Detroit, MI
After Deep Dive, Detroit Lions Learned What Went Wrong With Offense
The Detroit Lions offense failed to meet expectations at certain points throughout the 2025 NFL season.
With center Frank Ragnow abruptly retiring, the team’s offensive line struggled to gel, resulting in the run game being inconsistent and quarterback Jared Goff being pressured far more often than he or the coaching staff would like.
Speaking with Fox 2 Detroit at the annual league meetings, head coach Dan Campbell shared what he learned following a deep dive of last year’s film.
Follow
“I think a lot of it, our efficiency was not good,” said Campbell. “We’ve heard that word a lot, that’s with the run game. In critical moments, what we’ve done a really good job of for four years prior to last year, was when we needed to run the ball, when we needed it in criticals, to set up the rest of the game, it was there for us, we found a way. We were not able to do that.”
With both tight ends suffering injuries, the ability to block effectively was clearly noticeable. Sam LaPorta and Brock Wright are a significant reason the Lions’ offense had success the past couple of seasons.
Removing them both from the offense had a detrimental impact on the ability to rush the football and to extend drives.
Far too often, Detroit’s third-down conversion percentages were not at the rate needed to keep drives extended. In the end, the struggles of the offense put the defense in disadvantageous positions as well.
“Look, there’s multiple reasons. It falls on my shoulders, some of it was the offensive line, some of it was losing Sam LaPorta and Brock Wright,” said Campbell. “That had a significant blow too, now. All of those things. That’s why we go through the cut-ups. You check yourself, but also, from a personnel standpoint, where can we get a little bit better and help our guys.”
While Campbell did not mention the issues with John Morton, Detroit’s offense was not the same with the experienced coach at the helm.
Explosive plays were a struggle and Goff was forced to toss the football quite quickly. His average air yards per pass was down compared to 2024.
Detroit made the decision to part ways with Morton and hired Drew Petzing to lead the offense in 2026. Campbell indicated he has been impressed very early on with what the former Cardinals coordinator has brought to the table.
For more comprehensive Detroit Lions coverage and NFL insider analysis, follow us on X, @detroitpodcast, head on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, subscribe to the Detroit Lions On SI Lone Wolves YouTube Channel.
Detroit, MI
Rain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event
DETROIT – Hundreds of Detroiters ditched the paper application and showed up ready to work Saturday, demonstrating their trade skills live in front of contractors looking to hire — right outside Comerica Park.
More than 620 people turned out for the event, braving wet weather to complete a hands-on skills course designed to let job seekers prove what they could do on the spot.
“We’re out in the rain and we’re supporting the city of Detroit,” said Luke Harris, one of the job seekers who participated.
The rain didn’t slow anyone down. Determined applicants trudged through puddles to finish the skills course, performing directly in front of contractors scouting for new hires.
Guy Cohoon of Clark Contracting Services said he was looking for one thing above all else: “Anyone that wants to come in, work hard, and show up every day on time.”
Partners unite to put Detroiters to work
The event was organized by a coalition of local partners, including Olympia Development, the Detroit Tigers, the city of Detroit, and the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters.
Tom Lutz, executive secretary treasurer of the Northern Midwest Regional Council of Carpenters, said the goal is simple: open doors. “Getting those doors open and providing those opportunities is what we’re doing,” Lutz said.
Rian English-Barnhill, vice president of government and community affairs for Olympia Development, echoed that commitment. “We are all leaning in to put Detroiters to work,” she said.
For many attendees, the event represented more than just a job fair — it was a chance to change their trajectory.
“I don’t know if it’s a for sure opportunity, but it’s an opportunity,” said Markiest Doss, one of the job seekers who participated. “Just ready to upgrade in life.”
Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
Detroit, MI
Michigan man dies months after alleged attack by DoorDash driver
A 75-year-old Wixom man who was allegedly attacked by a DoorDash driver back in December has died from his injuries on May 16, his family says
Lloyd Poole’s stepdaughter, Lindsey Gonzalez, tells CBS Detroit that Poole and his wife had just gotten back from Ireland before this alleged attack, and they had plans to travel to Alaska.
“It stinks that basically my mom and his golden years of traveling and being retired was taken away by this man,” said Gonzalez.
“He had seven different brain surgeries during that time, numerous infections during that time. He ended up with pneumonia a couple times. It was just a downwhirl spiral since everything happened that night,” said Gonzalez.
Police say on Dec. 28, officers were called to the area of Barberry Circle and Windingway Drive for a report of a man lying unconscious in the roadway. Authorities say that 40-year-old Ryan Daniel Turner, a DoorDash driver, went to the police station and admitted to punching Poole after he was confronted for speeding through the neighborhood.
“The medical examiner did rule the cause of death as homicide by blunt force head trauma,” Gonzalez told CBS Detroit.
Records show that Turner was arraigned on one count of aggravated assault. He is due back in court for a pre-trial hearing. However, Poole’s family says they are frustrated that Turner is out on bond.
“I mean, he’s out on bond on house arrest on a tether, so he’s not going anywhere, but he’s still sitting out, and this happened to Lloyd,” said Gonzalez.
CBS News Detroit reached out to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office, which says it is aware of Poole’s death. It is unclear if charges will be updated.
Detroit, MI
Grading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
The Detroit Lions checked off a major item from their offseason to-do list Thursday.
They inked linebacker Jack Campbell, the heart and soul of their defense, to a four-year contract extension worth $81 million (reportedly $51.5 million guaranteed). It was a well-deserved extension for Campbell, who was named to his first Pro Bowl and earned first-team AP All-Pro honors in 2025.
The 25-year-old will enter the 2026 season as the second-highest paid off-ball linebacker in the NFL at $20.25 million per year, trailing only San Francisco’s Fred Warner ($21M/year).
Campbell led all Lions defenders – and finished second in the league – with 176 tackles last season, while playing in all but eight of the team’s 1,105 defensive snaps. He also notched career-high totals in sacks (five), forced fumbles (three) and fumble recoveries (two) while recording a Pro Football Focus overall grade of 90.2. It marked the second-best PFF overall grade among 88 qualified linebackers a season ago.
In addition to his high-level production, Campbell has donned the green dot and served as the de facto “quarterback” of the defense the last two seasons, relaying calls to the rest of the unit from Detroit’s defensive coaching staff.
Lions head man Dan Campbell offered high praise for the middle linebacker this past December.
“He’s our bell cow,” Campbell said. “He’s smart and he’s instinctive, and he is snap to whistle all out, all the time. In practice, too. And he doesn’t take plays off, he doesn’t take days off. He goes after the football, he’s a ball guy. So, he’s invaluable.”
Additional Lions Insider Analysis: Exploring If Germany Game Will Significantly Impact Lions 2026 Season
The fourth-year pro has grown into an immensely valuable member of Detroit’s defense, morphing from an inconsistently productive, part-time starter in 2023 (57.3 PFF grade) to one of the NFL’s very best linebackers. And the Iowa product has proven to be especially proficient against the run, with no less than a 75.9 PFF run-defense grade in his first three NFL seasons.
Campbell has proven time and time again he’s capable of captaining a defense, and he’s more than validated Detroit general manager Brad Holmes’ initially criticized decision to select an off-ball linebacker at No. 18 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.
“This is Jack Campbell’s defense,” Lions defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard told reporters at the NFL combine in February. “And I don’t hesitate when I say that. This is Jack Campbell’s defense, and everybody in that locker room knows it, point blank, period. It all goes through Jack.”
He’s more than earned the right to be the leader of Sheppard’s unit, and Detroit should be in good hands with Campbell patrolling the middle of the defense in 2026.
Holmes & Co. made an extremely wise decision locking up the gritty linebacker until 2030 and should be commended for such. At this present juncture, I believe the Campbell extension deserves an “A” grade.
Follow
-
Fitness6 minutes agoI’m a postnatal fitness expert – here’s why it’s not just all about kegel exercises
-
Movie Reviews18 minutes agoMovie review: ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’: The Force is dull in this one
-
World30 minutes agoIran's top negotiator says Tehran will not compromise in talks with US
-
News36 minutes agoVideo: A Haitian Mother Waits for Court’s Ruling on TPS — and Her Future
-
Health1 hour agoVideo: How Profit-Seeking Autism Clinics Can Harm Kids
-
Lifestyle1 hour agoShein buys Everlane, which sold millennials the dream of ethical, affordable luxury
-
Technology2 hours agoThe man behind the legendary MPC, Roger Linn, stays focused with a single browser tab
-
World2 hours agoChina deployed over 100 vessels near Taiwan in the wake of Trump-Xi summit, Taiwan security official claims