Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Cross-Country World Cup in Minneapolis

Published

on

Cross-Country World Cup in Minneapolis


The FIS Cross-Country World Cup is in Minneapolis this weekend at Theodore Wirth Park – the first time in more than 20 years that a World Cup cross-country skiing event has been held in the U.S., despite warmer than average temperatures so far this winter.



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis City Council debates whether to renew liquor licenses for 2 hotels that allegedly housed ICE agents

Published

on

Minneapolis City Council debates whether to renew liquor licenses for 2 hotels that allegedly housed ICE agents


The Minneapolis City Council debated the renewal of two liquor licenses on Tuesday, focusing on two hotels allegedly housing federal agents during Operation Metro Surge. 

In January, protestors descended on both the Depot and the Canopy hotels, believing ICE agents were staying inside. Some protestors faced off with Minnesota State Troopers after an unlawful assembly was declared. 

Hospitality union members spoke to the council about the license renewals, explaining that some employees from the hotels have expressed fear over ICE agents staying there. 

“We believe that a liquor license is a privilege and that privilege should be reserved for businesses who keep the public safety in mind,” said Wade Luneberg, who is part of the union, Unite Here Local 17.

Advertisement

Though another union member told the council there is “misinformation” that has caused anxiety. Joan Soholt said she’s worked as a hotel banquet server for 23 years.

“Claims that these facilities are contracting with ICE or overpouring liquor to agents are false and deeply damaging,” Soholt said. 

The licenses for these two locations were first singled out and held up at a council meeting in early February. On Tuesday, Chair Aurin Chowdhury pushed for further delay. 

“Do we want to take a moment to do due process and investigate the situation that our constituents throughout the city have raised up as a grave concern or not?” Chowdhury questioned. 

Though other council members, including a lawyer from the city attorney’s office, warned waiting too long could open the city up to legal risk. 

Advertisement

“Not respecting staff input and opinion here could have tremendous legal and financial impact,” said Councilmember Elizabeth Shaffer. 

Shaffer argued that delaying the renewal decision beyond Thursday could send a bigger message to business owners that Minneapolis “is not a safe place to do business.”

Councilmembers Pearll Warren and LaTisha Vetaw also spoke out against the delay. 

“This feels like exactly what the president did to Jimmy Kimmel; to me, I don’t like it,” said Vetaw.

During the discussion, several members deferred to Quinn O’Reilly, managing attorney for the city, for legal clarity. 

Advertisement

Councilmember Jamison Whiting asked O’Reilly whether housing ICE at these hotels was in itself a reason to deny a liquor license. 

“No, as we advised previously, there needs to be connection between licensed activity and identifying concerns,” O’Reilly said. “So who stays at the hotel, there’s no nexus between the license activity, which is the serving of alcohol and the activity that which we are concerned.”

Ultimately, the council voted 11-2 in favor of a day-long investigation, with city staff returning findings on Thursday.

Ahead of the next meeting, staff will review complaints, 911 and 311 calls and reach out to business owners. As of Tuesday, city staff confirmed both hotels have active liquor licenses and are able to serve alcohol as the council debates the renewal. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

National Fast Food Chain With Dozens Of MN Locations Dramatically Downsizing

Published

on

National Fast Food Chain With Dozens Of MN Locations Dramatically Downsizing


One of the nation’s largest fast food chains, which operates numerous restaurants across Minnesota, will be shuttering hundreds of eateries across the country.

Wendy’s expects to close roughly 5 to 6 percent of its locations nationwide, including 28 restaurants that closed during the fourth quarter of 2025. With 5,969 locations across the country reported at the end of last year, that means nearly 360 Wendy’s restaurants could shutter during the first half of this year.

“By closing consistently underperforming restaurants, we are enabling our franchisee partners to increase focus on locations with the greatest potential for profitable growth,” Wendy’s acting CEO Ken Cook said in an earnings call with investors on Friday.

On a positive note, Wendy’s said that new chicken tenders and an upgraded sauce lineup resonated with customers and boosted satisfaction last year. Menu additions feature a cheesy bacon cheeseburger, a chicken tenders ranch wrap and improved chicken sandwiches with bun upgrades, signaling a renewed focus on core burger and chicken platforms.

Advertisement

“In 2026, we will prioritize meaningful innovation across both hamburgers and chicken, focusing on launches that restaurants can execute with excellence while reinforcing our quality positioning,” Cook said. “In addition to a new menu approach, we are elevating the effectiveness of our marketingand optimizing our mix by allocating more spend towards digital, social and streaming platforms.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

I-394 construction resumes next weekend: Delays expected

Published

on

I-394 construction resumes next weekend: Delays expected


Drivers should prepare for “significant” delays as construction resumes on I-394 next Sunday.

I-394 construction details

Advertisement

What we know:

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) says the $67 million project is focusing on fixing bridges, ramps and pavement while also improving accessibility.

Starting Sunday, the Penn Avenue bridge over I-394 will be closed.

Advertisement

As a detour, drivers can use North Wayzata Boulevard to cross Theodore Wirth Parkway, leading to South Wayzata Boulevard.

Expect lane closures on I-394 westbound, which will be reduced to two lanes between downtown Minneapolis and Highway 100 in Golden Valley. The E-ZPass option will not be available on the impacted stretch.

Advertisement

The backstory:

MnDOT started the initial phase of the construction project in July.

Additional closures

Advertisement

What we know:

Sporadic closures will occur along I-394 in both directions between downtown Minneapolis and Highway 100.

The Park Place Boulevard/Xenia Avenue ramp in St. Louis Park will also close, with a detour option from Louisiana Avenue to Wayzata Boulevard.

Advertisement

Later this month, I-394 will shut down for a weekend in both directions between Highway 100 and I-94. Drivers can use Highway 169 to I-694 as a workaround.

What’s next:

Advertisement

Construction is expected to continue through the fall.

TrafficMnDOTMinnesota



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending