Detroit, MI
Detroit police: Woman kidnapped and raped by ex-boyfriend, who was arrested in Toledo
Man charged in kidnap, rape of Detroit woman he took to Toledo
Kevin Thompson II drove 60 miles south to his Toledo home, where he raped his ex-girlfriend and held her captive.
DETROIT (FOX 2) – Police say a Metro Detroit woman did everything she could to escape her violently abusive ex-boyfriend, but he wasn’t accepting her refusal.
“He dragged her to his car, stuffed her in the back; you could see in the video he handcuffed her, he had the child locks on, and he put tape over her eyes,” said Detroit Police Assistant Chief Charles Fitzgerald.
Kevin Thompson II drove 60 miles south to his Toledo home, where he raped his ex-girlfriend and held her captive.
“You’re talking about 18-19 hours that we didn’t know where she was,” Fitzgerald said.
Investigators say there were plenty of indicators that Thompson was a very violent man.
“He had a little to-go bag; it had duct tape, two sets of handcuffs, brass knuckles, a Taser,” Fitzgerald said. “Right from the start, this was his intention.”
Police say Thompson planned and plotted — he allegedly stalked his ex, waiting for her to finish work last weekend in downtown Detroit when he attacked.
He was trying to re-enter her life, and she made it clear she wanted nothing to do with him.
In June, he allegedly assaulted her in public. That was the final straw for her, but for him, it wasn’t over — Detroit Police Assistant Chief Charles Fitzgerald outlines a timeline of violent harassment.
“He got into her building, knocked on her door, ran down the stairs, and hid,” Fitzgerald said. “When she sort of came out, he chased after her.”
Then, a day later, last month — Thompson allegedly broke into her car, worked his way into her trunk, and crawled out while she was driving on the Lodge. He managed to escape.
In a final act of desperation, investigators say he kidnapped and raped her but told police a different story.
“His lead-on was that he was going to take her home once it was done, and I just don’t buy that,” Fitzgerald said.
When she didn’t show up for a CPL class — the next day, last Saturday — Detroit police were called in.
“From the time we were notified to the time she was in custody, it was about 4.5 hours,” he said.
It didn’t take long for Detroit police to track down Thompson at his Toledo home, where police there and the FBI assisted in the arrest. He was casually leaving his house to get food when he was apprehended.
The victim, his ex-girlfriend inside, was rescued but emotionally traumatized.
“She is doing as well as she can be at this point,” Fitzgerald said.
Thompson is being held on a substantial bond in Ohio — $750,000. Investigators with the Detroit Police Department are seeking to add federal charges for kidnapping his ex and taking her across state lines.
Detroit, MI
Detroit police investigating report of baby left on porch; New details add context to situation
The Detroit Police Department confirmed that it responded to a call concerning a baby found on a porch on Thanksgiving night.
Police responded to a home on Cruse Street near Fenkell Avenue. Police said their child abuse unit is investigating.
However, CBS News Detroit spoke with a source who confirmed the child wasn’t left on the porch. A teenage family member at the home, in fact, gave birth to the child, according to the source.
On Friday, a family member told CBS News Detroit that a teenager living at the Cruse Street home was pregnant, and that the family was unaware of the news. When the family initially received the news that a child was on the porch, the police were contacted.
Attorney Jeff Abood with Abood Law believes charges could be forthcoming.
“If somebody were to abandon an infant or child, then they could face criminal charges,” Abood told CBS News Detroit.
In 2001, a safe delivery law was implemented in Michigan. It allows parents to surrender their newborn child, no more than 3 days old, to any uniformed on-duty employee at a hospital, fire department, or police station. State records show nearly 400 babies have been safely surrendered in Michigan.
“You could do that without any sort of criminal responsibility, assuming it was done properly and done right,” Abood said.
With these latest developments, Detroit police haven’t said what will happen next.
According to the family member who talked to CBS News Detroit, the baby and mother are in the hospital and expected to be OK.
Detroit, MI
The Packers got away with one but Detroit Lions still need fixes
Detroit Lions fall to Green Bay Packers: Breaking down Thanksgiving L
Detroit Lions fall to Green Bay Packers: Shawn Windsor and Jeff Seidel break down Thanksgiving loss at Ford Field on Thursday, Nov. 27, 2025.
The hole and the wink aren’t related. Not really.
Well, maybe.
OK, they are.
Just not how you think. And not how you want.
There is cause-and-effect. There is coincidence.
What happened at Ford Field on Thursday, Nov. 27, when the Green Bay Packers benefited from the officials’ mistake – or two – also exposed the Detroit Lions.
Again.
The Lions haven’t been good enough this season – in the trenches, on the margins – and it’s jarring, as reality so often is.
On Thursday, they couldn’t pressure the quarterback, they couldn’t protect their own quarterback when they absolutely needed to. They couldn’t convert on third-and-short or fourth-and-short, and Green Bay could – and did.
The difference in the game, said the man who winked – Packers coach Matt LaFleur. The difference in the game, said the man who mentioned the “hole” – Lions coach Dan Campbell.
As in: “We are in a little bit of a hole. That’s just what it is,” Campbell said after his team’s 31-24 loss. “There’s nothing more than that. All we got to do is worry about cleaning up this and then getting to the next game and finding a way to win the next one.”
The next one is, of course, against the Dallas Cowboys. Right back at Ford Field. Also a Thursday game (on Dec. 4). This time at night. Another must-win.
Though there are must-wins and there are must-wins. The Lions aren’t at the latter just yet. Too many games left. Too many possibilities.
The season isn’t finished, even if it feels like it will be soon. Then again, that feeling is also a way to cope, to deal with unmet expectations, to deal with being in “a hole,” to say: It’s over … and move on to college hoops or hockey, or even the Pistons.
Or to silence in your basement.
A wink and a nod from LaFleur
Which brings us back to the wink, which many will relate to the “hole,” because behind the wink, there is acknowledgement of a gift, from an official.
No, not cash or anything so direct or gauche. But the gift of a gathering, where folks dressed in black-and-white stripes huddled to discuss whether LaFleur had called a timeout before one of his offensive linemen jumped offsides, and concluded the timeout came first.
“Of course, they got it right,” said LaFleur, who winked as he said it. “What do you think?”
And:
“Yeah, I was calling timeout. … We call it a delay situation. Obviously, it was a timeout that we were going to use if they didn’t jump offsides, so we were going for it there regardless.”
If the flag stays, maybe the Packers convert. Maybe they don’t. But for LaFleur to act like fourth-and-6 is the same as fourth-and-1 is well, worthy of a wink.
That’s a tough look for the NFL, and an exasperating look for Lions fans. But so is the lack of a pass rush, and the season-long inability to make the play or two needed to win against the better teams in the league.
All of it can be true. The Lions got jilted. The Packers thought it was funny. The Lions still need to play much, much better.
Yeah, he winked. That’s indisputable. Nor is proof hard to find. Search “LaFleur and wink” and watch it pop up quickly – everywhere. Or at least everywhere the NFL and its officials are discussed, or everywhere the NFL is discussed.
And now everywhere the Lions are discussed.
The refs blew it. Then said they didn’t. That’s maddening, too. That’s also not why the Lions lost and fell further into their hole in the NFC North and overall playoff standings.
That could change. A lot needs to change with the Lions first.
“It all starts with you doing your job, which is us, and finding a way to win the next one in front of us,” said Campbell. “It really is that simple. Don’t make more of it than need be. It’s frustrating, it sucks, it’s tough, but we did it to ourselves and we’re the only ones who are going to get out of it as well.”
Wink …
… or not.
Contact Shawn Windsor: swindsor@freepress.com. Follow him @shawnwindsor.
Detroit, MI
Canadian freighter runs aground in Detroit River, second this month
Detroit — For the second time this month, a freighter has run aground in the Detroit River.
The vessel, a 629 ft. long Canadian cargo ship called the Robert S. Pierson, is stuck about 5 and a half miles upriver from the still-under-construction Gordie Howe Bridge near downtown alongside the William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor. The freighter ran aground near where the other Canadian freighter got stuck earlier this month.
The U.S. Coast Guard Detroit sector received the initial report at 1:17 a.m. Thursday morning, Petty Officer Second Class Omar Faba said. Reportedly, it became grounded at 10:35 Wednesday night, he said. The cargo ship is carrying 18,000 tons of stone and was headed to Lorain, Ohio, from Windsor, Ontario.
There have been no reported injuries, pollution or impact to vessel traffic, he said.
The U.S. Coast Guard Salvage Engineering Response Team is working with stakeholders, and a refloat plan was approved this morning. Attempts to refloat the vessel are underway, but Faba did not know when it’s expected to be back underway.
At around 10:30 a.m., the ship was stuck diagonally in the river. Two tug boats, one from Ontario and one from Minnesota, were alongside the freighter.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
satwood@detroitnews.com
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Ohio3 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera