. (Leigh Vogel/WireImage)
A spokesperson for Rogers claimed in a statement to Fox News Digital that the party entities were engaging in “election interference.”
Rogers’ lawyer, Eric E. Doster, urged the board not to accept the petition deniers’ invitation to “engage in voter disenfranchisement,” he wrote in the letter.
GOP SEN CALLS FOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION INTO TRUMP TRIAL JUDGE OVER GAG ORDERS
Rogers is considered the frontrunner in a crowded Michigan Republican Senate primary. (Sam Wolfe/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
The Michigan Board of State Canvassers did not provide comment to Fox News Digital in time for publication.
“This blatant attempt at election interference is just the latest example of the disdain Democrats hold for Michigan voters and democracy at large,” said Rogers spokesperson Chris Gustafson.
The Republican candidate has been endorsed by former President Trump in his primary race, and the campaign has come to his defense in public settings.
According to a statement from Trump campaign Michigan spokesperson Victoria LaCivita, “Michigan Democrats have a long track record of election interference and creating systems open to fraud.”
BIDEN ADMIN QUESTIONED OVER ABORTION PILL PUSH WITHOUT PROPER ENVIRONMENTAL STUDY
Mike Rogers was endorsed by former President Trump in his primary race. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
“This latest scheme is based on fear of losing to President Trump and his Michigan GOP ticket in November. Using radical liberal lawyer Marc Elias underscores the truth: this is just a sad PR stunt to distract Michigan voters from the real issues at stake this November. Michiganders care about being able to afford gas and groceries and feeling safe in their homes and will see through this smokescreen,” she added.
The legal ballot feud comes as Michigan is again poised to be a big battleground state in the upcoming November election. In an April Fox News poll, Trump was up by three points over President Biden in the state, or 49% to 46% among registered voters.
Further, with the exit of top incumbent Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., the race for the next Michigan senator is considered competitive, rated as “Lean Democratic” by nonpartisan political handicapper the Cook Political Report. The Republican and Democratic Senate primaries will be held on Aug. 6.
Read the full article from Here
Detroit, MI
3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say
At least three people are injured after separate weekend shootings across Detroit as of Saturday night.
According to police, a man on the 20600 block of West Eight Mile Road assaulted another man before firing shots on Saturday around 3:04 p.m. Officials said the man shot was grazed by at least one bullet and the suspected shooter was arrested. A weapon was recovered by law enforcement at the scene.
Roughly 40 minutes after the shooting on Eight Mile Road, a man was shot and had his vehicle stolen on the 19300 block of Rosemont Avenue, according to police. The man was sitting inside his gray Chevrolet Equinox when an unknown individual approached with a gun and demanded money.
Officials said the man in the Chevrolet was shot after he exited his vehicle. He was taken to the hospital and, as of Saturday night, is in stable condition. The individual who approached the man left the scene in the Equinox, according to police.
Just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a male teenager was shot while driving in the area of Woodward and West Hildale avenues, near Palmer Park, police said. According to officials, the teen, whose exact age has yet to be disclosed, was traveling in the area when an individual in another vehicle pulled alongside him and fired shots.
The teen was taken to the hospital. As of Saturday night, he is also in stable condition, officials said.
Police have yet to disclose whether an arrest has been made in the shootings on Rosemont Avenue or near Palmer Park.
Milwaukee, WI
One person injured, taken to hospital after rollover crash near 12th and Vliet
MILWAUKEE — The Milwaukee Fire Department says one person is injured and was taken to Froedtert Hospital for treatment after a rollover vehicle crash near N. 12th Street and W. Vliet Street on Saturday night.
MFD’s battalion chief confirmed this information to TMJ4 News in a statement.
TMJ4 News
A TMJ4 crew on scene of the crash around 8:20 p.m. saw crews there from the Milwaukee Fire Department, Milwaukee Police Department and Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office.
TMJ4 also reached out to the Milwaukee Police Department and Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office for comment but has not heard back.
Let’s talk:
Hey there! At TMJ4 News, we’re all about listening to our audience and tackling the stuff that really matters to you. Got a story idea, tip, or just want to chat about this piece? Hit us up using the form below. For more ways to get in touch, head over to tmj4.com/tips.
It’s about time to watch on your time. Stream local news and weather 24/7 by searching for “TMJ4” on your device.
Available for download on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and more.
Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip
Minneapolis, MN
George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign
Future of George Floyd Square still undecided
Memorial Day marks six years since the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, with remembrance events held in his honor. City officials have since pondered what George Floyd Square should look like in the future. FOX 9’s Leon Purvis has the details.
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – Minneapolis is preparing for major changes at George Floyd Square as it marks six years since Floyd’s murder.
City prepares to reshape George Floyd Square after years of debate
What we know:
City leaders have spent years discussing whether to keep the intersection mostly closed to traffic or reopen it in some way.
For nearly six years, George Floyd Square at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue has been a place for memorials, art and community gatherings. After much debate, construction is set to begin on June 8.
The city council’s original idea was to turn the area into a pedestrian mall, keeping it closed to most vehicles.
That plan faced pushback from some businesses and residents, and ultimately decided on a flexible open-street design.
Dwight Alexander, owner of Smoke in the Pit, said, “I don’t want a pedestrian mall.”
Under this plan, 38th Street and Chicago Avenue will reopen to vehicle and bus traffic, but the area where Floyd was killed will remain closed to traffic.
Renderings show wider sidewalks, new gathering spaces and improved infrastructure throughout the intersection.
Jeremiah Rupert, who visits George Floyd Square every day, said, “How do you balance community and social justice to make sure everyone gets what they need?”
“I want the road back open. I want the bus line to come back this way if it can. I want the streetlights back up there,” said Alexander.
City officials say memorials and gathering spaces will remain part of the redesign during and after construction, though some locations may shift.
Artists and community members will be involved in making sure the public can still access the memorials during construction.
“If we shut it down for construction, or if we further open it up, what would it do to the space?” said Rupert.
The city says construction is expected to continue through 2027.
Big picture view:
George Floyd Square has become both a memorial and a gathering place for the community since 2020.
The redesign aims to balance the needs of residents, businesses and those who visit the space to remember Floyd.
Business owners and community members have voiced a range of opinions on how the intersection should function moving forward.
Some want easier access for vehicles and buses, while others are focused on preserving the area’s significance as a memorial.
The city’s plan attempts to address both concerns by reopening some streets while keeping the most sensitive area closed to traffic.
-
New York1 hour agoBrooklyn Man Wedged in Upstate New York Cave Is Rescued After 6 Hours
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoGrandmother hospitalized after hit-and-run slams into her in San Fernando
-
Detroit, MI2 hours ago3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoThe Store Cats of San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoFC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Lineup notes 📝
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoDeputies investigating shooting in NW Miami-Dade that left a man in critical condition – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoMan killed after MBTA commuter rail train struck his vehicle at Braintree crossing – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoDenver weather: Warmer weather for Memorial Day with an isolated storm