Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Tigers top prospect Kevin McGonigle getting tested by big-league pitching

Published

on

Tigers top prospect Kevin McGonigle getting tested by big-league pitching


Dunedin, Fla. — Tigers top prospect Kevin McGonigle drew two walks Saturday and made a couple of superb defensive plays at third base against the Toronto Blue Jays. But he’s also getting a live lesson in how Major League pitchers will exploit a perceived weakness.

He’s seen very few fastballs over the last week or so, and almost none for strikes. Instead, pitchers are feeding him a steady diet of spin and off-speed. Jays starter and former Tiger Max Scherzer punched him out on three pitches in the first inning, the last two were nasty curveballs.

Advertisement

“It’s getting close to the in-season style where there’s not a lot of free pitches,” Tigers manager AJ Hinch said. “Starters are going five and six innings. Scouting reports are starting to be paved. Young hitters are going to see a complete change.

“When you homer on the big stage in the Dominican against Luis Severino, I’m sure pitchers in the Grapefruit League are watching.”

McGonigle has one hit in his last 13 at-bats. But give him some grace for the Scherzer at-bat.

“Kevin was 4 when Max broke in,” Hinch said. “That puts it in perspective. His whole life of watching baseball, Scherzer has been at the highest level and dominating and paving his way to Cooperstown.”

Matt Vierling, who is 29, has a lot more skin in the game than McGonigle right now and he punched out twice and took some awful swings against Scherzer, too.

Advertisement

But Vierling recovered, swatting a pair of doubles and knocking in two runs.

Chris.McCosky@detroitnews.com

@cmccosky



Source link

Advertisement

Detroit, MI

Michigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver

Published

on

Michigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver



A 75-year-old Wixom man who was allegedly attacked by a DoorDash driver back in December has died from his injuries on May 16, his family says

Advertisement

Lloyd Poole’s stepdaughter, Lindsey Gonzalez, tells CBS Detroit that Poole and his wife had just gotten back from Ireland before this alleged attack, and they had plans to travel to Alaska. 

“It stinks that basically my mom and his golden years of traveling and being retired was taken away by this man,” said Gonzalez.

“He had seven different brain surgeries during that time, numerous infections during that time. He ended up with pneumonia a couple times. It was just a downwhirl spiral since everything happened that night,” said Gonzalez.

Police say on Dec. 28, officers were called to the area of Barberry Circle and Windingway Drive for a report of a man lying unconscious in the roadway. Authorities say that 40-year-old Ryan Daniel Turner, a DoorDash driver, went to the police station and admitted to punching Poole after he was confronted for speeding through the neighborhood.

“The medical examiner did rule the cause of death as homicide by blunt force head trauma,” Gonzalez told CBS Detroit.

Advertisement

Records show that Turner was arraigned on one count of aggravated assault. He is due back in court for a pre-trial hearing. However, Poole’s family says they are frustrated that Turner is out on bond.

“I mean, he’s out on bond on house arrest on a tether, so he’s not going anywhere, but he’s still sitting out, and this happened to Lloyd,” said Gonzalez. 

CBS News Detroit reached out to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office, which says it is aware of Poole’s death. It is unclear if charges will be updated.



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Grading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension

Published

on

Grading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension


The Detroit Lions checked off a major item from their offseason to-do list Thursday. 

Advertisement

They inked linebacker Jack Campbell, the heart and soul of their defense, to a four-year contract extension worth $81 million (reportedly $51.5 million guaranteed). It was a well-deserved extension for Campbell, who was named to his first Pro Bowl and earned first-team AP All-Pro honors in 2025.

Advertisement

The 25-year-old will enter the 2026 season as the second-highest paid off-ball linebacker in the NFL at $20.25 million per year, trailing only San Francisco’s Fred Warner ($21M/year).

Campbell led all Lions defenders – and finished second in the league – with 176 tackles last season, while playing in all but eight of the team’s 1,105 defensive snaps. He also notched career-high totals in sacks (five), forced fumbles (three) and fumble recoveries (two) while recording a Pro Football Focus overall grade of 90.2. It marked the second-best PFF overall grade among 88 qualified linebackers a season ago. 

In addition to his high-level production, Campbell has donned the green dot and served as the de facto “quarterback” of the defense the last two seasons, relaying calls to the rest of the unit from Detroit’s defensive coaching staff. 

Lions head man Dan Campbell offered high praise for the middle linebacker this past December. 

Advertisement

“He’s our bell cow,” Campbell said. “He’s smart and he’s instinctive, and he is snap to whistle all out, all the time. In practice, too. And he doesn’t take plays off, he doesn’t take days off. He goes after the football, he’s a ball guy. So, he’s invaluable.”

Advertisement

Additional Lions Insider Analysis: Exploring If Germany Game Will Significantly Impact Lions 2026 Season

The fourth-year pro has grown into an immensely valuable member of Detroit’s defense, morphing from an inconsistently productive, part-time starter in 2023 (57.3 PFF grade) to one of the NFL’s very best linebackers. And the Iowa product has proven to be especially proficient against the run, with no less than a 75.9 PFF run-defense grade in his first three NFL seasons. 

Campbell has proven time and time again he’s capable of captaining a defense, and he’s more than validated Detroit general manager Brad Holmes’ initially criticized decision to select an off-ball linebacker at No. 18 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.

“This is Jack Campbell’s defense,” Lions defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard told reporters at the NFL combine in February. “And I don’t hesitate when I say that. This is Jack Campbell’s defense, and everybody in that locker room knows it, point blank, period. It all goes through Jack.”

Advertisement

He’s more than earned the right to be the leader of Sheppard’s unit, and Detroit should be in good hands with Campbell patrolling the middle of the defense in 2026. 

Advertisement

Holmes & Co. made an extremely wise decision locking up the gritty linebacker until 2030 and should be commended for such. At this present juncture, I believe the Campbell extension deserves an “A” grade.

Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says

Published

on

Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says


The Southfield Freeway was closed Thursday night after a shooting occurred in the area of M-39 near Joy Road, the Michigan State Police reported on X.

“Troopers are currently in the preliminary stages of the investigation, and additional information will be released as it becomes available,” the state police said.

Officials said the freeway is expected to remain closed for “several hours while investigators process the scene.” There was no indication about whether anyone was injured in the shooting. The state police gave no further details.

“The roadway will be reopened as soon as the investigation allows,” the state police said.

Advertisement

rburr@detroitnews.com



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending