Connect with us

Washington

Takeaways from the first debate in Washington’s U.S. Senate race

Published

on

Takeaways from the first debate in Washington’s U.S. Senate race


The candidates in the 2024 Washington state U.S. Senate race: Republican Raul Garcia, left, and incumbent Democratic U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell.

Photos courtesy of campaigns

The candidates vying to represent Washington in the U.S. Senate went head-to-head on Oct. 9 at a debate in Spokane, sparring over affordability, immigration, foreign affairs and fentanyl.

Democratic incumbent Maria Cantwell and Republican Raul Garcia, a Yakima emergency room doctor, met at the Myrtle Woldson Performing Arts Center at Gonzaga University for a debate hosted by The Spokesman-Review in partnership with Gonzaga University, KSPS, the Black Lens and the Washington State Debate Coalition.

Advertisement

It was the first debate between the two candidates. They will face off again on Oct. 17 in a debate hosted by the League of Women Voters of Washington and KIRO 7.

Garcia, who’s been a physician for 26 years, is hoping to unseat Cantwell, who’s held the position since 2000.

As of July, the most recent filing to the Federal Election Commission, Cantwell has raised more than $11.7 million and spent more than $5.2 million. Garcia has raised nearly $597,000 and spent about $428,000.

At the debate, voters heard how different their views are. Here’s a look at where the candidates stand on four key issues this election.

Affordability and inflation

Both Cantwell and Garcia agree that Americans are facing high costs, but their approaches to lowering them are different.

Advertisement

Cantwell said she wants to bring manufacturing back into the United States to bolster the supply chain. She also said she wants to continue fighting to lower prescription drug costs by negotiating prices at a federal level and building more affordable housing.

“I know that things still cost too much,” she said.

Cantwell also touted her support for the large investments included in the Inflation Reduction Act, which she said helped bring down high costs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Garcia pushed back on her characterization of the legislation, which he said only resulted in Washington residents paying more and getting nothing in return.

Garcia said the federal government needs to audit its spending and cut programs that are deemed expensive and ineffective. The money cut from those programs should go back to citizens who can spend it in their communities and grow the economy, he said.

Advertisement

Fentanyl and homelessness

Addressing the growing number of fentanyl overdoses has been top of mind for both candidates.

Garcia wants to push legislation that would require felony charges and significant prison time for fentanyl dealers while also mandating those with substance abuse disorder receive treatment.

“This is a crisis and we need to make harsh decisions,” Garcia said. “You need an iron fist, you need to end this or we’re going to lose our country.”

In her response, Cantwell highlighted her effort to create “health engagement hubs,” across the country. These hubs offer low-barrier drop-in services and free treatment resources. The Legislature funded two of them last year. The health hubs are the best way to fight the crisis, Cantwell said, citing research from the University of Washington that found the method to reduce overdose deaths by 68%.

Cantwell also pointed to her work on legislation to increase funding to fight international drug trafficking at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Advertisement

When asked about addressing homelessness, Garcia was quick to tie his response back to fighting drug addiction. He said the state needs to focus on drug rehabilitation and mental health services first before providing housing to people living on the streets.

“The third step is housing, not housing first,” he said. “This is why this has been so ineffective.”

Cantwell pushed back.

“It’s a mischaracterization to think that everyone who is homeless is on drugs,” she said. She added that the country needs to focus more on building housing to address the homeless population.

Abortion

Cantwell has made protecting abortion access and reproductive health a key issue for her since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, introducing legislation to codify abortion access, protect health care data and increase access to contraception.

Advertisement

She said Tuesday she would not support legislation that would allow states to continue to make their own decisions about abortion policy, which has resulted in a patchwork of laws.

“The confusion that is here today is not tolerable,” she said.

Garcia said he would not vote for an abortion ban because he believes doing so could result in doctors being unable to perform life-saving procedures for miscarriages or other complications. He said he would continue to support laws that keep abortion legal because that is what Washington voters want.

“I’m not asking you to trust every Republican. I’m asking you to trust me,” Garcia said. “I am going to defend this state as a pro-choice state everyday.”

Immigration and border security

Garcia is an immigrant, having come to the United States from Cuba when he was 11 years old. He said he will always be a champion of immigrants but that there needs to be more leadership and discipline at the country’s southern border.

Advertisement

“If you come to this country to commit crimes, you’re out,” he said.

Cantwell boasted about her voting record for bipartisan immigration policies and said she supports allowing a legal process for seasonal workers from Mexico, which many farms in Washington rely on. She added she will continue to push for more money for border security, but criticized the rhetoric used by former President Donald Trump and other Republicans when it comes to immigrants.

“Demonizing the backbone of who built America is not the way to go,” Cantwell said.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Washington

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.

Published

on

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.


A Detroit man charged in connection with two assaults last year in Washington, D.C. has been sentenced to 60 months in prison with 12 months suspended, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Jerome Parker, 49, pleaded guilty in October 2025 to one count of aggravated assault, one count of assault with significant bodily injury and one count of second-degree theft. After completing his sentence, Parker will be placed on three years’ probation.

“Today we took another criminal, victimizing the most vulnerable members of our community, off the streets,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “This violence against our community committed by Parker, or any criminals like him, against the elderly or innocent will never again be tolerated in the District.”  

Federal prosecutors say Parker attacked two people on Aug. 18-19, 2025. 

Advertisement

Officials say the first victim, a 66-year-old man, was leaving a Metrobus when Parker punched the man in the face, causing the victim to fall to the ground. Parker then took the man’s wallet, ID, cards and cash. The victim had to undergo surgery to fix a fracture and had his jaw wired shut for several months, according to prosecutors.

Officials say Parker and the victim did not know each other.

Prosecutors say that on the following day, Parker was involved in a verbal altercation with an acquaintance and followed the person to an apartment building, where he punched the second victim, kicking him multiple times. Prosecutors say the second victim suffered a minor brain bleed and was unconscious for over five minutes until responding officers arrived.

Parker was arrested a month later, on Sept. 25.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Washington Spirit and Star Defender Tara Rudd Agree to New Contract

Published

on

Washington Spirit and Star Defender Tara Rudd Agree to New Contract


2025 NWSL Defender of the Year signs three-year deal with 2029 and 2030 club options

Washington, D.C. (02/17/2026) – The Washington Spirit and star defender Tara Rudd (née McKeown) have agreed to a new contract, the club announced today. Rudd’s new deal will go through the 2028 season, carry 2029 and 2030 club options, and include a signing bonus.

“I’m beyond excited to continue my journey with the Washington Spirit,” said Rudd. “This organization has believed in me from day one and I’m proud to represent this community and keep pushing to raise the standard and compete for championships with my teammates. D.C. has become my home and there’s no place I’d rather be. I cannot wait to continue to build on what we’ve started here and give our amazing fans a lot more to cheer for over the coming years.”

One of Washington’s most consistent players across the past three seasons, Rudd continues to be a leader with the Spirit. Following up her Iron Woman season in 2024, the fifth-year player earned her first call-ups to the U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) and took home the NWSL’s Defender of the Year award in 2025. Rudd ranked in the top two among all defenders in the NWSL in interceptions in 2025 with 50 as well as top four in both blocked shots and tackle success among defenders with a minimum of 1,000 minutes.

Advertisement

“Tara Rudd is a Washington Spirit cornerstone,” said President of Soccer Operations Haley Carter. “The 2025 NWSL Defender of the Year and a consistent USWNT presence, she is central to everything we are building here. Her growth into one of the premier defenders in this league speaks to what she puts in every single day, and we’re proud that our environment and support system have been part of that journey. We are thrilled that Tara shares our vision for what this club can achieve, and we cannot wait to see what the next chapter looks like together.”

At the international level, Rudd has been a mainstay of the USWNT roster since earning her first call-up to the senior team following the 2024 NWSL season. The defender has appeared in ten matches for the side so far and even dished out three assists from the back line.

Originally from Newbury Park, California, Rudd attended the University of Southern California before being drafted by the Spirit with the eighth overall pick in 2021. In four seasons with the Trojans, Rudd tallied 33 goals and 28 assists in 76 appearances, earning First Team All-American honors once and First Team All-Pac-12 honors twice in the process. Rudd also earned a Pac-12 All-Freshman Team nod in 2017 and an All-Pac-12 Third Team nod in 2018.

The Spirit season kicks off in March with Spirit Fest, the team’s annual free fan event on March 8 at 2 p.m. at The Anthem in DC. Tickets are available HERE. Then on March 13 at 8 p.m., the Spirit begins its quest for a third consecutive NWSL Championship appearance when it faces Portland Thorns FC in the team’s 2026 home opener at Audi Field. Tickets are available HERE.

About The Washington Spirit

Advertisement

The Washington Spirit is the premier professional women’s soccer team based in Washington, D.C. and plays at Audi Field in Buzzard Point. The Spirit was founded on November 21, 2012 and is an inaugural member of the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) the fastest growing sports league in the US. The club is home to some of the best players in the world who have won championships for both club and country. For more information about the Spirit, visit WashingtonSpirit.com and follow the club on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.





Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Trump administration ordered to restore George Washington slavery exhibit it removed in Philadelphia

Published

on

Trump administration ordered to restore George Washington slavery exhibit it removed in Philadelphia


FILE – A person views posted signs on the locations of the now removed explanatory panels that were part of an exhibit on slavery at President’s House Site in Philadelphia, Jan. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, file)

An exhibit about nine people enslaved by George Washington must be restored at his former home in Philadelphia after President Donald Trump’s administration took it down last month, a federal judge ruled on Presidents Day, the federal holiday honoring Washington’s legacy.

The city of Philadelphia sued in January after the National Park Service removed the explanatory panels from Independence National Historical Park, the site where George and Martha Washington lived with nine of their slaves in the 1790s, when Philadelphia was briefly the nation’s capital.

The removal came in response to a Trump executive order “restoring truth and sanity to American history” at the nation’s museums, parks and landmarks. It directed the Interior Department to ensure those sites do not display elements that “inappropriately disparage Americans past or living.”

U.S. District Judge Cynthia Rufe ruled Monday that all materials must be restored in their original condition while a lawsuit challenging the removal’s legality plays out. She prohibited Trump officials from installing replacements that explain the history differently.

Advertisement
People walk past an informational panel at President’s House Site Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
A person films the location of a now removed explanatory panels that were part of an exhibit on slavery at President’s House Site in Philadelphia, Friday, Jan. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Rufe, an appointee of Republican President George W. Bush, began her written order with a quote from George Orwell’s dystopian novel “1984” and compared the Trump administration to the book’s totalitarian regime called the Ministry of Truth, which revised historical records to align with its own narrative.

“As if the Ministry of Truth in George Orwell’s 1984 now existed, with its motto ‘Ignorance is Strength,’ this Court is now asked to determine whether the federal government has the power it claims — to dissemble and disassemble historical truths when it has some domain over historical facts,” Rufe wrote. “It does not.”

She had warned Justice Department lawyers during a January hearing that they were making “dangerous” and “horrifying” statements when they said Trump officials can choose which parts of U.S. history to display at National Park Service sites.

The Interior Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the ruling, which came while government offices were closed for the federal holiday.

The judge did not provide a timeline for when the exhibit must be restored. Federal officials can appeal the ruling.

The historical site is among several where the administration has quietly removed content about the history of enslaved people, LGBTQ+ people and Native Americans.

Advertisement

Signage that has disappeared from Grand Canyon National Park said settlers pushed Native American tribes “off their land” for the park to be established and “exploited” the landscape for mining and grazing.

Last week, a rainbow flag was taken down at the Stonewall National Monument, where bar patrons rebelled against a police raid and catalyzed the modern LGBTQ+ rights movement. The administration has also removed references to transgender people from its webpage about the monument, despite several trans women of color being key figures in the uprising.

The Philadelphia exhibit, created two decades ago in a partnership between the city and federal officials, included biographical details about each of the nine people enslaved by the Washingtons at the home, including two who escaped.

Demonstrators gather to protest removal of explanatory panels that were part of an exhibit on slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Among them was Oney Judge, who was born into slavery at the family’s plantation in Mount Vernon, Virginia, and later escaped from their Philadelphia house in 1796. Judge fled north to New Hampshire, a free state, while Washington had her declared a fugitive and published advertisements seeking her return.

Because Judge had escaped from the Philadelphia house, the park service in 2022 supported the site’s inclusion in a national network of Underground Railroad sites where they would teach about abolitionists and escaped slaves. Rufe noted that materials about Judge were among those removed, which she said “conceals crucial information linking the site to the Network to Freedom.”

Only the names of Judge and the other eight enslaved people — Austin, Paris, Hercules, Richmond, Giles, Moll and Joe, who each had a single name, and Christopher Sheels — remained engraved in a cement wall after park service employees took a crowbar to the plaques on Jan. 22.

Advertisement

Hercules also escaped in 1797 after he was brought to Mount Vernon, where the Washingtons had many other slaves. He reached New York City despite being declared a fugitive slave and lived under the name Hercules Posey.

Several local politicians and Black community leaders celebrated the ruling, which came while many were out rallying at the site for its restoration.

State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta, a Philadelphia Democrat, said the community prevailed against an attempt by the Trump administration to “whitewash our history.”

“Philadelphians fought back, and I could not be more proud of how we stood together,” he said.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending