Southeast
175 wildfires in North and South Carolina force some evacuations
Firefighters across North and South Carolina battled more than 175 wildfires that erupted over the weekend in windy and dry conditions and forced residents to evacuate some neighborhoods.
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster declared a state of emergency on Sunday as more than 175 fires burned over 4,200 acres in the state.
The largest wildfire was reported in the Carolina Forest area, about 10 miles west of the coastal city of Myrtle Beach. That blaze scorched 1,600 acres and was 30% contained as of Sunday evening, according to the South Carolina Forestry Commission.
Residents had been ordered to evacuate several neighborhoods near that wildfire, but by late Sunday afternoon, the evacuation order was lifted, Horry County Fire Rescue said.
WILDFIRES SCORCH THE CAROLINAS, SC GOVERNOR MCMASTER DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY
Two people are seen leaving an area where crews worked to contain a fire in the Carolina Forest area west of the coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Sunday. (WMBF-TV via AP)
No structures were destroyed, and no injuries were reported as of Sunday evening.
In North Carolina, the U.S. Forest Service said fire crews were working to contain multiple wildfires burning in four forests across the state on Sunday.
Crews work to contain a fire in the Carolina Forest area west of the coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Sunday. (WMBF-TV via AP)
The largest, about 400 acres, was at Uwharrie National Forest, about 50 miles east of Charlotte. The Forest Service said Sunday afternoon that it had made progress on the fire, reaching about one-third containment.
WOMAN ACCUSED OF LOOTING FROM HOME IN PALISADES FIRE AREA WHILE WEARING ‘PALISADES STRONG’ SHIRT
Meanwhile, a brush fire in the Blue Ridge Mountains, about 40 miles south of Asheville, is between 400 and 500 acres and is 0% contained, as of Sunday afternoon, according to the North Carolina Forest Service.
A helicopter drops water to help contain a fire in the Carolina Forest area west of the coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Sunday. (WMBF-TV via AP)
The Melrose Fire, burning in the Saluda and Tryon communities, was caused by a downed power line, according to Saluda Fire & Rescue. The fire rapidly spread up the mountain, threatening multiple structures and forcing some residents to evacuate.
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Fire officials have not said what caused any of the fires.
Fox News Digital’s Alexandra Koch and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Largest measles outbreak in recent history reported on southwestern Florida college campus
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
More than 40 measles cases have been reported at Ave Maria University in southwest Florida, marking the largest outbreak on an American college campus in recent history.
The situation at the private Catholic college comes amid a broader national increase in measles cases, with 2,280 confirmed infections nationwide in 2025 and more than 900 cases reported so far in 2026.
“Since the start of the semester, 48 nurse-assessed students have progressed beyond the contagious period and now have natural immunity,” Ave Maria University posted in an online update on Feb. 10.
MEASLES OUTBREAK POSES RISK OF ‘IRREVERSIBLE’ BRAIN DAMAGE, HEALTH OFFICIALS WARN
Several universities have reported measles activity this year. Clemson University and Anderson University in South Carolina each reported single cases that led to the quarantine of a larger group of students.
The University of Florida also reported exposure in two specific classes at its Gainesville campus.
Several universities have reported measles activity this year, but the scale at Ave Maria sets it apart from the others. (iStock)
The Florida Department of Health (DOH) recently updated its data to show 46 confirmed measles cases across Collier County from Jan. 1 through Feb. 7, with the university serving as the primary site of the cluster.
TEST YOURSELF WITH OUR LATEST LIFESTYLE QUIZ
The contagious period for measles includes the four days before and after a rash appears, according to the DOH.
More than 40 measles cases have been reported at Ave Maria University in southwest Florida, marking the largest outbreak on an American college campus in recent history. (Jeffrey Greenberg/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
“All nurse-assessed students on campus within the four-day contagious period following the onset of a rash are in quarantine,” the university stated in the latest update.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE HEALTH STORIES
Ave Maria University requires proof of vaccination but, in accordance with Florida law, allows students to opt out by signing a waiver for religious or personal reasons.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR HEALTH NEWSLETTER
The “vast majority” of the campus community is vaccinated, according to university health updates. The school remains open for normal operations, including in-person classes and Mass.
The “vast majority” of the campus community is vaccinated, and the school remains open for normal operations, including in-person classes and Mass. (iStock)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
People with a history of infection or who have received the full series of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization are 98% protected and are unlikely to contract measles, according to the DOH.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Florida police arrested an agitator outside President Donald Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course this weekend.
Investigators said the man, identified as Paul Messer, was engaging with protesters across from the golf club on Sunday when he got into a verbal dispute with a woman and struck her multiple times in the upper chest and neck with a metal flagpole, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
The woman stumbled backward and had visible redness on the right side of her neck. Messer was taken into custody and transported to the Palm Beach County Jail on a battery charge.
A Palm Beach Post photo later emerged appearing to show the suspect holding an anti-Trump flag and arguing with a woman wearing a pro-Trump hat.
ATTEMPTED TRUMP ASSASSIN TO LEARN SENTENCE, WITH PROSECUTORS SEEKING LIFE
U.S. President Donald Trump spent the weekend at his Mar-a-Lago resort this weekend. (Nathan Howard/Reuters)
The altercation came just weeks after Trump played golf with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis at the Trump International Golf Club. Rounding out their foursome were college football coaching legends Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.
President Trump golfed at the Trump International Golf Course last weekend. (Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images)
SMILING ANTI-ICE AGITATOR ACCUSED OF PUNCHING FLORIDA TROOPER AS DESANTIS ASSERTS ‘THIS IS NOT MINNEAPOLIS’
Trump signaled warmer relations with the Florida governor last summer, and Florida has in turn increasingly aligned itself with key Trump administration priorities.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (l.) and President Trump played golf in late January, in what could be a sign of a thaw in their relationship.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Among those priorities is the “Make America Healthy Again” initiative launched by Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services, which DeSantis has moved to embrace. As a result, DeSantis’ state kicked off its “Healthy Florida First” initiative in January, an effort across the state to test for contaminants in food products that DeSantis said is in lockstep with the administration’s priorities.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This report has been updated with more context on the altercation.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Two illegal aliens arrested in violent suburban home invasion involving sexual assault, kidnapping: police
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Authorities announced Monday that two illegal immigrants were arrested last week in connection with a “violent” home invasion in North Carolina that sent one victim to the hospital.
The reported burglary occurred in a suburban neighborhood in the middle of the night on Wednesday, the Pitt County Sheriff said.
“At 3:16 a.m. on February 11, 2026, Pitt County deputies responded to a reported assault at 200 Louis Street in the Cherry Oaks neighborhood of Greenville. Arriving deputies determined that the incident was a home invasion,” the agency said.
“Both arrested suspects were discovered to be in the United States illegally.”
AFGHAN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT WHO STABBED SISTER FOR BEING ‘BAD MUSLIM GIRL’ ARRESTED BY ICE AGENTS IN NEW YORK
Homeless 20-year-old Jonathan David Garcia-Lario was arrested on Feb. 13, 2026, following a reported burglary. (Pitt County Sheriff)
Police arrested the suspects two days later, identifying them as 20-year-old homeless man Jonathan David Garcia-Lario and 21-year-old Chapel Hill resident Zaid Mayen. Investigators said they recovered related evidence at an apartment in Chapel Hill, roughly two hours from the crime scene.
The suspects are accused of committing multiple serious crimes, including rape or an equivalent forcible offense, kidnapping, burglary and using a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
They are each facing four felony charges for first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree forcible sex offense, and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflicting serious injury.
Authorities did not confirm the nature or extent of the victim’s injuries but said the individual was taken to a local hospital by ambulance.
The sun rises over Greenville, North Carolina, on Tuesday, July 26, 2022. (Madeline Gray for The Washington Post)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was notified, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is expected to become involved. Authorities noted that an ICE detainer was placed on each individual, indicating that immigration agents may eventually take custody of them.
SANCTUARY POLICIES LET ALLEGED CHILD PREDATOR ROAM FREE UNTIL DHS MADE PORTLAND, OREGON, AIRPORT ARREST
A police officer pulls police tape around a crime scene on Jan. 6, 2022. (Photo by Aimee Dilger/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images))
The arrests were carried out with the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service, which helps track and apprehend fugitives. The Chapel Hill Police Department also took part in the operation.
Officials suggested that the incident was a serious criminal offense that prompted detectives from the Major Crimes and Forensic Services Units to respond to the scene.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Garcia-Lario was initially booked into the Franklin County Detention Center, where he was held without bond, and was later transferred to the Pitt County Detention Center on Monday, where he remains in custody without bond.
Mayen was initially booked into the Orange County Detention Center and held without bond.
Fox News Digital reached out to the DHS for more information.
Read the full article from Here
-
Montana2 days ago2026 MHSA Montana Wrestling State Championship Brackets And Results – FloWrestling
-
Oklahoma4 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Science1 week agoWhat a Speech Reveals About Trump’s Plans for Nuclear Weapons
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: How Much Do You Know About Romance Books?
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high