Connect with us

World

Pezeshkian calls for unity as Iran marks 1979 Revolution anniversary

Published

on

Pezeshkian calls for unity as Iran marks 1979 Revolution anniversary

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has called for national unity in the face of external threats while insisting that his government is willing to negotiate over its nuclear programme, at a huge public ceremony in Tehran commemorating the 47th anniversary of the founding of the Islamic Republic.

Large crowds gathered in the capital and other cities around the country in a show of support for the government as Iran observed the 1979 anniversary amid one of the most difficult moments in the country’s recent history.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Following the latest round of talks on Iran’s nuclear programme, United States President Donald Trump has continued to threaten Tehran with potential military attacks if it does not accede to Washington’s demands on issues ranging from nuclear enrichment to ballistic missiles, with the US leader reportedly considering sending another aircraft carrier group to the region.

Alongside the threats from the US, Iran is grappling with bitter internal divisions amid the fallout from its deadly crackdown on protests earlier this year, in which thousands of protesters were killed, and a cratering economy.

Addressing the crowds in Tehran’s Azadi Square, Pezeshkian called for solidarity amongst Iranians in the face of “conspiracies from imperial powers”.

Advertisement

“We are standing together … in solidarity in the face of all conspiracies targeting our nation,” he said, adding that the strength and unity of the Iranian people “gives rise to worry within our enemy”.

“We should continue to stand side by side.”

Regarding the nuclear talks, he said Iran was “not seeking nuclear weapons” and was “ready for any kind of verification”.

However, he said, the “high wall of mistrust” created by the US and Europe “does not allow these talks to reach a conclusion”.

“At the same time, we are engaging with full determination in dialogue aimed at peace and stability in the region alongside our neighbouring countries,” he added.

Advertisement

Pezeshkian apologises

Addressing the recent protests, which began with demonstrations over the high cost of living and the plummeting currency before broadening into other grievances against the government, Pezeshkian apologised for the government’s shortcomings, and said it was making “every possible effort” to fix the problems.

“We are ready to listen to the voice of the people. We are servants of the people. We are not seeking to confront the people,” he said.

He blamed “malicious propaganda” circulated by Iran’s enemies for inflaming the unrest, which he referred to as riots.

“The efforts that our enemies are making to create deep wounds in society and widen divisions, we must heal these wounds,” he said.

Iran ‘open to deal’

Speaking to Al Jazeera from Tehran, Ali Akbar Dareini, a researcher at the Centre for Strategic Studies, said Pezeshkian’s speech signalled Iran was “open to a fair and balanced deal with the United States”.

Advertisement

“While he did not go into any details, saying Iran is open to that means that Iran, at the same time, will resist unrealistic demands from the United States that seek to disarm Iran or deny Iran of its sovereign rights,” he said.

He said Pezeshkian’s speech acknowledged that the public’s grievances with the government were legitimate, stressing his government would do its best to resolve the problems.

Reporting from Tehran, Al Jazeera’s Resul Serdar said the anniversary commemorations were taking place at a critical moment for Iran, as the country faced external threats and significant internal division.

“There’s a huge demand for change,” he said, adding that meanwhile, “the establishment wants to show it has the people’s support.”

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had issued a call on Tuesday for Iranians to turn out and join the celebrations, which were attended by senior political, military and religious figures.

Advertisement

US, Israeli flags burned

The commemorations featured prominent symbols of anti-US and anti-Israeli sentiment, with people burning and trampling the flags of those countries.

Iranian media showed images of symbolic coffins draped in US flags and bearing the names and portraits of US military commanders, while Iranian missiles and the wreckage of Israeli drones shot down during last year’s 12-day war were displayed.

In the streets, people waved images of Khamenei and Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic, alongside Iranian and Palestinian flags. Some chanted “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!”

Dareini, from Tehran’s Centre for Strategic Studies, said the commemorations were a significant manifestation of solidarity at a critical juncture for Iran.

“Israelis and Americans have been seeking to break national solidarity in Iran, but today’s rallies around the country are a manifestation of solidarity,” he said.

Advertisement

Diplomatic push continues

The commemorations in Iran have come amid ongoing diplomatic efforts surrounding the nuclear negotiations with the US, as Washington has continued to threaten military action.

On Wednesday, Iran’s security chief Ali Larijani left Oman, where he had met with Sultan Haitham bin Tariq Al Said and the country’s foreign minister to discuss the results of talks between US and Iranian officials in the sultanate last week, for Qatar.

Qatar, which hosts a major US military installation that Iran attacked in June after Washington’s attacks on Iranian nuclear sites, has been a key negotiator in the past with Iran.

Larijani is expected to meet with Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad ⁠Al Thani ⁠during the visit, which comes shortly after the emir discussed efforts for regional de-escalation and stability in a phone call with Trump, the ⁠Emiri Diwan said on Wednesday.

The emir and Trump discussed “supporting diplomatic efforts aimed at addressing ‌crises through dialogue and peaceful means”, the Diwan said.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to meet Trump in Washington on Wednesday, where the Israeli leader is expected to present his government’s concerns over any potential deal with Iran.

Netanyahu has said he will present Trump with “principles” for negotiating with Iran during the visit, where he is also scheduled to meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

World

EU Commission targets WTO’s key rule in push to rebalance China trade

Published

on

EU Commission targets WTO’s key rule in push to rebalance China trade

Published on

As the EU’s trade deficit with China keeps widening, the European Commission wants to revisit the WTO rule requiring members to extend the lowest tariff granted to one partner to all, known as the “Most Favoured Nation” principle under global trade rules.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

The status is important as it has shaped trade for decades and allowed countries like China to benefit from low tariffs even as it transitions from an emerging to a sophisticated market as the world’s second largest economy.

Advertisement

With this new proposal, Brussels would link low tariffs to reciprocal market access. The move comes as European companies face persistent barriers in China, which has grown it trade surplus with the world and the EU despite calls to rebalance the relationship.

“The low tariffs should be matched with equal access to your [a trading partner’s] markets,” Šefčovič said on Friday after a meeting of EU trade ministers in Cyprus, adding: “I think that there has to be fairness on both sides.”

EU’s goods trade deficit with China keeps ballooning

The issue is set to surface at the WTO’s ministerial conference in Cameroon in March, one year after President Donald Trump jolted global trade with sweeping unilateral tariffs that challenged the multilateral system and have now been struck down by court.

WTO reform will dominate the gathering as policymakers grapple with a geo-economic landscape shaped by increasingly nationalist trade policies in both the US and China.

The “Most Favoured Nation” rule was designed to prevent discrimination among trading partners. But Brussels now sees it as contributing to structural imbalances with China.

Advertisement

“When this principle was embedded into the international trade law and WTO practices, simply the world was different,” Šefčovič said. “The GDP of China represented around 5 to 6%. Today we are at the level of 20%.”

The EU’s goods trade deficit with China widened to €359.3 billion in 2025.

Critics have long argued that Beijing has not fully adhered to WTO practices since it joined the institution in 2001, citing extensive Chinese government state subsidies. Since, its economy has grown to become the second largest in the world only behind the US.

“The past three decades global trade has changed profoundly. Some WTO members have dramatically expanded their share of global trade, while keeping their own markets relatively closed,” Commissioner Šefčovič said on Friday. “And at the same time, state support and non-market policies have multiplied.”

The “Most Favoured Nation” rule has also been called into question by the deals struck over the past year by the US with trading partners under the threat of steeper tariffs.

Advertisement

The EU-US agreement concluded last July sets 15% US tariffs on EU goods, while the EU committed to granting preferential treatment with zero tariffs on US imports.

Still, the trade agreements announced by the Trump administration have not been notified to the WTO, even though members are required to do so to allow others to assess their compliance with WTO rules.

The tariffs have also been declared ilegal by the US Supreme Court on the basis that the president exceeded his mandate by invoking emergency laws to push them throw. The ruling adds uncertainty to an already complex geopolitical context.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Where King Charles' brother Andrew shows up in the Epstein files

Published

on

Where King Charles' brother Andrew shows up in the Epstein files
King Charles’ younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations that he sent confidential government documents to the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. He was released later in the day and has not been charged with a crime.
Continue Reading

World

Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

Published

on

Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran is rebuilding nuclear sites damaged in previous U.S. strikes and “preparing for war,” despite engaging in talks with the Trump administration, according to a prominent Iranian opposition figure.

Alireza Jafarzadeh, deputy director of the Washington office of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), said newly released satellite images also prove the regime has accelerated its efforts to restore its “$2 trillion” uranium enrichment capabilities.

“The regime has clearly stepped up efforts to rebuild its uranium enrichment capabilities,” Jafarzadeh told Fox News Digital. “It is preparing itself for a possible war by trying to preserve its nuclear weapons program and ensure its protection.”

IRAN SAYS US MUST ‘PROVE THEY WANT TO DO A DEAL’ ON NUCLEAR TALKS IN GENEVA

Advertisement

Reconstruction activity appears to be underway at Iran’s Isfahan nuclear complex. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)

“That said, the ongoing rebuilding of Iran’s uranium enrichment capabilities is particularly alarming as the regime is now engaged in nuclear talks with the United States,” he added.

New satellite images released by Earth intelligence monitor Planet Labs show reconstruction activity appears to be underway at the Isfahan complex.

Isfahan is one of three Iranian uranium enrichment plants targeted in the U.S. military operation known as “Midnight Hammer.”

The June 22 operation involved coordinated Air Force and Navy strikes on the Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan facilities.

Advertisement

US POSITIONS AIRCRAFT CARRIERS, STRIKE PLATFORMS ACROSS MIDDLE EAST AS IRAN TALKS SHIFT TO OMAN

A satellite image shows tunnel entrances covered with soil at Isfahan nuclear complex. (Vantor/Handout via Reuters)

Despite the damage, the satellite images show Iran has buried entrances to a tunnel complex at the site, according to Reuters.

Similar steps were reportedly taken at the Natanz facility, which houses two additional enrichment plants.

“These efforts in Isfahan involve rebuilding its centrifuge program and other activities related to uranium enrichment,” Jafarzadeh said.

Advertisement

The renewed movements come as Iran participated in talks with the U.S. in Geneva.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump warned that “bad things” would happen if Iran did not make a deal.

While the talks were aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, Jafarzadeh argues that for the regime, talks would be nothing more than a tactical delay.

TRUMP SAYS IRAN ALREADY HAS US TERMS AS MILITARY STRIKE CLOCK TICKS

Iran Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “agreed to the nuclear talks as it would give the regime crucial time to avoid or limit the consequences of confrontation with the West,” according to Jafarzadeh. ( Office of the Supreme Leader of Iran via Getty Images)

Advertisement

“Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei agreed to the nuclear talks as it would give the regime crucial time to avoid or limit the consequences of confrontation with the West,” he said.

Jafarzadeh also described the regime spending at least “$2 trillion” on nuclear capabilities, which he said “is higher than the entire oil revenue generated since the regime came to power in Iran in 1979.” 

“Tehran is trying to salvage whatever has remained of its nuclear weapons program and quickly rebuild it,” he said. “It has heavily invested in the nuclear weapons program as a key tool for the survival of the regime.”

IRANIAN OFFICIAL SAYS NUCLEAR TALKS WILL CONTINUE AFTER US, TEHRAN NEGOTIATIONS HAD ‘A GOOD START’ IN OMAN

Satellite imagery taken on January 30, 2026, shows a new roof over a previously destroyed building at the Natanz nuclear site. (2026 PLANET LABS PBC/Handout via Reuters)

Advertisement

Jafarzadeh is best known for publicly revealing the existence of Iran’s Natanz nuclear site in 2002, which led to inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and intensified global scrutiny of Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

“The insistence of the Iranian regime during the nuclear talks on maintaining its uranium enrichment capabilities, while rebuilding its damaged sites, is a clear indication that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has no plans to abandon its nuclear weapons program,” he said.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The National Council of Resistance of Iran, led by Maryam Rajavi, exposed for the first time the nuclear sites in Natanz, Arak, Fordow and more than 100 other sites and projects, Jafarzadeh said, “despite a massive crackdown by the regime on this movement.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending