World
Missiles hit hospitals, homes and families: Inside Israel's terrifying Iranian bombardment
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
CENTRAL ISRAEL – At least six people were seriously wounded Thursday morning when an Iranian ballistic missile struck Be’er Sheva’s Soroka Medical Center, part of a broader barrage that also scored direct hits on Tel Aviv, Ramat Gan, and Holon.
“We are hitting nuclear targets and missile targets precisely, and they are hitting the pediatric ward of the hospital. That says it all,” said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu while surveying the damage at the hospital.
The attacks on Israel have left many homeless and lucky to be alive. Ariel Levin-Waldman is one such person. He was at his in-laws’ home in Rishon LeZion, where he and his family had been staying for several months during renovations to their own house—when an Iranian missile struck the residential neighborhood. The attack killed two people and injured dozens; a third victim died during an earlier wave of Iranian strikes.
IRAN STRIKES MAJOR ISRAELI HOSPITAL AFTER CLAIMING ISRAEL HIT ITS ARAK HEAVY WATER REACTOR
Smoke rises from a building of the Soroka hospital complex after it was hit by a missile fired from Iran in Be’er Sheva, Israel, Thursday, Jun. 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
“At around 5 a.m., I got the same missile alert everyone in the country gets,” Levin-Waldman told Fox News Digital. “I grabbed my phone, ran downstairs with my wife and kids, and we made it to the shelter. My mother-in-law joined us.”
Then the missile hit the building.
“There was a flash of light, and everything went dark. We were choking, struggling to breathe,” Levin-Waldman said. Realizing help might not arrive in time, he continued, “I couldn’t wait to be rescued. We were suffocating, and I was afraid we’d be buried alive.”
Levin-Waldman tried to survey the damage inside the shelter, but the thick cloud of dust made it nearly impossible to see. All he could make out was that his arms and legs were still intact. The floor had become uneven, and the walls were damaged from the force of the blast.
It was at that moment he realized the explosion had propelled a book cabinet across the shelter, hitting his mother-in-law in the head.
Rescue personnel work at an impact site following missile attack from Iran on Israel, in Rishon LeZion, Israel, Jun. 14, 2025. (REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)
“She was bleeding heavily, and I realized she had been calling out ‘save us’ in Hebrew, but her voice was faint,” he recalled. “I managed to lift the cabinet off my mother-in-law, and when I did, I saw a potential escape route. I cleared the way so my wife, Tali, and our two-and-a-half-year-old, Renana, could get through. I had Ayala, my seven-week-old baby, on my shoulders as I made the opening. It was just enough to get them out.”
As they emerged, firefighters guided them to safety onto the street. In front of Levin-Waldman stood a wall of rubble where his car had once been, and his feet were cut by glass from the explosion.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AYATOLLAH ALI KHAMENEI, SUPREME LEADER OF IRAN
Unable to climb over the debris with his younger child on his shoulders, he handed her to a paramedic. Once he climbed over himself, he looked around—only to realize Ayala was no longer in sight.
“Here I was, covered in dust and blood, almost naked, wandering the street screaming, ‘Where is my child?” he recalled. Some people thought the worst. It took about 30 minutes to find her.”
Amid the chaos on the street, Levin-Waldman became separated from the rest of his family. They were transported to Sheba Medical Center in two different ambulances and later reunited in the emergency room, where they received initial medical care along with social and psychological support.
Ariel Levin-Waldman’s baby Ayala carried by a police officer taking her to safety right after the house they lived in Rishon LeZion was hit by an Iranian missile attack. (Photo courtesy: Dvir Mor )
Only 20 hours after Levin-Waldman survived the attack, another Iranian missile struck a building across from the hotel where he was staying in Rehovot. “The blast shattered the windows, and the entire building shook. We had a whole floor of people from our neighborhood traumatized, reliving the experience,” he told Fox News Digital.
“The hardest part is confronting how fragile we are and how close we came to disaster,” he said.
Since the conflict began on June 13, Iranian missile attacks have killed 24 Israelis and wounded over 800.
The missiles do not discriminate—neither between men and women, children and the elderly, nor between Jew and Arab. That reality was tragically underscored over the weekend when four women were killed by a ballistic missile that scored a direct hit on their home in the predominantly Arab town of Tamra, just north of Haifa.
These terror missiles also make no distinction between the political left and right.
Large windows are shown shattered after what was believed to be a drone attack Thursday night. (Trey Yingst)
Israeli Opposition Leader Yair Lapid dodged a tragedy on Monday when his son’s house in Tel Aviv suffered damage from the aftershock of a direct missile impact that left many residents of the central metropolis homeless.
“My one-year-old granddaughter’s bed was covered in glass from an explosion caused by an Iranian missile. It is horrific to think what would have happened if she had been in bed,” Lapid told Fox News Digital.
“This is the enemy we are facing—a regime dedicated to our destruction and aiming to kill as many innocent children as possible. We have to remove the nuclear threat and the missile threat—for the safety of Israel and the world,” he added.
Coalition lawmaker Hanoch Mildwisky, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s ruling Likud Party, lives across the street from a building in Petah Tikva–located 6.5 miles east of Tel Aviv–which sustained damage in an Iranian attack that killed four people.
“There were dislodged windows and cracks in the walls,” Mildwisky told Fox News Digital. “In the building that was hit, there were unfortunately casualties. It was a very large missile, carrying nearly a ton of explosives, so the blast was massive and caused significant damage even hundreds of meters away from the impact site.”
TUGBOATS, CRUISE SHIPS AND FLIGHTS: ISRAEL BEGINS EMERGENCY EVACUATION OF CITIZENS AMID IRAN WAR
Zaka volunteer Jamal Waraki pulling Israelis out of the rubble in the aftermath of Iran’s missile attacks. (ZAKA )
Mildwisky emphasized that Iran must not be allowed to possess atomic bombs or the capability to develop them—particularly given the regime’s repeated declarations of intent to destroy the Jewish state.
As long as the threat remains, he said, Israel will be forced to continue its military operations.
Jamal Waraki, a Muslim volunteer with the ZAKA emergency service, had just completed a rescue mission—pulling an 80-year-old man from the rubble—when he returned home at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday to find his own house destroyed.
“That night, there was a missile impact in Rehovot. We tended to the building that had sustained a direct hit. Once we finished, I went home and discovered that my place too had been struck,” Jamal told Fox News Digital.
Thankfully, no one was home at the time. Jamal’s family had been staying with his mother-in-law in Eilat, where they still are. While awaiting the finalization of new housing arrangements, Jamal has been sleeping in his car.
The building in Lihi Griner’s complex which was hit by an Iranian missile attack. (Lihi Griner )
Lihi Griner is well known in Israel due to her appearance in the local spinoff of the Big Brother reality TV show. She was in her safe room with her husband and three children when the Iranian missile struck Petah Tikva, in the same neighborhood as lawmaker Mildwisky. Griner resides in a complex with four residential buildings, one of which was directly hit.
“There was a huge boom,” she told Fox News Digital. “The kids were shocked, they started to cry, and we kept telling ourselves that there was an impact, but we’re alive. It was surreal. I couldn’t believe it happened to me.”
After receiving the all-clear to leave the safe room, she opened the door and found everything was completely destroyed. “Our windows were blown out of the walls, the doors were broken in half, the walls were damaged with big cracks, and all the balconies in the front of the building were demolished,” said Griner.
Initially, residents were sent to a school across the street, where authorities offered hotel options at no cost. Soldiers later escorted Griner’s family back to their apartment so they could retrieve their belongings. While the residence is now safe, they can’t sleep there due to the lack of windows.
“I live day by day. I’m just happy we’re alive. It gives us time to figure out what comes next,” Griner said.
For Levin-Waldman, what came next was an unexpected phone call from the Rishon Lezion municipality on Wednesday. To his relief, another member of the family had been found alive and unharmed four days after the attack: their dog, Zvika.
World
Shakira Acquitted of Tax Fraud in Spain, Will Be Reimbursed $64 Million: Singer Says She’s Spent Eight Years ‘Enduring Campaigns to Destroy My Reputation’
After an eight-year court battle, a Spanish court has ordered the country’s treasury to refund nearly $65 million to singer Shakira after ruling that the money was improperly collected.
The country’s high court has acquitted the Colombian singer of tax fraud and ordered the treasury to repay the money to her, with interest. In the ruling, the court said that tax authorities failed to prove Shakira had spent 183 days in Spain in 2011, effectively making her a resident and liable for personal income tax. The court ruled instead that she had spent just 163 days in the country during that financial year.
The country’s tax agency said it would appeal to the Spanish Supreme Court, and would make no payment until the final ruling.
In a lengthy statement following the ruling, Shakira said: “After more than eight years of enduring brutal public targeting, orchestrated campaigns to destroy my reputation, and sleepless nights that ultimately impacted my health and my family’s well-being, the National High Court has finally set the record straight. There was never any fraud, and the Administration itself could never prove otherwise, simply because it wasn’t true.
“Yet, for nearly a decade, I was treated as guilty. Every step of the process was leaked, distorted, and amplified, using my name and public image to send a threatening message to the rest of the taxpayers.
“Today, that narrative crumbles, and it does so with the full force of a court ruling. My greatest wish is that this ruling sets a precedent for the Treasury and serves the thousands of ordinary citizens who are abused and crushed every day by a system that presumes their guilt and forces them to prove their innocence at the cost of economic and emotional ruin. This victory is dedicated to them.”
The news comes just days after Shakira was announced as a halftime performer, along with Madonna and BTS, during the half-time show at this summer’s Fifa Men’s World Cup final. Earlier in May, she performed for an estimated 2 million people at a free concert on the Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro.
World
Bodies of four missing Italian divers found inside ‘shark cave’ in Maldives days after they vanished
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Rescuers located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in the Maldives, days after the group vanished during a dangerous dive far beyond recreational limits, Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday.
Officials said Finnish cave-diving specialists found the bodies in the innermost section of the cave system in Vaavu Atoll, where the divers disappeared Thursday while exploring at a depth of about 160 feet. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 98 feet.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” Maldives government spokesman Ahmed Shaam said, adding the victims were found “pretty much together.”
The Thinwana Kandu cave system where the bodies were found is known locally as “shark cave.”
RESCUE OPERATION FREES INJURED MAN TRAPPED 130 FEET UNDERGROUND IN ITALIAN CAVE
Monica Montefalcone, one of five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave, is shown in this undated photo released by Greenpeace Italia on May 15, 2026. (Greenpeace Italia/AP)
Recovery crews plan to retrieve two bodies Tuesday and the remaining two the following day, officials said.
The discovery came after authorities resumed the search following the death of a Maldivian military diver involved in the rescue mission. Mohamed Mahdi died Saturday from decompression sickness after attempting to reach the trapped divers.
Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression sickness during the dangerous mission, officials said. (Maldives National Defense Force)
A fifth Italian diver, identified earlier as a diving instructor, was previously found dead outside the cave.
BAGPIPER DIES DOING POPULAR VACATION ATTRACTION DAYS BEFORE MISSING SON’S REMAINS FOUND IN BACKYARD TREEHOUSE
The specialized Finnish team used advanced closed-circuit rebreather systems, allowing for longer and deeper dives in the cave’s confined environment.
Divers prepare to search for four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. (Maldives President’s Media Division/AP)
Rough seas and hazardous underwater conditions repeatedly delayed search efforts as crews mapped and marked the cave entrance before pushing deeper inside.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Authorities continue to investigate the situation and what led to the divers’ deaths.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
World
‘Feminist’ top diplomat Kallas takes aim at male-dominated diplomacy
Published on •Updated
The bloc’s foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has criticised the overwhelmingly male nature of peace negotiation teams, linking it to contemporary diplomacy’s tendency toward short-term results.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
“This is a bigger problem we see around the world with different peace talks when we see that they don’t actually address the issues of long-standing peace,” she said at a press conference in Tallinn, Estonia on Sunday.
The ceasefires many talks yield, she said, too often simply declare hostilities over without resolving the “underlying issues” that perpetuate future violence.
Another problem, she said, is the lack of female input.
“There are also studies that show that when women are part of the negotiations, these peace (efforts) last longer,” Kallas expanded, adding that “the picture that we saw from the US China talks, (was) a lot of masculinity in the room”.
“Women have a role,” she said.
Various studies and international bodies, including the UN Security Council, argue that women’s participation in conflict resolution improves outcomes, but mediators and negotiating parties often leave women out of their teams.
According to data compiled by the Council on Foreign Relations, women represented only 16 percent of negotiators in active peace processes led or co-led by the United Nations in 2022.
Security and defence analyst Iana Maisuradze of the European Policy Centre think tank argues that the EU is a firm supporter of the UN resolution calling for more female participation during conflict resolution – and that it is not “sexist argument” to believe that women are beneficial to negotiations. She told Euronews the data backs this up.
“The argument is that women focus on things that male-dominated negotiators are not focusing on such as education, health, victims’ rights, social reconciliation (and) community: things that really bring people together rather than a zero-sum game, which men tend to do,” Maisuradze said.
“Having women at table works because we also bring different perspectives to the resolution of the conflict, and also to the implementation of peace agreements.”
A seat at the table
Kallas’ comments came amid wider chatter in the Belgian capital regarding whether the EU should have a seat at the table for negotiations between Russia and Ukraine – and who should represent the bloc if so.
Putin recently floated appointing former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder as the EU’s lead negotiator in potential peace talks on Ukraine. This notion was widely dismissed by European heads of state, and the discussion of who Europe’s mouthpiece should be continues.
Diplomatic sources in Ukraine have said that Russia would “never” accept a woman as lead negotiator.
A diplomatic source in Brussels reiterated this, saying there is no possibility a female figure is being considered as part of the discussions. But another source in the Belgian capital told Euronews that “equality is an important factor”.
Regardless of their differences on the gender issue, most EU officials argue that appointing any envoy before a major European Council (EUCO) summit in June could be unrealistic.
European Commission spokesperson for foreign affairs Anitta Hipper said in response to a question by Euronews on Monday that Kallas is a “feminist” and “has a lot of practice back home”. She was the first female prime minister of Estonia from 2021 to 2024.
Hipper said the Commission could not comment on whether Russia would want a woman at the table, but reiterated that European heads of state will meet in Limassol in Cyprus in the coming weeks to discuss what form any future talks with Ukraine, Russia and Europe might take before June’s EUCO.
“What will be discussed is what our position is in terms of the demands and the ask and what unity we have in demanding our lists of asks from Russia,” Hipper said.
“This is something that we will be looking into – into the what, and not into the who.”
-
Atlanta, GA2 minutes agoAtlanta airport security: Council approves private TSA study
-
Minneapolis, MN8 minutes agoMan dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking
-
Indianapolis, IN14 minutes agoAlexander Rossi suffered injuries to his finger, ankle in crash; what it means for Indy 500
-
Pittsburg, PA20 minutes ago3-year-old hit and killed by vehicle in Hill District
-
Augusta, GA26 minutes agoAfter big early voting turnout, Augusta prepares for primary election day
-
Washington, D.C32 minutes agoMayor shares ‘grave concern’ about federal police pursuits in DC
-
Cleveland, OH38 minutes agoMetroparks reopens after shutting down 2 lakefront locations due to overcrowding
-
Austin, TX44 minutes agoDelta doubling flight schedule between Las Vegas and Austin, Texas – CDC Gaming