San Francisco, CA
San Francisco man charged with attempted murder in unprovoked daylight Chinatown stabbing
SAN FRANCISCO – A 37-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder in what authorities described as an unprovoked, broad daylight stabbing in San Francisco’s Chinatown last week.
Suspect charged
What we know:
San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins announced that Jian Feng Huang was charged with attempted murder in connection with the attack at Stockton and Sacramento streets.
Huang, of San Francisco, will be arraigned Tuesday. He remains in custody.
Jenkins described the incident as a “horrific attack of an innocent man waiting to cross the street.” She said there is no indication that the victim and the suspect knew each other.
Surveillance video captures attack
Dig deeper:
Surveillance footage circulating online shows a man in a black hoodie walking down Stockton Street before suddenly lunging at a man who was waiting at a corner to cross the street.
The attacker stabbed the victim in the back and then walked away, according to the video. The victim is seen collapsing to the ground.
The attack occurred shortly after 1 p.m.
Bystanders rush to help
Local perspective:
Bystanders and business owners rushed to help the wounded man.
“We bring the ice and the towels to stop bleeding,” said Rawnie Chan, manager of Flags International Services. Chan said the victim was speaking in Cantonese and said he was in pain.
One business owner said she grabbed frozen dumplings from an office refrigerator to place on the wound because there were no restaurants nearby with ice available.
Victim recovering
Jenkins said the victim is recovering at a local hospital. Authorities previously said the victim suffered life-threatening injuries and has undergone at least two surgeries.
The Source: This story was written based on information from San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins.
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Sheriff discusses security at houses of worship, pickpocket arrests
San Francisco, CA
Caltrans considering 140 mph bus that would take passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) — The California Department of Transportation is exploring the idea of a high-speed bus system that could travel between San Francisco and Los Angeles, offering an alternative form of transportation for travelers who frequently move between the two regions.
The concept, which remains in its early stages, envisions buses traveling at speeds of up to 140 miles per hour on state freeways. Caltrans officials describe the proposal as part of a broader effort to examine what it calls high-speed buses.
“I think it would be great. We need to build more infrastructure in the state of California,” said Jeff Fisher, a San Francisco resident.
In a recent presentation, Caltrans outlined potential routes and corridors that could support the system. Officials pointed to freeways such as the Harbor Freeway and the San Bernardino Freeway as possible starting points.
“Freeways with some infrastructure may be candidates to start such as the Harbor Freeway and the San Bernardino freeway. Or perhaps it would be best to start with the interregional service that can connect Los Angeles with San Diego and San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento. That would favor I-5 and I-10 as the first freeways,” said Ryan Snyder, Caltrans feasibility studies manager.
MORE: California drops lawsuit seeking to reinstate federal funding for the state’s bullet train
The idea is already drawing interest from some travelers who regularly fly within the state.
“I think it would be a different form of transportation, and I think it might be more accessible,” said Katie Kim, a San Francisco resident who said she flies to Southern California three to four times a year.
“That would be a good idea maybe its faster,” said Arlette Contreras, a tourist.
MORE: Trump administration wants to hand out $2.4 billion it took from California’s high-speed railroad
However, transportation experts say the proposal would face some challenges, particularly in already congested corridors.
“Given the highly congested nature of that corridor on the interstate highways and really some of the secondary roadways, it would be critical that bus lanes would need to be additional lanes. They could not be in place of the existing lanes that people are already traveling on that are already highly congested,” said Rocky Moretti, director of policy and research with TRIP, a national transportation research nonprofit.
The proposal also comes as California spent more than $14 billion on a high-speed rail project intended to connect San Francisco and Los Angeles, according to the California High-Speed Rail Authority, something residents say remains top of mind as new transportation ideas are considered.
“Would love not to have to go through the airport. I’m just sort of skeptical that it will be able to work,” said Bradley Powles, a Hercules resident.
MORE: California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs bill requiring funding plan for state’s high-speed rail project
Caltrans has not provided cost estimates for the high-speed bus concept. A preliminary report noted that if the 140-mile-per-hour target proves infeasible due to cost, infrastructure or safety limitations, a slower speed of 80 to 100 miles per hour could serve as a practical alternative.
“Something that would be quicker and easier would be wonderful I hope it can be achieved,” Powles said.
Copyright © 2026 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.
San Francisco, CA
Headlines, May 20 – Streetsblog San Francisco
Streetsblog has migrated to a new comment system. New commenters can register directly in the comments section of any article. Returning commenters: your previous comments and display name have been preserved, but you’ll need to reclaim your account by clicking “Forgot your password?” on the sign-in form, entering your email, and following the verification link to set a new password — this is required because passwords could not be carried over during the migration. For questions, contact tips@streetsblog.org.
-
New Mexico2 minutes agoGreater New Mexico AMBUCS promotes mobility with Amtrykes
-
North Carolina8 minutes ago2 tax amendments will be on the ballot for North Carolina voters this November
-
North Dakota14 minutes agoMandan sensation AnnaClaire Bugbee may be the next “big thing” in North Dakota girls basketball – InForum
-
Ohio20 minutes agoFamily sues semi driver charged in I-71 crash that killed Ohio parents, baby
-
Oklahoma26 minutes agoNew task force to inspect Oklahoma’s early childhood programs
-
Oregon32 minutes agoOregon pumps breaks on AI data center boom | Fox News Video
-
Pennsylvania38 minutes agoMontgomery County Commissioners hear plea from EMS chief
-
Rhode Island44 minutes agoRhode Island Foundation invites Newport County residents to free community dinner June 2 – What’s Up Newp