Connect with us

Washington

‘Violent attack on democracy’: Ballot boxes set ablaze in Oregon, Washington

Published

on

‘Violent attack on democracy’: Ballot boxes set ablaze in Oregon, Washington


play

The FBI and authorities in the Pacific Northwest were searching Tuesday for suspects after ballot boxes were set ablaze in Washington and Oregon, damaging hundreds of votes a week before Election Day.

Advertisement

In Oregon, Portland, police said they responded to reports of a fire at a ballot box in the Buckman neighborhood at about 3:30 a.m. Monday. Thirty minutes later and less than 15 miles to the north, Vancouver police responded to an arson at a ballot box.

Later Monday, Portland police released two photos of a vehicle investigators believe was tied to both fires. It was described as a black or dark-colored 2001-2004 Volvo S-60 with no front license plate and an unknown rear plate.

“We don’t know the motive behind these acts,” Assistant Chief Amanda McMillan said in a statement. “We do know acts like this are targeted and they’re intentional. And we’re concerned about that intentional act trying to impact the election process.”

McMillan said her department was “dedicated to stopping this kind of behavior.”

The FBI said in a statement to USA TODAY that it is “coordinating with federal, state and local partners” to investigate the fires. The FBI declined to comment on whether the arsons would be investigated as domestic terrorism.

Advertisement

Hundreds of ballots damaged in Washington; damage limited in Portland

Voting in both states takes place almost entirely by mail and drop boxes. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee called the fires a “violent attack on democracy” and promised enhanced, 24-hour security at ballot drop-off locations.

“We will do everything to keep our election system strong and secure in Washington,” he said. “Our state and local election teams are fully dedicated to making sure every person’s vote is counted fairly and accurately.” There will be 24-hour enhanced security around ballot drop-off locations.”

Clark County auditor Greg Kimsey said the fire suppression system in the box failed and “hundreds” of ballots had been destroyed in the Vancouver fire. The last pickup from the ballot box occurred at 11 a.m. Saturday, Kimsey told USA TODAY.

Advertisement

Kimsey said voters who believe their ballot was in the box when the fire occurred can request a new ballot at the county’s voting website. He further said that there will be increased police and civilian security around the drop boxes and ballot pickups will occur at 5:30 p.m.

In Oregon, Multnomah County election official Tim Scott said the fire suppression system did work in its box. Three ballots were destroyed in the Portland fire and those voters would be contacted, Scott said.

Second ballot box arson in Vancouver, Washington

Vancouver police said Monday’s arson was similar to one that occurred on Oct. 8 before ballots were being mailed, according to The Oregonian. The Vancouver ballot box is located in Washington’s 3rd Congressional District, where Democratic House Rep. Marie Gluesenkamp Perez is attempting to retain her seat, which she won by less than 3,000 votes in 2022 against Republican challenger Joe Kent.

Both candidates condemned the arsons.

“Southwest Washington cannot risk a single vote being lost to arson and political violence,” Gluesenkamp Perez said in a statement. “We can’t yield to intimidation, and we must continue to stand up against unpatriotic acts such as this one.

Advertisement

“Stay focused on driving voter turn out & early voting, don’t be deterred from voting by a cowardly act of terrorism,” Kent said on X, formerly Twitter.



Source link

Washington

Washington Nationals Give Back to U.S. Military Community Through Club-Led Initiatives

Published

on

Washington Nationals Give Back to U.S. Military Community Through Club-Led Initiatives


As part of the Washington Nationals’ commitment to supporting U.S. military member outreach and engagement and in celebration of America’s 250th birthday, the Club hosted a number of programs for service members and their families to start the 2026 season, including the continuation of year-round initiatives and the launch of



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Republicans flee Washington after flap on Trump's 'weaponization fund' and ballroom spending

Published

on

Republicans flee Washington after flap on Trump's 'weaponization fund' and ballroom spending


U.S. Senate Republicans abandoned plans to vote ​on an ICE funding bill on Thursday in ‌an act of revolt over one of President Donald Trump’s priorities: a $1.8 billion fund for victims of government “weaponization,” including those convicted of ​crimes during the riots at the Capitol on ​January 6, 2021.



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Washington Capitals re-sign Timothy Liljegren to a 2-year, $6.5 million contract

Published

on

Washington Capitals re-sign Timothy Liljegren to a 2-year, .5 million contract


ARLINGTON, Va. — The Washington Capitals re-signed defenseman Timothy Liljegren to a two-year contract worth $6.5 million.

General manager Chris Patrick announced the deal Wednesday. Liljegren will count $3.25 million against the salary cap next season and in 2027-28.

The right-handed-shooting Swede played just four games for the Capitals after they acquired him from San Jose at the trade deadline in early March. He could have a bigger role next season as part of a blue line that is not expected to have John Carlson back after Washington sent the pending free agent to Anaheim on the eve of the deadline.

Now 27, Liljegren has 94 points in 324 regular season and playoff games in the NHL, with the vast majority of that time spent with Toronto.

Advertisement

The biggest question of the offseason for Patrick and the front office is the status of longtime captain, face of the franchise and career goal-scoring record holder Alex Ovechkin, who has not yet declared whether he’ll return for a 22nd season at age 41.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending