Kentucky
Fentanyl plaguing south central Kentucky
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) – An 18-year-old dies, and a juvenile is hospitalized after what is presumed by the Warren County Sheriff’s Office to be a fentanyl overdose in Bowling Green.
Drug overdose leads to one dead, one hospitalized in Bowling Green
WCSO and local drug task forces have raised concerns over fentanyl-related overdoses, incidents and deaths in the area, as the drug, and its deadly nature plague south central Kentucky.
“Two high school kids or they were little about high school, about 19 years old. Last year they split a split an M30A blue fentanyl pill. They bought it and they split it. One took one, half one took the other. One of them overdosed and died, and one of them lived because that one that overdosed and died had a hot spot of fentanyl in it,” Director of the South Central Kentucky Drug Task Force Jacky Hunt said.
The South Central Kentucky Drug Task Force has reported the amount of fentanyl pill seizures in 2024 is seven times what it was in 2023; that year having 50 interceptions, and 2024 seeing 350 already this year.
“I have [spent] 20 plus years in narcotics alone,” Hunt said. “These last few years I’ve never seen a drug like fentanyl, ever.”
The DTF over the past two years has investigated over 120 known fentanyl overdose cases in Logan and Simpson Counties alone.
Although recent statistics from Kentucky’s Office of Drug Control Policy show that in 2022, fentanyl-related deaths have decreased 5% from 2021, the number of pill seizures and recent fentanyl-related overdoses are still concerning numbers to law enforcement agencies.
“Roughly just in round numbers, one-third of the overdose death cases in Kentucky are attributed to methamphetamine and the other two-thirds to fentanyl,” Director of the Warren County Drug Task Force Tommy Loving said. “I think the fentanyl is probably the worst thing we’ve seen because it is so deadly and so unpredictable.”
Warren County Sheriff Brett Hightower is urging the community to not buy or use any pills or drugs from a third party, because substances such as Valium, Xanax, and marijuana, have the potential to be laced with fentanyl.
“So many people think it’s just one pill, but one pill can kill and. And that’s all it takes. You absolutely cannot take any pill it seems like right now, period, that’s from the street in any way,” Hightower said.
Administering Narcan can save the life of someone experiencing a fentanyl-related overdose.
Narcan distributors in Kentucky can be found here.
Copyright 2024 WBKO. All rights reserved.
Kentucky
Six Kentucky hospitals to receive portion of $105 million in FEMA funds
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WKYT) – Gov. Andy Beshear announced today that Kentucky has secured $105 million in FEMA disaster funds for six hospitals.
The awards are for expenses incurred during the COVID-19 pandemic from January 2020 to May 11, 2023.
The hospitals include:
- AdventHealth Manchester
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare
- Baptist Health
- Pikeville Medical Center
- T.J. Samson Community Hospital (Glasgow)
- UofL Health
- Kentucky Emergency Management
The governor said the funding is much needed years later.
“What our hospitals did during the pandemic is nothing short of heroic, and my administration worked hard to make sure the reimbursements they were owed under the president’s emergency declaration were delivered,” Beshear said. “While this funding is being received years later, it couldn’t come at a better time, as our hospitals face challenges due to federal Medicaid cuts. This $105 million will make a difference for these hospitals and the Kentucky families who depend on them, which is why today’s news is so great.”
Sentiments echoed by the commonwealth’s emergency management director.
“Our first responders and hospitals went to great lengths to protect the lives of Kentuckians during the pandemic, and I am grateful that we were able to secure this funding and provide the reimbursements these hospitals and our team deserve,” said Eric Gibson. “We are processing the funds as quickly as possible so teams can put those dollars to good use as they continue to care for and protect people across our commonwealth.”
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
Kentucky
Chase Lumpkin planning visit to Kentucky Basketball
Kentucky Basketball head coach Mark Pope and his staff have been busy on the recruiting trail during the Memphis Nike EYBL session, and now the Wildcats are beginning to line up official visits with top prospects.
According to Jacob Polacheck of KSR, class of 2027 4-star shooting guard Chase Lumpkin is planning to visit Kentucky in the near future as his recruitment continues to take off nationally.
Lumpkin, a 6-foot-4, 170-pound guard from Powder Springs, Georgia, has quickly become one of the hottest names in the 2027 recruiting class following a strong recent stretch of play on the EYBL circuit. He currently holds nearly 20 scholarship offers, including Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Indiana, Louisville, and several others, with more programs expected to enter the mix soon.
Kentucky officially offered Lumpkin in late April after new assistant coach Mo Williams visited his school. However, the Wildcats had already been building a relationship with the talented guard since last summer. Lumpkin also made two visits to Lexington during the 2025-26 season.
“They showed a lot of belief in me,” Lumpkin tells Polacheck of KSR. “They watched me last session and, of course, were here today. It’s just showing that I can come in and make an impact as a freshman. Hopefully, I can do that one day.”
Lumpkin added that his recruitment remains open and other schools still have time to make a push as his stock continues to rise nationally.
Kentucky
KSP investigating fatal collision in Eastern Kentucky
GREENUP COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) – Kentucky State Police are investigating a deadly collision that took place Wednesday.
State police said at 9:25 p.m., troopers responded to reports of a two-vehicle collision at Industrial Parkway and County Road 1630 in Greenup County.
The preliminary investigation revealed that a vehicle driven by 21-year-old Abigail Miller of Vanceburg crossed the center line and struck an oncoming vehicle head-on.
Miller was pronounced dead at the scene by the Greenup County Coroner.
The individuals in the other vehicle were transported to the hospital for treatment of their injuries.
The investigation into the collision is ongoing.
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
-
Maine53 seconds agoPetition to restrict trans student rights may be removed from Maine ballot
-
Michigan13 minutes agoFilm Study: What 2027 RB Lundon Hampton brings to Michigan Football
-
Massachusetts19 minutes agoMassachusetts’ Charming Town Just Outside Worcester Is A Peaceful Escape With A Beautiful Lake And Garden – Islands
-
Minnesota25 minutes agoRenowned Minnesota musician Charlie Parr to make Detroit Lakes debut on June 5 at Historic Holmes Theatre
-
Mississippi31 minutes ago
Why Samantha Ricketts said Mississippi State beat OU for first super regional win
-
Missouri37 minutes ago
Missouri Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 winning numbers for May 22, 2026
-
Montana43 minutes agoMontana Plan hurts Montana business
-
Nebraska49 minutes agoInvasive Species Awareness Week starts Sunday, May 24 – Sandhills Express