Detroit, MI
4 Under-the-Radar Lions That Could Make Impact in Training Camp
The day has finally arrived. The Lions will take the Allen Park practice field for their first full practice of training camp on Wednesday.
With training camp comes a variety of intriguing position battles for Dan Campbell’s squad. Plus, as is the case with every camp, there are bound to be multiple under-the-radar players that catch the attention of fans and pundits alike.
With that said, let’s take a look at four of those types of players that have a chance to make an impact at camp this summer.
TE James Mitchell
Prior to the beginning of last season, Mitchell – a 2022 fifth-round pick – looked like he had a chance to move up the Lions’ tight ends depth chart.
But then, last season came and went, and Mitchell emerged from it with just two catches. Meanwhile, Sam LaPorta took the league by storm, and set all kinds of rookie records, and Brock Wright firmly took control of the No. 2 TE job.
Fast-forward to this summer, and Mitchell will have to fight tooth and nail for a spot on Detroit’s 53-man roster. LaPorta and Wright are firmly entrenched as the team’s top two tight ends, but Mitchell – a third-year pro – does at least have a fighter’s shot to beat out Shane Zylstra for the No. 3 TE job. With a solid enough camp, I believe that Mitchell will do just that.
WR Daurice Fountain
Fountain, with a strong showing in training camp, could be in contention for a spot on the Lions’ 53-man roster.
Amon-Ra St. Brown and Jameson Williams are locks to be Detroit’s No. 1 and No. 2 receivers. Meanwhile, Donovan Peoples-Jones and Kalif Raymond will battle it out in camp for the No. 3 receiver job. However, the Lions’ depth at receiver is a bit murky after that, which leaves the door open for Fountain.
Fountain, a big-bodied wideout at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, spent most of last season on Detroit’s practice squad. Yet, the former Colts and Chiefs receiver spent OTAs this spring practicing with the first-team offense, and caught the attention of several media members.
“He’s in the mix,” Campbell said of Fountain during OTAs. “I mean, we still have a spot open, I mean, we’ve got a couple of spots. We know what Saint (St. Brown) is, we know what Leaf (Raymond) can bring to the table, we like where Jamo (Jameson Williams) is going. But, I mean, there’s still — you go 11 personnel, we’ve got another spot over there.”
OT Connor Galvin
You can never have enough offensive line depth.
It’s why Galvin, an undrafted rookie free-agent signing by Detroit in 2023, is a dark-horse candidate to make the Lions’ 53-man roster out of camp.
The second-year pro was a preseason standout for Detroit last summer, suiting up for all three exhibition games and recording a Pro Football Focus grade of 79.2. Then, at the end of last season, the front office rewarded his efforts on the team’s practice squad by inking him to a futures deal.
It’s a clear sign of the organization’s confidence in the 24-year-old. And although Colby Sorsdal and Dan Skipper appear to be ahead of him on the depth chart, Galvin should still have a chance to be one of the team’s primary backups at offensive tackle in 2024.
DT Kyle Peko
Peko has a chance to be a very nice depth piece along the interior of the Lions’ defensive line. A free-agent acquisition by Brad Holmes in early May, Peko brings with him 42 games of NFL playing experience. In his career, he’s produced 56 total tackles, including four tackles for loss, two sacks, two passes defensed and a forced fumble.
Most recently, he suited up for the Tennessee Titans, with whom he played in 13 games last year (including 10 starts). During Peko’s lone season in Tennessee, new Lions defensive line coach Terrell Williams was his position coach. With Peko being reunited with Williams in Motown, it should give the 31-year-old defensive lineman a legit shot to claim a roster spot out of camp.
Detroit, MI
‘I was panicking’: Michigan couple says missing Direct Express deposit left them unable to pay rent
DETROIT – A Michigan couple says their February social security money wasn’t deposited on their Direct Express card. It’s not the first time it’s happened, they said.
In Dec. 2024, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau filed a lawsuit against Comerica Bank, who once operated Direct Express, alleging the program left over 20,000 people without their payment issues properly resolved.
Although the lawsuit was terminated in 2025, the program was transferred to Fifth Third Bank due to similar issues.
Michigan users say there’s real world impact to the practices.
Roy Lee Jones is a double amputee in Sanford.
“$1,284,” Jones said on Sunday about how much money in social security he’s received since the nineties.
On Feb. 2, something changed.
“He just found out on the 2nd that he could not access his account,” Heather Swearingen, Jones’ girlfriend, said.
His Direct Express card was not loaded and the company told him they didn’t have a record of him. His money has been deposited by Direct Express since the early 2000s.
It’s a third party program serving over 3 million Americans who don’t have a bank account.
“So, we called, they said they have to verify him,” Swearingen said.
They sent in the verification again.
It was approved. On the fourth, they say Direct Express said they’d send the money and a new card in two to three business days.
Then Feb. 10 rolled around and there was still no sign of the money.
“I am panicking,” Swearingen said. “Our rent was due on the third. We had no gas to go anywhere to doctor’s appointments.”
They got in touch with someone from Social Security and were told to go open a bank account.
They opened the account and they hope the money is deposited this week.
After Local 4 reached out, Direct Express says they are following up with Jones.
Local 4 took a deeper look and found the issue may not be unique to the couple.
There are several recent complaints on the Better Business Bureau. One woman, who lives in Warren, says she experienced something similar.
Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
Detroit, MI
Metro Detroiters bare it all for Cupid’s Undie Run
Detroit, MI
Safety concerns rise in Detroit senior apartments
NEWS
Residents of Reverend Holley Senior Apartments in Detroit express safety concerns due to the lack of consistent on-site management, following staffing changes amid budget revisions. Previously, a full-time manager was available, but now a part-time leasing person and a manager who oversees two complexes are in place, leaving only contact numbers for assistance. This has led to incidents where emergency services were unable to access necessary facilities, prompting residents to call for improved support due to the vulnerability of the elderly and disabled population in the complex.
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: Farewell, Pocket Books
-
Illinois7 days ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Politics1 week agoHegseth says US strikes force some cartel leaders to halt drug operations
-
World1 week ago‘Regime change in Iran should come from within,’ former Israel PM says
-
Movie Reviews1 week agoWith Love Movie Review: A romcom with likeable leads and plenty of charm
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX