World
Israeli Troops Withdraw From Netzarim Corridor in Gaza
Israel’s military withdrew Sunday from a key corridor dividing the Gaza Strip, leaving nearly all of the territory’s north, as required by a tenuous cease-fire with Hamas ahead of any negotiations for a longer-lasting agreement.
The military’s departure from the Netzarim Corridor in Gaza came as the Israeli government sent a delegation to Qatar over the weekend to discuss the next group of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners to be freed during the cease-fire agreement’s initial phase, which went into effect last month and is ongoing.
The gaunt appearances of three Israeli hostages who were released on Saturday, stoking public comparisons to Holocaust victims, heaped new pressure on the negotiations.
In a statement on Sunday, the Israeli military said troops were “implementing the agreement” to leave the corridor and allow hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to continue returning home to northern Gaza.
Two Israeli military officials and a soldier in Gaza who were not authorized to discuss the situation publicly or by name said the troops had already left the Netzarim Corridor by Sunday morning.
Hamas also said that Israeli troops had left the zone, saying in a statement that it was “a victory for the will of our people.”
Sunday’s withdrawal from the corridor means that the presence of Israeli troops in Gaza is now mostly limited to a small sliver of land in southern Gaza, near the Egyptian border, and a buffer zone along the Israeli border.
Gaza’s interior ministry alerted Palestinians heading north on Sunday that their vehicles could still be inspected by foreign security contractors there to prevent weapons from being transferred from the south.
“We call on citizens to be careful and adhere to moving according to the currently permitted mechanism for their safety,” the interior ministry said Sunday in a statement.
The Israeli military had ordered a mass evacuation of northern Gaza in the early days of the war and patrolled the corridor, in part to prevent Palestinians from returning. Israeli troops had already partly withdrawn from the Netzarim Corridor last month, leaving the foreign contractors to fill the void.
Their complete withdrawal from the corridor was required under the first 42-day phase of the cease-fire deal — which is now at the halfway point — and necessary to advance to its next stage to end the war in Gaza fully.
Significant new pitfalls to reaching an agreement for the next phase — which could involve a complete Israeli military withdrawal from all of Gaza — emerged over the past week, however, after President Trump said that the United States could take over Gaza and turn it into the “Rivera of the Middle East” by relocating its Palestinian residents.
On Sunday, Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry again rejected the proposal, repeating that no lasting peace agreement could be reached without creating a sovereign Palestinian state — a diplomatic goal for generations, but one that officials and experts now say is probably all but impossible to achieve.
Egypt’s foreign ministry said on Sunday that it would host an emergency Arab summit late this month in Cairo “to address the new and dangerous developments in the Palestinian cause,” noting that the meeting was being coordinated with high level officials in Arab nations and had been scheduled at the request of Palestinian officials.
The emaciated appearance of three Israeli hostages who were freed by Hamas on Saturday has also spurred widespread concern in Israel that its prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has not acted quickly enough to ensure their or others’ release — increasing the pressure on the Israeli government to bring the rest of the captives home and advance to the second phase of a deal.
On Sunday, the family of Alon Ohel, one of the hostages still in captivity, said in a statement released by a group representing relatives of the captives, that for the first time in more than 490 days since he was captured, they received word that he is alive and that he has been held in tunnels in Gaza along with some captives who were recently freed. The statement demanded that Israeli leaders “take the necessary humanitarian steps to rescue Alon and the other victims from the hell they are experiencing.”
“Time is running out,” the statement added. “The second phase of the deal must be advanced to bring back all the hostages.”
But despite the presence of negotiators and mediators this weekend in Qatar, no progress was expected in talks concerning the next stage of the truce until Mr. Netanyahu convenes a meeting of his top security officials in the coming days.
In an interview on Saturday in Washington, where he had been meeting with the Trump administration, Mr. Netanyahu said Hamas, not he, was to blame for the hostages’ conditions. He predicted that at least a half-dozen more hostages would be released by the end of next week.
“We have three war aims in Gaza,” Mr. Netanyahu said in an interview with Fox News. “One, destroy Hamas’s military and governing capabilities. Two, get all the hostages out. Three, make sure that Gaza never poses a threat to Israel again. And I’m committed to achieving all three.”
Even as Israeli troops left the key corridor in Gaza, they continued raids and patrols in the occupied West Bank. Palestinian health officials there said at least two people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were killed in the Nour al-Shams refugee camp in Tulkarm. The Israeli military said that its police criminal investigation unit had begun an inquiry.
Hiba Yazbek , Gabby Sobelman and Ephrat Livni contributed reporting.
World
Bulgaria to hold snap parliamentary election on April 19 after protests
Eighth vote in just five years follows government resignation after weeks of protests over budget, alleged corruption.
Published On 18 Feb 2026
Bulgaria will hold a snap parliamentary election on April 19, President Iliana Iotova has said.
The announcement on Wednesday comes after the resignation of the previous government in December following weeks of anticorruption protests.
Last week, Iotova tapped Andrey Gyurov, deputy governor of the Bulgarian National Bank, to head a caretaker government tasked with preparing the way for the vote.
“I will make a decree to have elections on the 19th of April,” Iotova told a news conference on Wednesday, after meeting Gyurov, who presented the members of his caretaker government.
Bulgaria, which joined the eurozone on January 1, has faced prolonged political instability, with parties unable to form stable ruling coalitions in a fragmented parliament.
The upcoming parliamentary election will be the eighth in just five years in the country.
The conservative GERB party came first in the most recent election in 2024, forming a coalition government.
People, however, began taking to the streets in late November over the 2026 draft budget, with protesters branded it as an attempt to mask rampant corruption.
Last month, Bulgaria’s longtime President Rumen Radev, a vocal government critic who supported the protests, announced his resignation amid speculation that he was looking to take part in the elections.
In an address to the nation, Radev, 62, said at the time he was eager to participate in the “battle for the future” of the European Union and NATO member.
He was replaced by his deputy, Iotova. New presidential elections are expected later this year.
World
Video: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
new video loaded: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
transcript
transcript
‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
Indirect talks between American and Iranian officials in Geneva on Tuesday ended with the two sides agreeing to “a set of guiding principles,” according to the Iranian foreign minister.
-
“So I’ll be involved in those talks indirectly. And they’ll be very important. We’ll see what can happen. It’s been typically — Iran’s a very tough negotiator. “We’ve been told that a deal is next to impossible.” “No, no. I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal. They want to make a deal.”
By Monika Cvorak and Jamie Leventhal
February 17, 2026
World
Peru sinks deeper into chaos as seventh president in ten years ousted in ‘Chifagate’ scandal
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Peru’s interim president was removed from office Tuesday over corruption allegations, further destabilizing the country ahead of April’s presidential and congressional elections, according to reports.
José Jerí’s ouster follows an ongoing scandal called “Chifagate,” in which he was allegedly filmed at an undisclosed meeting with a Chinese businessman who holds a concession for an energy project, the Associated Press reported.
Jeri was also said to have met with another business person, reportedly under investigation for alleged involvement in illegal logging.
Lawmakers removed him by voting to censure him as head of Congress, which needed only a simple majority and automatically stripped him of the presidency.
WHO IS THE POPULIST CONSERVATIVE PRESIDENT-ELECT IN COSTA RICA?
Peru’s Congress ousted President Jose Jeri following a scandal over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman in Lima. (REUTERS/Angela Ponce)
Jerí has said he will respect the outcome of the vote, has denied wrongdoing and will return to his role as a legislator, Reuters reported.
Tuesday’s ousting vote marks the latest twist in a prolonged political crisis that has seen seven presidents since 2016.
Jerí had assumed the post on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte.
Right-wing parties that had backed Boluarte withdrew support amid further corruption scandals. Since Boluarte had no vice president, Jerí, then head of Congress, was next in line.
Lawmakers will now elect a new head of Congress, who will also assume the presidency until July 28, 2026, when the winner of the April 12 election is sworn in.
TRUMP ADMIN WARNS PERU IT COULD LOSE SOVEREIGNTY AS CHINA TIGHTENS GRIP ON NATION
Jerí had assumed the post of president on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte. (Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)
As the country heads toward the next vote, the presidential field remains crowded.
Conservative businessman Rafael López Aliaga currently leads in polls, while Keiko Fujimori, the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori, is running second in most others.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Fujimori narrowly lost her last presidential bid, securing 49% of the vote in 2021. If no candidate wins more than 50% in April, the top two finishers will advance to a June runoff.
Rospigliosi said parties have until 6 p.m. local time to present candidates, and the legislature is expected to vote on a new president Feb. 18.
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Science1 week agoVideo: Why Mountain Lions in California Are Threatened
-
Health7 days agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Politics6 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Atlanta, GA6 days agoFulton County man arrested after SWAT standoff over alleged dog beheading
-
Technology6 days agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Movie Reviews6 days ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]