Connect with us

New Mexico

Santa Fe mayor speaks out against SCOTUS homeless ruling

Published

on

Santa Fe mayor speaks out against SCOTUS homeless ruling


SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – The City of Santa Fe says it stands firmly against the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling allowing law enforcement to arrest homeless people for sleeping in public places. Santa Fe Mayor Alan Webber says the SCOTUS decision from two weeks ago not only fails to address the root causes of homelessness but “perpetuates a cycle of instability and marginalization for some of our most vulnerable citizens.”

Mayor Webber says the primary reason people are without homes is the lack of affordable housing. He says Santa Fe will remain a strong advocate for the rights of unhoused people.



Source link

Advertisement

New Mexico

Are National Guard troops, emergency state funds effective in Rio Arriba County?

Published

on

Are National Guard troops, emergency state funds effective in Rio Arriba County?


More than nine months after Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham intervened in what was deemed a “public safety emergency” in the Española Valley, millions of state dollars have been allocated to law enforcement agencies and increasing numbers of New Mexico National Guard members have been deployed to assist in policing. 

The governor, who has signed a dozen emergency orders authorizing $9 million for the region, pointed to what she called “a significant surge in violent crime, drug trafficking and public safety threats that have overwhelmed local resources” in Española and surrounding Rio Arriba County. The first order came after Lujan Grisham had deployed Guard members to Albuquerque.

The emergency state funding for the Española Valley is more than double the annual budget of the Española Police Department, which is about $4.2 million.

Advertisement






043026 gc espanola02 rgb.jpg

Advertisement

National Guard officers assist Española police officers while making as arrest in Española last month. 



Guard in ‘support role’

What the numbers say

Leadership, partnership



Source link

Continue Reading

New Mexico

New Mexico Supreme Court upholds conviction in 2018 death of 2-year-old girl

Published

on

New Mexico Supreme Court upholds conviction in 2018 death of 2-year-old girl


The New Mexico Supreme Court upheld a child abuse conviction on Monday of a Las Cruces man who was found guilty of killing a two-year-old girl in 2018.

In 2023, a jury found Lalo Castrillo guilty of abusing two-year-old Faviola Rodriguez to death. Rodriguez was left in Castrillo’s care by the toddler’s mother, Saundra Gonzales, who had left for work. An autopsy revealed that Rodriguez sustained blunt-force trauma to her head and body.

According to the state Supreme Court’s ruling on Monday, it unanimously rejected arguments made by Castrillo that there was not enough evidence for the jury to find that he caused the death of Rodriguez.

Castrillo had requested that the district court grant him a new trial based on newly discovered evidence, a photo the child’s mother posted on social media after the trial, which showed the child with a bruise on her head.

Advertisement

At a hearing on the request, the justices noted that the photo in question was taken six months before the child’s death

“Because the photo was taken months before both Victim’s death and the two earlier injuries Defendant claims caused her death, we conclude that the evidence was not material and therefore that the district court did not abuse its discretion in denying Defendant’s motion for a new trial,” the Court wrote.

As a result, the state Supreme Court upheld the conviction of Castrillo for intentional child abuse resulting in the death of Rodriguez and denied the request for a new trial.

During the 2023 trial, a doctor with the office of the medical investigator testified that a combination of blunt injuries to the head caused Rodriguez’s death.

“Here, the State presented medical evidence such that a reasonable juror could find that the acute blunt force injuries Victim suffered were inflicted while she was in Defendant’s exclusive care and that the injuries were not accidental,” the Court stated in the decision written by Justice Briana H. Zamora. “Two witnesses testified that on the day she was injured, Victim had no visible bruises or other signs of injury before she was left alone with Defendant.”

Advertisement

RECOMMENDED: El Paso toddler continues to face challenges after alleged non-accidental brain injury

Comment with Bubbles

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Sign up to receive the top interesting stories from in and around our community once daily in your inbox.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Mexico

New York Giants UDFA Scouting Report: RB Damon Bankston, New Mexico

Published

on

New York Giants UDFA Scouting Report: RB Damon Bankston, New Mexico


Damon Bankston, RB

Height: 5’ 10 ⅜”
Weight: 196 lbs
Class: Fifth-year Senior
School: New Mexico
Hands: 9 ½”
Arm Length: 30 ⅞”
Wingspan: 72 ⅝”
40-Yard Dash: 4.44 seconds
Bench Press: 21 reps
Vertical: 33”
Broad Jump: 10’ 3”
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-Cone: 6.89  seconds
STATS

Advertisement

Damon Bankston was an unranked running back recruit from Katy Paetow in Katy, Texas, who enrolled at Weber State, an FCS school in Ogden, Utah.

Advertisement

Bankston would stay at Weber State from 2021 to 2024 before transferring to New Mexico for his final season of college football in 2025.

As a redshirt senior, Bankston would rack up 635 rushing yards, 397 receiving yards, and 8 scrimmage touchdowns, as well as another 434 kick return yards and two touchdowns on just 12 returns.

Advertisement

Strengths

  • Explosive athlete with elite acceleration
  • Soft, natural hands as a pass-catcher out of the backfield 
  • Solid vision when operating in zone run schemes
  • Usually a patient runner before accelerating through gaps
  • Plays very quick as a runner with a bit of a choppy style
  • Eliminates tackle angles with acceleration
  • Can make defenders miss in space with a solid juke move
  • Kick return specialist with two return touchdowns in 2025
  • Willing as a pass protector in the backfield

Weaknesses

  • Likely won’t be able to survive through contact often against NFL-caliber defenders
  • Questionable ability to run between the tackles at the next level
  • Not necessarily a weakness but only one year of FBS film, not sure how he’ll adapt to NFL game speed
  • Questionable size to succeed in pass protection
  • Ball security was an issue for him in 2025, including two fumbles in one game against Colorado State
  • Play strength is a concern with contact balance, ball security, pass protection, and the ability to be an all-around back

Summary

Bankston will at best be a change-of-pace back in the NFL who never handles a significant workload.

Advertisement

Carving out a role as a return specialist should be the goal for Bankston to make the roster in 2026, which will also be a tall task for him to solidify with Deonte Banks back for the Giants in 2026.

Bankston, who at this point is probably more of a practice squad candidate, can definitely provide some juice on special teams as a kickoff returner. In college he averaged 36.2 yards per return and had two returns for touchdown, showing some explosiveness.

The step up in competition from the FCS to FBS for Bankston caused him to be less consistent with creating yards after contact and making defenders miss.

It’s fair to estimate that with another step up in competition, Bankston could once again see a decrease in that ability to create.

Advertisement

Sign up for our free newsletter and follow us on Facebook and X for the latest news, and send your mailbag questions to us.  

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending