World
Vance arrives in India for a 4-day visit that includes talks with Modi and personal engagements
NEW DELHI (AP) — U.S. Vice President JD Vance arrived in India on Monday for a four-day visit as New Delhi looks to avoid U.S. tariffs, negotiate a bilateral trade deal with Washington and strengthen ties with the Trump administration.
Vance will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the first day of his largely personal visit. The two leaders are expected to hold discussions on bilateral ties outlined in February when Modi met President Donald Trump in Washington.
The U.S. is India’s largest trading partner and the two countries are now holding negotiations aiming to seal a bilateral trade agreement this year.
They have set an ambitious target of more than doubling their bilateral trade to $500 billion by 2030. If achieved, the trade deal could significantly enhance economic ties between the two countries and potentially strengthen diplomatic ties as well.
Vance’s first visit to New Delhi comes amid the backdrop of Trump’s now-paused tariff program against most countries, including India. It also coincides with a rapidly intensifying trade war between Washington and Beijing, which is New Delhi’s main rival in the region.
“We are very positive that the visit will give a further boost to our bilateral ties,” Indian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal told reporters last week.
Vance was greeted with an Indian classical dance performance after he arrived at New Delhi’s Palam airport on Monday, following his visit to Rome, where he met Pope Francis on Easter Sunday. He is accompanied by his wife, Usha Vance, whose parents are from India, along with their children and officials from the U.S. administration. The couple will visit historical sites in the cities of Jaipur and Agra.
India is a close partner of the U.S. and an important strategic ally in combating the rising influence of China in the Indo-Pacific region.
It is also part of the Quad, which is comprised of the U.S., India, Japan and Australia and is seen as a counterbalance to China’s expansion in the region. Trump is expected to attend a summit of Quad leaders in India later this year.
Modi established a good working relationship with Trump during his first term in office and the two leaders are likely to further boost cooperation between their countries.
He was among the first leaders to visit the U.S. and hold talks with Trump after he returned to the White House. During his visit, Modi hailed a “mega partnership” with the U.S., and kickstarted a negotiation process to minimize the possible fallout of Trump’s tariffs.
The two leaders also said they planned to grow their defense partnership, with India signaling compliance with the Trump administration’s demands, saying it will purchase more oil, energy and defense equipment from the U.S.
Regardless, Trump targeted India with a 26% levy, which has since been paused. However, he has continued to call India a “tariff abuser” and “tariff king.”
The trade negotiations are especially urgent for New Delhi as it could be hit hard by Trump’s reciprocal tariffs, particularly in the agriculture, processed food, auto components, high-end machinery, medical equipment and jewelry sectors.
World
A powerful bomb has exploded near railway track in southwest Pakistan, killing at least 19 people
QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a railway track as a passenger train passed through the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta on Sunday, killing at least 19 people and wounding over 70 others, officials said.
The force of the explosion caused two of the train cars to overturn and catch fire, sending thick black smoke into the air, according to footage shared online.
The attack happened in an area where security forces are usually stationed, badly damaging several nearby buildings and smashing more than a dozen vehicles parked along the road, according to witnesses and images circulating on social media.
Doctors at local hospitals said they had received the wounded, with 20 in critical condition. Three security officials told The Associated Press the bodies were transported to hospitals following the attack. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to be able to speak to the media.
The outlawed Baloch Liberation Army, or BLA, which demands independence from Pakistan’s central government, has claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent to reporters. The militant group said it targeted a train carrying security personnel.
Quetta is the capital of insurgency-hit Balochistan province. The oil- and mineral-rich region has long been the scene of a low-level insurgency. The insurgents have frequently targeted security forces, government installations and civilians in the province and elsewhere in the country.
“We strongly condemn the targeting of innocent civilians and are deeply saddened by the loss of precious human lives. Terrorist elements deserve no leniency,” said Shahid Rind, Balochistan provincial government spokesman.
He said following the explosion, a medical emergency was declared at hospitals in Quetta, and an investigation has been launched.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack, calling it a “cowardly act of terrorism” in a post on X and offering condolences to the families of the victims.
Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti strongly condemned the attack in Quetta, saying the militants targeted “innocent civilians, including women and children,” vowing to “hunt (them down)” in a post on X.
Bugti and the federal government in Islamabad often use the phrase “Fitna al-Hindustan” to refer to the BLA, which they allege is backed by India. New Delhi denies the allegation.
Pakistan and India have long had strained relations and have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir, which is claimed by both in its entirety.
Although Pakistani authorities say they have quelled the insurgency, violence in Baluchistan has persisted.
At least 26 people, including soldiers, were killed in 2024 when a suicide bomber attacked a train station in Balochistan.
World
US embassy in Ukraine warns of ‘potentially significant air attack’ that could happen in next 24 hours
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a security alert Saturday warning that a “potentially significant air attack” could hit the city in the next 24 hours.
The U.S. Mission Ukraine said in a statement, “The U.S. embassy in Kyiv has received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours.
“The embassy, as always, recommends U.S. citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event an air alert is announced.”
‘A NEW KIND OF WAR’: INSIDE UKRAINE’S HIDDEN FACTORIES MASS PRODUCING COMBAT DRONES
A security guard stands outside the embassy of the United States of America Oct. 1, 2019, in Kyiv, Ukraine. (Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
The embassy urged Americans to “identify shelter locations before any air alert,” keep reserves of food, water and medication nearby, follow the “directions of Ukrainian officials and first responders in the event of an emergency,” to immediately take shelter if an alert is announced and to download an air raid app like Air Raid Siren or Alarm App.
By early Sunday morning, the capital was rocked by a massive missile and drone strike, Reuters reported.
At least three people were injured and some residential buildings were damaged, the mayor said on Telegram.
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence.
“We are seeing signs of preparation for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including Kyiv, involving various types of weaponry,” Zelenskyy wrote in an X post Saturday morning.
“The specified intermediate-range weapons could be used in such a strike. It is important to act responsibly on air-raid alerts, starting this evening. Russian madness truly knows no bounds, so please protect your lives. Use shelters.”
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
UKRAINE’S ‘SPIDER’S WEB’ DRONE STRIKE BURNS OVER 40 RUSSIAN WARPLANES, MOSCOW CALLS IT ‘TERRORIST ATTACK’
He added that the use of such weapons would set a precedent for future aggressors.
“If Russia is allowed to destroy lives on such a scale, then no agreement will restrain other similar hatred-based regimes from aggression and strikes,” he said. “We count on a response from the world and on a response that is not post factum, but preventive. Pressure must be put on Moscow so that it does not expand the war.”
Zelenskyy said Ukraine was preparing its air defenses as much as possible, and “we will respond fully justly to every Russian strike.”
“We have given permission for a parade,” he concluded his post, referring to the President Donald Trump-brokered three-day ceasefire earlier this month, “but Russia has no permission for madness. This war must be ended – we need peace, not some missiles satisfying the sick ambitions of one individual. I thank everyone helping to protect lives. Once again, please take care of yourselves and use shelters tonight.”
At the start of the three-day ceasefire May 9, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thought the war could come “to an end” soon.
At the start of the President Donald Trump-brokered temporary ceasefire earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thinks the war could come “to an end” soon. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
On Friday, however, Putin vowed retaliation for a deadly Ukrainian drone strike in Starobilsk, an occupied town in eastern Luhansk, claiming that the Ukrainians hit a college dormitory in a “terrorist” act.
Ukraine denied the claim, saying it struck a Russian drone command unit in the area.
World
At least two killed after massive Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv
The attack came after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned of intelligence that Russia would launch a significant attack using the hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile. It was not immediately clear if the missile had been used in the overnight attack.
-
Oklahoma3 minutes agoGame Four Preview: San Antonio Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder
-
Oregon9 minutes ago‘Resources were protected’: Salem firefighters respond to blaze at Oregon State Fire Marshal warehouse
-
Pennsylvania15 minutes agoIn drive to turn Pennsylvania blue, Gov. Josh Shapiro faces a critical test
-
Rhode Island21 minutes agoPolice surround hotel in West Warwick
-
South-Carolina27 minutes agoAt least 19 injured in suspected stampede at South Carolina’s Atlantic Beach: officials
-
South Dakota33 minutes ago
SD Lottery Powerball, Lotto America winning numbers for May 23, 2026
-
Tennessee39 minutes agoHow Karen Weekly’s bold infield change sent Tennessee softball back to WCWS
-
Texas45 minutes agoPaxton supporters look beyond his troubles, want a fighter in Texas Senate seat in Republican battle against Cornyn