Nevada
Nevada high court ends casino mogul Steve Wynn’s defamation suit against The Associated Press
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Nevada Supreme Court on Thursday ended a defamation lawsuit brought by casino mogul Steve Wynn against The Associated Press in 2018, rejecting his bid for a jury to hear his claim that he was defamed by an AP story about two women who alleged Wynn committed sexual misconduct.
The seven-member court upheld a February ruling by a three-judge panel that cited the state’s anti-SLAPP law, or “strategic lawsuits against public participation, that blocks lawsuits filed to intimidate or silence critics.
That ruling said anti-SLAPP statutes “were designed to limit precisely the type of claim at issue here, which involves a news organization publishing an article in a good faith effort to inform their readers regarding an issue of clear public interest.”
In what the unanimous full court said was an effort to clarify the law, Justice Ron Parraguirre wrote that Wynn, as a public figure, needed to show “clear and convincing evidence to reasonably infer that the publication was made with actual malice.”
“The public had an interest in understanding the history of misconduct alleged to have been committed by one of the most recognized figures in Nevada,” the opinion said, “and the article directly relates to that interest.”
Attorneys who represent Wynn personally and those who handled the case did not respond to email and telephone messages seeking comment.
“The Associated Press is very pleased with the Nevada Supreme Court’s decision,” Lauren Easton, AP vice president of corporate communications, said in a statement.
The AP plans to seek reimbursement for legal costs through a lower court.
Dominic Gentile, a veteran Nevada lawyer well-known for his work in First Amendment law, said the ruling “will make it even more difficult for a public figure to bring an action over expressive conduct.”
“In most cases, the standard is ‘a preponderance of evidence’ that a lawsuit is being brought to stifle speech,” he said. “This case has taken that and raised the bar for someone who is a public figure to not get thrown out of court.”
Gentile has been an attorney in the state since 1979 and has taught at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Boyd School of Law. Malice, he said, means “you know it’s false or you didn’t do enough to determine that it was.”
Wynn, now 82 and living in Florida, is the billionaire developer of a luxury casino empire in the U.S. and the Chinese gambling enclave of Macao. He has consistently denied sexual misconduct allegations, which were first reported in January 2018 by the Wall Street Journal.
He resigned as CEO of Wynn Resorts Ltd. after the reports became public, divested company shares and quit the corporate board. Last year, he cut ties to the industry he helped shape in Las Vegas, agreeing with Nevada gambling regulators to pay a $10 million fine, with no admission of wrongdoing.
In a flurry of settlements in 2019, the Nevada Gaming Commission fined Wynn’s former company a record $20 million for failing to investigate claims of sexual misconduct made against him before he resigned. Massachusetts gambling regulators fined the company and a top executive $35.5 million for failing to disclose while applying for a license for a Boston-area resort that there had been sexual misconduct allegations against Wynn.
Wynn Resorts agreed in November 2019 to accept $20 million in damages from Wynn and $21 million more from insurance carriers on behalf of current and former employees of Wynn Resorts to settle shareholder lawsuits accusing company directors of failing to disclose misconduct allegations.
Those agreements also included no admission of wrongdoing.
Wynn filed his defamation lawsuit in April 2018 against AP, one of its reporters and one of the women, Halina Kuta. Kuta filed claims to police that Wynn raped her in the 1970s in Chicago and that she gave birth to their daughter in a gas station restroom.
Neither accuser was identified in the AP report. Their names and other identifying information were blacked out in documents obtained by AP under a public records request. Las Vegas police refused to provide additional details and said too much time had elapsed since Kuta said the events occurred in 1973 or 1974. No charges were ever filed against Wynn.
The AP typically does not publish names of people who say they are victims of sexual assault, but Kuta agreed to be named in later news reports.
Wynn attorneys argued that the article, which cited police documents, failed to fully describe elements of Kuta’s account that would have cast doubt on her allegation.
A trial court judge later ruled that Kuta defamed Wynn with her claims, which the judge termed “totally fanciful,” and awarded Wynn a nominal $1 in damages.
Copyright 2024 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Nevada
Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) – The Wolf Pack are headed on a road trip! A whole group of Nevada coaches, student athletes and staff are hitting the road across Northern Nevada to spread the brand of Wolf Pack athletics.
The trip will span over three days and over a thousand miles across the region, giving them the chance to connect with fans, alumni, and all the communities across Northern Nevada.
“It’s a really fun opportunity to get out in a lot of communities in Northern Nevada that often times come to Reno to support the Wolf Pack,” said head football coach Jeff Choate. “It’s an opportunity for us to get our brand out locally and just interact with some great people.”
The Coaches Caravan kicked off their journey Monday morning in Carson City, gathering at the Nevada State Capitol, greeted by a group of Wolf Pack faithful who were beyond excited to have the opportunity for interaction.
“So much about what college athletics is are bringing communities together. There’s nothing that brings a community together like sports,” said athletic director Stephanie Rempe. “It lets them get to know our coaches and athletes and the things that they’re trying to do to represent the university and the state of Nevada. Getting to know them and meet them makes you care that much more and makes them want to come support and cheer on the Pack!”
The Coaches Caravan continues through Northern Nevada until their final stop on Wednesday afternoon, meeting with thirteen communities around the region in total.
Copyright 2026 KOLO. All rights reserved.
Nevada
Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful
The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.
Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.
Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.
Davis’ Thoughts
- “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”
Morgan’s Thoughts
“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”
The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.
Glazer’s Thoughts
- “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”
Nassib’s Thoughts
- “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”
Overall Thoughts
This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.
Follow
Nevada
Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video
The final casino resort in Primm, Nevada, will close this summer after years of declining tourism, ending gaming operations in the once-busy border town and putting hundreds of employees out of work.
Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.
-
Miami, FL21 seconds agoUnited States expected to indict Raúl Castro today. Here’s how to watch.
-
Boston, MA6 minutes agoLinkedIn releases top 10 best employers for career growth in Boston
-
Denver, CO12 minutes agoBattle Pussy Wants You to Know They Are Not Cute — The Denver VOICE
-
Seattle, WA18 minutes agoNew Exhibition Explores Seattle Black Panther Legacy Through Art And History
-
San Diego, CA24 minutes agoSeaWorld San Diego changes shark story from apex predators to endangered species
-
Milwaukee, WI30 minutes agoI Use These Milwaukee Tools Every Day, and They’re up to 50% Off Ahead of Memorial Day
-
Atlanta, GA36 minutes agoGeorgia family’s decision to donate son’s organs helps save dozens of lives
-
Minneapolis, MN42 minutes agoStar Tribune Ranks Minnesota’s 50 Largest Public Companies