Connect with us

World

Map: Earthquake Strikes Japan

Published

on

Map: Earthquake Strikes Japan

An earthquake struck the Noto peninsula at around 4:10 p.m., local time, and had a magnitude of 7.6 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. According to the United States Geological Survey, the earthquake measured 7.5 magnitude.

As seismologists review available data, they may revise the reported magnitude. Additional information collected about the earthquake may also prompt U.S.G.S. scientists to update the shake-severity map.

Aftershocks in the region

An aftershock is usually a smaller earthquake that follows a larger one in the same general area. Aftershocks are typically minor adjustments along the portion of a fault that slipped at the time of the initial earthquake.

Quakes and aftershocks within 100 miles

Advertisement

Aftershocks can occur days, weeks or even years after the first earthquake. These events can be of equal or larger magnitude to the initial earthquake, and they can continue to affect already damaged locations.

Source: United States Geological Survey | Notes: Shaking categories are based on the Modified Mercalli Intensity scale. When aftershock data is available, the corresponding maps and charts include earthquakes within 100 miles and seven days of the initial quake. All times above are Japan time. Shake data is as of Monday, Jan. 1 at 2:29 a.m. Eastern. Aftershocks data is as of Monday, Jan. 1 at 7:40 p.m. Eastern.

World

Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership

Published

on

Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Vatican will not join President Donald Trump’s newly formed Board of Peace, its top diplomatic official said Tuesday, signaling reluctance from the Holy See to take part in the post-war initiative.

Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See “will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States,” the Vatican’s official news outlet reported.

The Board of Peace, which was chartered in January and includes nearly 20 countries, is tasked with managing recovery efforts in the Gaza Strip after the Israel-Hamas war.

While responding to questions about Italy declining to join the board, Parolin said “there are points that leave us somewhat perplexed,” adding that “there are some critical points that would need to find explanations.”

Advertisement

TRUMP SNUBS CANADA BY WITHDRAWING COUNTRY’S INVITE TO JOIN ‘MOST PRESTIGIOUS BOARD OF LEADERS EVER’

The Vatican announced it will not participate in President Trump’s Gaza recovery board. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

“The important thing is that an attempt is being made to provide a response,” he said. “However, for us there are certain critical issues that should be resolved.”

Parolin continued, “One concern is that, at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted.”

Pope Leo, the first U.S. pope, received an invitation to join the peace board in January.

Advertisement

TRUMP ENVOY WARNS HAMAS OF ‘SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES’ AS ADMIN LAUNCHES PHASE TWO OF GAZA PLAN

The Vatican declined to join a U.S.-backed board tasked with overseeing post-war efforts in Gaza. (Alberto Pizzoli/AFP via Getty Images)

Leaders from 17 countries participated in the initial charter signing ceremony in Davos, Switzerland, in late January, including presidents and other senior government officials from Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Central and Southeast Asia.

Israel formally joined the board last week ahead of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s meeting with Trump at the White House.

Several other countries were also invited by the White House, including Russia, Belarus, France, Germany, Vietnam, Finland, Ukraine, Ireland, Greece and China.

Advertisement

TRUMP MEETS NETANYAHU, SAYS HE WANTS IRAN DEAL BUT REMINDS TEHRAN OF ‘MIDNIGHT HAMMER’ OPERATION

President Donald Trump’s newly formed Board of Peace will move forward without Vatican participation. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

Poland and Italy on Wednesday said they would not join.

Trump announced Sunday that board members have pledged more than $5 billion in aid for Gaza.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

The president said the funding would be formally pledged during a meeting Wednesday in Washington, D.C.

Fox News Digital’s Anders Hagstrom contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

World

Bulgaria ⁠to hold snap parliamentary election on April 19 after protests

Published

on

Bulgaria ⁠to hold snap parliamentary election on April 19 after protests

Eighth vote in just five years follows government resignation after weeks of protests over budget, alleged corruption.

Bulgaria ⁠will hold a snap parliamentary election on April 19, President Iliana Iotova has said.

The announcement on Wednesday comes after the resignation of the previous government in December following weeks of anticorruption protests.

Advertisement

Last week, Iotova tapped Andrey Gyurov, deputy governor of ⁠the Bulgarian National Bank, to head a caretaker government tasked with preparing the way for the vote.

“I will make a decree to have elections on the 19th of April,” Iotova told ⁠a news conference on Wednesday, after meeting Gyurov, ⁠who presented the members ⁠of his caretaker government.

Bulgaria, which joined the eurozone on January 1, has faced prolonged political ‌instability, with parties unable to form stable ruling coalitions in a fragmented ‌parliament.

The upcoming parliamentary election will be ‌the eighth in just five years in the country.

The conservative GERB party came first in the most recent election in 2024, forming a coalition government.

Advertisement

People, however, began taking to the streets in late November over the 2026 draft budget, with protesters branded it as an attempt to mask rampant corruption.

Last month, Bulgaria’s longtime President Rumen Radev, a vocal government critic who supported the protests, announced his resignation amid speculation that he was looking to take part in the elections.

In an address to the nation, Radev, 62, said at the time he was eager to participate in the “battle for the future” of the European Union and NATO member.

He was replaced by his deputy, Iotova. New presidential elections are expected later this year.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Video: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says

Published

on

Video: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says

new video loaded: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says

transcript

transcript

‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says

Indirect talks between American and Iranian officials in Geneva on Tuesday ended with the two sides agreeing to “a set of guiding principles,” according to the Iranian foreign minister.

“So I’ll be involved in those talks indirectly. And they’ll be very important. We’ll see what can happen. It’s been typically — Iran’s a very tough negotiator. “We’ve been told that a deal is next to impossible.” “No, no. I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal. They want to make a deal.”

Advertisement
Indirect talks between American and Iranian officials in Geneva on Tuesday ended with the two sides agreeing to “a set of guiding principles,” according to the Iranian foreign minister.

By Monika Cvorak and Jamie Leventhal

February 17, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending