Hawaii
Tsunami advisory canceled for parts of Alaska following M7.3 earthquake; NO threat to Hawaii
ANCHORAGE (KTUU/Gray News/HawaiiNewsNow) – A tsunami advisory has been canceled for South Alaska and the Alaskan peninsula after a large earthquake struck along the Aleutian Chain Wednesday.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says there was no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
The quake struck at 12:37 p.m. Alaska time, 10:37 a.m. Hawaii time, and measured a magnitude 7.3 with an epicenter roughly 54 miles from Sand Point along the Aleutians.
Shaking was felt all the way in Anchorage, about 600 miles away from the epicenter.
A tsunami warning was initially issued and later downgraded to an advisory, which was canceled at around 12:45 p.m. Hawaii time.
The advisory applied to the Pacific coasts from Kennedy Entrance, Alaska (40 miles SW of Homer) to Unimak Pass, Alaska (80 miles NE of Unalaska).
There was no tsunami threat to other U.S. and Canadian Pacific coasts in North America, officials said.
Copyright 2025 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii
Tanaka Ramen opens 7th Hawaii spot at Windward Mall
Enter your email and we’ll send a secure one-click link to sign in.
KHON2 is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.
Learn more at nexstar.tv/privacy-policy.
KHON2 is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.
Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is a leading, diversified media company that produces and distributes engaging local and national news, sports, and entertainment content across its television and digital platforms. The My Nexstar sign-in works across the Nexstar network—including The CW, NewsNation, The Hill, and more. Learn more at nexstar.tv/privacy-policy.
Hawaii
Long-term care advocates says Hawaii lawmakers need to do more – The Garden Island
Hawaii
Hong Kong outrigger canoeists pass Kaiwi Solo test – and aim to tackle it again
Fifty-one kilometres of open ocean, with no land in sight for the first hour: that is the reality of the Kaiwi Solo, a 51km (32-mile) outrigger canoe race across Hawaii’s Kaiwi Channel, widely regarded as one of the most demanding open-water crossings in the sport.
“You cannot see a thing – you have no point of reference,” said Alex Hunter. “It is extremely disorienting and unnerving setting off. It’s not until about an hour into the race that you can start to visualise where you are heading.”
Earlier this month, Ekaterina Lukyanets, a 39-year-old software engineer, and Hunter, 38, water sports manager at Victoria Recreation Club, became Hong Kong’s only female and only male participants in the annual event, each paddling the full 51 km alone.
For Hunter, the race had long held a near-mythical status. “It is not a race everyone can enter, and it is not a race everyone can finish,” he said. “That highly coveted nature is what drew me to it.”
After seven years in the sport, including local competitions and a 128km team race in Tahiti, he decided last year that the time had come.
What followed was six months of disciplined preparation: four to five sessions a week, often starting at 6am, with monthly mileage exceeding 400km.
-
Illinois4 minutes agoDes Plaines Rises To No. 9 In Illinois On Latest ‘Best Places To Live’ List – Journal & Topics Media Group
-
Indiana10 minutes agoSpeedway’s Rockin’ on Main draws crowd, despite the rain
-
Iowa16 minutes agoIowa Democrats outraise House GOP incumbents ahead of Iowa’s primary
-
Kansas22 minutes ago2026 Fort Wayne Komets vs Kansas City Mavericks – FloHockey – Hockey
-
Kentucky28 minutes ago
Georgetown Police working ‘active scene’ that left 1 person dead, 1 in custody
-
Louisiana34 minutes agoSenate amendment to bill would allow active climate change lawsuits
-
Maine40 minutes agoPetition to restrict trans student rights may be removed from Maine ballot
-
Michigan52 minutes agoFilm Study: What 2027 RB Lundon Hampton brings to Michigan Football