Connect with us

Washington

Powerball player John Cheeks denied $340M lottery jackpot over website ‘mistake’

Published

on

Powerball player John Cheeks denied 0M lottery jackpot over website ‘mistake’


The unluck of the draw.

A Powerball player claims he was denied a life-changing jackpot worth $340 million despite his numbers matching the lottery’s website last year, which the company claims was a “mistake.”

Now, he’s suing Powerball and the DC Lottery

John Cheeks bought a Powerball ticket on Jan. 6, 2023, when the jackpot rose to the $340 million prize, according to a complaint filed last November.

Advertisement

Cheeks, who told NBC 4 he purchased the ticket using his family birthdates, missed the live drawing on Jan. 7, but wasn’t in a rush to check his numbers since the odds of winning a Powerball jackpot is about 1 in 292.2 million. 

John Cheeks claims he was denied a jackpot worth $340 million over a website “mistake” that showed that his ticket held the winning numbers. 4 Washington

He claimed he checked the DC Lottery’s website the following day and saw his winning numbers, believing he had become the year’s first multimillionaire.

“I just politely called a friend. I took a picture as he recommended, and that was it. I went to sleep,” Cheeks told the outlet.

For three days, the DC Lottery website showed his ticket numbers, according to the complaint.

Cheeks bought a Powerball ticket on Jan. 6, 2023, after the jackpot hit $340 million. 4 Washington

The numbers posted on the website, however, differed from those pulled during the live Powerball broadcast.

Advertisement

He tried to redeem the ticket at a licensed retailer on Jan. 10 and discovered none of his numbers matched up to what was drawn live.

Cheeks claimed he then went to the DC Office of Lottery and Gaming prize center to check with them, but again, he was told he was not the winner.

For three days, the DC Lottery website showed his ticket numbers, according to the complaint. 4 Washington

“’Hey, this ticket is no good. Just throw it in the trash can,’” Cheeks recalled to the outlet. “And I gave him a stern look. I said, ‘In the trash can?’ ‘Oh yeah, just throw it away. You’re not gonna get paid. There’s a trash can right there.’”

Cheeks has since placed the ticket in a safety deposit box.

Cheek’s attorney, Richard Evans, said his client was eventually informed by a lottery contractor that Taoti Enterprises — a DC-based digital advertising agency that manages the DC Lottery’s website — made a “mistake” and posted the wrong numbers.

Advertisement
Cheeks is now suing Powerball and DC Lottery over the “mistake.” 4 Washington

“They have said that one of their contractors made a mistake,” Evans told NBC 4. “I haven’t seen the evidence to support that yet.”

Despite Cheeks not having the correct numbers of the live drawing, Evan feels that something needs to be done for his client.

“Even if a mistake was made, the question becomes: What do you do about that?”

The jackpot eventually grew to $754.6 million before a ticketholder in Washington claimed the prize on Feb. 6.

In Nov. 2023, Iowa lottery officials blamed “human reporting error” for posting the incorrect numbers, which remained on its website for over six hours.

Advertisement

Those who were up and cashed their tickets were able to claim their prize, which ranged from $4 to $200, according to Fox 9.



Source link

Washington

Amazing Washington: Young man leaves Afghanistan to start tutoring program in Washington

Published

on

Amazing Washington: Young man leaves Afghanistan to start tutoring program in Washington


Ahmad Hilal Abid arrived in Seattle as a teenager, leaving Afghanistan with his family in search of opportunity and safety.

Looking back, he admits that adjusting to life in the United States was not easy.

I immigrated from Afghanistan to Seattle directly back in 2018 when I was just fifteen years old,” Abid said. “Life, in the beginning, was very challenging: coming as a teenager to America, navigating a new culture, a new place.

He said he struggled to learn English.

“I found myself as a guy who could not speak any English,” Abid continued. “A person who was bullied because of my English skills.”

Advertisement

An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)

Abid remembers multiple instances of his broken English being met with laughter and ridicule. Despite those challenges, Abid said he found freedom in his new home.

“I can practice my faith. I can freely express myself. I can stand by my word, you know?” Abid said. “I can do certain things that I could never do in my past country.”

While he was finding joy in his newfound freedom, Abid had some trouble finding his place. Rather than focus on fitting in, he decided to create opportunities for others who shared similar experiences.

A lot of youngsters around my age want to fit in. But me, I want to create a space for me and my community.” He added, “If we study our history, immigrants from all over the world have come here to call it home. I am an American, but with my own identity, with my own values, so I could never try to fit in.

During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, Abid launched a non-profit called House of Wisdom, which, according to its website, is a program that offers “free, inclusive academic support and culturally responsive mentorship to underserved youth.”

Advertisement

Abid started the non-profit with a small group of students inside his family’s garage. He says he borrowed three-hundred dollars from his dad to purchase tables and chairs. It didn’t take long for twenty students to turn to Abid’s new program for help with math and English homework. Abid says he connects deeply with the students.

An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)

An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)

“We share tutoring, math, English, and helping them with their homework, navigating a life in a new country,” Abid said, sharing that he sees himself in every student who comes into the program.

House of Wisdom has since expanded beyond its original location. It is now holding sessions in four different sites and serves more than 200 students.

“This is a non-profit with over 70 mentors coming and getting paid opportunities.”

Advertisement

In addition to tutoring, the program emphasizes mentorship and emotional support, with a focus on serving refugees, immigrants, and young women whose access to education may have been limited.

“So here, helping empower women and girls, empowering the underserved, empowering refugees and immigrants, means that we are empowering while others are suffering from a lack of education,” said Abid.

Abid said the mission is personal and rooted in his own values.

An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)

An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)

“Helping others is part of my identity, and that’s why I am living. That’s why I wake up in the morning.”

Advertisement

He encourages others to give their time to strengthen their communities.

“If you’re touching someone’s life by volunteering, this is what makes a difference in our community. Even one or two hours, having that will also inspire you to do more in your community.” Reflecting on his journey, he said, “My family was very worried about me. ‘What would he do in America?’ And now, I am an entrepreneur. I am creating opportunities for students who were born and raised in America. That’s where this immigrant came from. I want to say, immigrants: we don’t take jobs, we create jobs.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state

Published

on

Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state


Washington Gov. Bob Ferguson is seeking federal funding to repair and improve damaged infrastructure caused by an atmospheric river event across Washington state in December 2025. The total damage assessment is $182.3 million.

Washington state is applying for the Public Assistance Program, which provides up to 75% reimbursement from the federal government for qualifying repairs. Gov. Ferguson requested around $21 million and submitted Washington state’s request for a disaster declaration back on Jan. 21.

“This is separate than the request we made several weeks ago, that was to assist individuals with their homes,” Ferguson said. “This is for infrastructure, this particular request.”

Gov. Ferguson says that the December flooding was historic and that repairs for the damages caused would require an unprecedented amount of money.

Advertisement

“In terms of damage assessments that we are submitting to FEMA, this historic flooding resulted in, we believe, the largest dollar amount of public infrastructure damage in Washington state in more than four decades, and that’s counting for inflation,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson is requesting up to $173 million from the Trump administration to aid with the preliminary damage amount of $182.3 million, which Ferguson says is subject to change.

“One thing I want to emphasize and underscore is this is a preliminary number,” Ferguson said. “We have to meet a certain deadline for FEMA, so this number will increase as time goes on.”

The state is also applying for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which would help fund projects to prepare for future disasters.

Gov. Ferguson says that the state is also working with the Federal Highway Administration to get funding for repairs to highways in the state.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.

Published

on

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.


A Detroit man charged in connection with two assaults last year in Washington, D.C. has been sentenced to 60 months in prison with 12 months suspended, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Jerome Parker, 49, pleaded guilty in October 2025 to one count of aggravated assault, one count of assault with significant bodily injury and one count of second-degree theft. After completing his sentence, Parker will be placed on three years’ probation.

“Today we took another criminal, victimizing the most vulnerable members of our community, off the streets,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “This violence against our community committed by Parker, or any criminals like him, against the elderly or innocent will never again be tolerated in the District.”  

Federal prosecutors say Parker attacked two people on Aug. 18-19, 2025. 

Advertisement

Officials say the first victim, a 66-year-old man, was leaving a Metrobus when Parker punched the man in the face, causing the victim to fall to the ground. Parker then took the man’s wallet, ID, cards and cash. The victim had to undergo surgery to fix a fracture and had his jaw wired shut for several months, according to prosecutors.

Officials say Parker and the victim did not know each other.

Prosecutors say that on the following day, Parker was involved in a verbal altercation with an acquaintance and followed the person to an apartment building, where he punched the second victim, kicking him multiple times. Prosecutors say the second victim suffered a minor brain bleed and was unconscious for over five minutes until responding officers arrived.

Parker was arrested a month later, on Sept. 25.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending