Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Detroit Lions’ Trevor Nowaske ‘back where we belong’ after brief detour to Arizona

Published

on

Detroit Lions’ Trevor Nowaske ‘back where we belong’ after brief detour to Arizona


play

The deal was done, or as close to being done in the NFL as it could be.

The Detroit Lions waived Trevor Nowaske two days before their game against the Dallas Cowboys in December and planned to re-sign him to the practice squad the next day.

Advertisement

Nowaske, who grew up in metro Detroit, played at Saginaw Valley State in college and signed with the Lions as an undrafted free agent, was on board with the move. He enjoyed his time with the Lions, liked the team and his linebacker room, so he drove to the practice facility to sign his deal, only to be told there was a wrench in the works.

ON THE MOVE: Dan Campbell’s opinion of Lions fans hasn’t changed after harassment made him sell house

A team had claimed Nowaske off waivers — the Lions said they didn’t know who at the time — and Nowaske had to go home, talk to his agent and get on a plane for his next team.

A few hours later, Nowaske was in Arizona. On Sunday, when the Lions visit the Cardinals, Nowaske’s experience in the circle of NFL life will be complete.

Advertisement

“It kind of feels like I just took a little vacation, to be honest,” said Nowaske, who rejoined the Lions as a waiver claim from the Cardinals in August. “I walked back in this place and nothing’s changed. Linebacker room’s (about the same). Everyone’s welcomed me with open arms. Good to be back. Family’s happy to be back here. Not a lot of traveling for them, which is nice. But yeah, honestly I walked in for the first day and was kind of wondering what to expect but literally it feels like I picked up right where I left off, so happy to be back.”

The Lions jumped at the chance to add Nowaske to their linebacker room when he was one of the Cardinals’ final cuts at last month’s roster deadline.

Like the Lions eight months earlier, Arizona tried to sneak Nowaske through on waivers only to find his special-teams ability was in demand around the league.

Advertisement

“We were disappointed when we lost him last year,” Lions general manager Brad Holmes said last month. “We were just in one of those spots where you’re trying to sneak a guy through, and I don’t know if there’s any sneaking anymore in this league, but we just couldn’t. We were trying to get him back on practice squad and people had their eyes on him. And I’m not surprised because he does have a lot of upside with his size, he’s got straight-line speed, he’s tough, he’s physical, he has instincts for special teams.

“I think that’s one of the things that, you look at a special teams player, you look at size, speed, trying to get downfield, being able to break down open field, but he has instincts. He’s got the spatial awareness to understand where the ball’s coming. And so, all those things, it makes him have a bright future at special teams and he’s still going to be growing as a linebacker as well.”

Nowaske has been inactive the first two games this season, but could have a role Sunday if Alex Anzalone is unable to clear concussion protocol before the game.

More: Lions’ Dave Fipp: ‘A lot of things I could have done different’ on costly penalty vs Tampa

He told the Free Press last week his roundabout journey from Detroit to Arizona to Detroit again was a lesson in the business side of the NFL, but one he’s grateful for.

Advertisement

“I’m from here, went to college here, this is my first NFL team, I had never been outside of Michigan living-wise, so it was definitely, for me, that was probably the hardest part,” Nowaske said. “It’s a three-hour time difference in Arizona. Last year, I was living with my parents (when I played for the Lions) and now all of a sudden I’ve got to find an apartment, kind of all these new things.

“But I learned a lot through the process. I learned it’s a business and you got to kind of just go with the flow and roll with the punches and whatever happens, happens. Like I said, we’re back where we belong.”

Nowaske has nothing but good things to say about his time in Arizona.

He didn’t appear in a regular-season game for the team, but had a strong camp, by all accounts, and played for a special teams coordinator, Jeff Rodgers, who has a similar background to Lions special teams coordinator Dave Fipp. Both count the now-retired Larry Mac Duff as one of their coaching influences.

When the Cardinals waived him last month, Nowaske said he never considered the possibility of being reclaimed by the Lions. He planned to re-sign with Arizona, but this time, he was more prepared for his move.

Advertisement

“Best-case scenario it was here,” Nowaske said. “I know they value me here, I know I have good relationships here. I love the culture and what we’re doing here, so hell yeah, I’m pumped that they see a future with me and, yeah, believe in me enough to claim me and put me on the active roster and whatever I can do to help, that’s my next step. So I definitely appreciate it. Like I said, I knew I had good film out there and I know last year I built good relationships in this building so I was very, very happy when I found out I got claimed here.”

Dave Birkett is the author of the new book, “Detroit Lions: An Illustrated Timeline.” Preorder it now from Reedy Press.

Contact him at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on X and Instagram at @davebirkett.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Detroit, MI

Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says

Published

on

Southfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says


The Southfield Freeway was closed Thursday night after a shooting occurred in the area of M-39 near Joy Road, the Michigan State Police reported on X.

“Troopers are currently in the preliminary stages of the investigation, and additional information will be released as it becomes available,” the state police said.

Officials said the freeway is expected to remain closed for “several hours while investigators process the scene.” There was no indication about whether anyone was injured in the shooting. The state police gave no further details.

“The roadway will be reopened as soon as the investigation allows,” the state police said.

Advertisement

rburr@detroitnews.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan drops out of Michigan governor race

Published

on

Former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan drops out of Michigan governor race


DETROIT – Mike Duggan is dropping out of the race for Michigan’s next governor.

The former Detroit mayor announced his withdrawal as an Independent candidate from the 2026 gubernatorial race on Thursday, May 21, on his campaign website.

You can read his full statement below:

Dear Friends,

I am so disappointed to have to write you this letter.

Advertisement

For the last 18 months I’ve worked every day to try to change Michigan’s toxic party politics.  I’ve been supported by hundreds of volunteers who believe deeply that years of constant Democratic-Republican conflict in Lansing have led to our schools declining, our housing costs rising, and our young people moving out of Michigan in record numbers.

We knew the Independent route was filled with challenge. Even against those odds, the excitement for real change carried this campaign upward for more than a year.  In every one of the 5-10 town halls a week I was holding across Michigan, we hosted Democrat, Republican, and Independent neighbors all mixed together in lively and positive discussions.  It was a remarkable experience.

But by April, the mood of the country had shifted suddenly and dramatically.  Democrats (and many Independents) were unified in anger as Trump’s war in Iran dragged on and gas prices rose above $5 a gallon.  On May 5, the Democratic State Senate candidate in Saginaw won 60% of the vote in a seat Republicans thought would be very competitive.

Against the Democratic headwinds, we worked twice as hard.  We continued to pile up huge numbers of union endorsements, once the unions learned that Michigan election law allowed voters to vote both straight ticket Democrat and also vote Duggan as an Independent. 

But for the public in general, our internal polling showed the intense anger over gas prices and Iran was boosting Democrats in every office nationally.  The Chamber poll last week showing we’d fallen 11 points behind the Democratic candidate reflects that reality.

Advertisement

Being down 11 points in May wouldn’t discourage me – I’ve been down worse than that in the past.  But this time it’s compounded by our inability to build serious national fundraising support.  Michigan donors have been extraordinarily generous in supporting this campaign – 94% of my donors come from Michigan.  We raised more in-state than any other candidate. 

But Governor’s campaigns are today funded overwhelmingly from well-established networks of national party money, which is why I’ve been all across America meeting with national groups to try to build a competitive fundraising network for Independents.  There is much interest, but we’ve finally concluded the national fundraising for these groups is too much in its infancy to be of great help to our race in 2026.   As generous as our Michigan donors have been, we will be strongly outspent by the national Republican and Democratic parties this fall.

If we were even in the polls and behind in fundraising, we have a path to winning.  If we were behind in the polls and even in fundraising, we have a path. But we’re behind in both.   It’s just not right to ask our volunteers, faith leaders, unions, elected officials and donors to continue in a campaign that, in my heart, I no longer feel good about our chances to win.

I got into this race to try to change our politics, not to be a spoiler.  I’m still hopeful our campaign will prove to have a real long-term impact.  23% support in the last poll means more than 1.6 million Michigan voters are today looking for a Governor candidate serious about reducing the toxic partisan politics.  If the candidates on the ballot this year take that message to heart and truly reach out to those voters, we will have accomplished something important.

I will never be able to express the gratitude I feel for all your support and encouragement.  I wish I could have done better for you.

Advertisement

Mike Duggan

Duggan was the first candidate to announce his bid for governor, as he made the announcement after he finished serving as Detroit’s mayor.

The once-Democrat was credited by many for leading Detroit out of bankruptcy into a thriving city.

He was elected mayor in 2013, running a write-in campaign after a ballot challenge.

Since Duggan was in office, violent crime decreased, and Detroit’s population increased slightly in 2023. That was the first uptick in population since the 1950s.

Advertisement

Current candidates running for Michigan’s next governor include Democrats Jocelyn Benson and Chris Swanson, and Republicans John James, Aric Nesbitt, Mike Cox, Perry Johnson and Ralph Rebandt.

Benson, in response to Duggan’s announcement, released the following statement:

“I want to thank Mayor Mike Duggan for what he brought to this race and for his years of service to Detroit. At a time when politics can feel divided and cynical, we need more civility, more listening, and more people willing to work together to move our state forward. I welcome Mayor Duggan’s ideas, his supporters, and everyone who believes Michigan’s future is bigger than division — and that it can be a place where anyone can afford to live, work, and thrive. We may not always agree on everything, but we share a commitment to building a stronger Michigan. And that work continues in this campaign.”

Jocelyn Benson, Secretary of State and Democratic candidate in Michigan gubernatorial race

James also released the following statement in response to Duggan’s announcement:

“I want to thank Mike Duggan for his years of service to the people of Michigan and Detroit. I respect anyone willing to step into the arena and serve something bigger than themselves. While we have real disagreements on policy, we both recognize Michigan is headed in the wrong direction.

Our state has endured too much decline and political dysfunction. I’m ready to work with anyone willing to deliver real solutions, reject the politics of division, and fight for safer communities, stronger families and economic growth. Our state’s future is too important for anything less.”

Advertisement

John James, representative for Michigan’s 10th district and Republican candidate in Michigan’s gubernatorial race

Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say

Published

on

Air France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say


An Air France flight from Paris to Detroit, Michigan, was forced to divert to Montreal, Canada, on Wednesday due to U.S. flight restrictions linked to the Ebola outbreak after it was determined that one of the passengers was from the Democratic Republic of Congo, federal officials said.

Air France boarded the passenger “in error on a flight to the United States,” a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesperson told CBS News in a statement.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” the CBP spokesperson said. “CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.”

CBP did not say when the person had last been in the Congo or whether they were showing symptoms of the virus. It wasn’t immediately clear if the passenger was a Congolese national or had been traveling there.

Advertisement

When reached about the incident, the Federal Aviation Administration directed CBS News to CBP. 

CBS News has also reached out to Air France and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for comment.

According to the flight tracking website FlightAware, Air France Flight 378 from Paris-Charles de Gaulle International Airport landed at Montreal Trudeau International Airport at 5:15 p.m. ET. The status of the passenger from the Congo was unknown. It was also unclear whether the flight, with the rest of the passengers, would continue on to Detroit.

On Monday, the CDC announced that people without U.S. passports who had traveled to Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the past three weeks would be restricted from entering the country.

Earlier Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency of CBP, confirmed that beginning Thursday, it would require all U.S.-bound flights carrying foreign travelers who have been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan at any point in the previous 21 days to fly into Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

Advertisement

The rule, according to its language, is designed to funnel those travelers to an airport “where the U.S. government is focusing public health resources to implement enhanced public health measures.”

It’s unclear how the DHS rule impacts the CDC’s earlier order.

An Ebola outbreak centered in eastern Congo was confirmed May 15 by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday there were at least 600 suspected Ebola cases so far, including 139 suspected deaths from the virus. 

Health officials say the new outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments, according to CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Céline Gounder. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending