Connect with us

Denver, CO

Keeler: Nuggets’ Christian Braun wants to start. Michael Malone should let him.

Published

on

Keeler: Nuggets’ Christian Braun wants to start. Michael Malone should let him.


Like a good ranch dip, Christian Braun goes with anything. And anyone.

He runs through screens the way the Kool-Aid Man used to run through walls. He cuts to the rim like a Ginsu knife through a block of frozen spinach. He finishes Russell Westbrook pitches with grace and Nikola Jokic lobs with rage.

When Nuggets general manager Calvin Booth says he has seven starters, that includes Braun, who’s done everything asked — and more — to fill Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s Nikes.

“If everyone’s healthy,” I asked Braun last week, waving at the empty locker stalls of Aaron Gordon and Westbrook, “do you care whether or not you start?”

Advertisement

He does.

“I’m not going to sit here and say I don’t care. I do care,” Braun told me. “I do want that job. That’s the job I compete for and compete for every day. It’s a competition every day. But that doesn’t change my approach.”

And if Nuggets coach Michael Malone wants to keep this party going, he won’t change his starting five once Beastbrook’s left hamstring is healed up.

Denver (36-19), which hosts Charlotte (13-39) on Thursday to open up the post-All-Star-Break stretch run, hasn’t lost since Braun went back into the starting lineup on Feb. 1.

They’re 7-0 this month. Since resuming a starter’s role because of Westbrook’s hammy, CB’s been averaging 20 points, eight boards, four assists, two steals and roughly one 3-pointer.

Advertisement

Sure, the Nuggets’ opponents haven’t exactly been world-beaters — they’ve seen the Pelicans twice, Blazers twice and the Hornets once. And yeah, context matters. At the same time, 20 and eight is 20 and eight.

“It’s not up to me,” Braun continued. “That’s a coaching decision, and I trust whatever the coach’s decision is every night.

“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter — start, come off the bench. If they choose for me to come off the bench, then that’s what’s best for the team. If they choose me to start, then that’s what’s best for the team. It doesn’t really matter, in my opinion. That’s their decision. My job is to come out and play good basketball every night.”

The Nuggets let KCP walk and challenged Braun, already an elite, emphatic closer at the rim, to step up his spot-up game, especially from the wings. So far, so good. Per NBA.com tracking data, only Peyton Watson (14) has nailed more treys this season from the left corner than Braun’s 12 on the Nuggets’ roster.

And while CB’s 36.2% make rate on corner 3s (17 for 47) trails fellow guards Westbrook (45.2), Watson (45.3) and Julian Strawther (50.0), it’s also a jump of more than five percentage points off his accuracy on corner treys last season (31.0).

Advertisement

With Jokic, Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. green-lit to fire at will, the other two spots in the starting five have to be crazy efficient on the offensive end in order to hold up their ends of the table. We already know the kind of havoc Aaron Gordon can wreak from the “dunker” spot. The bar for Braun is to try and replicate KCP’s accuracy on those corner 3s, and he’s been creeping closer by the month — Caldwell-Pope was a 42.1% shooter on corner treys during the ’23-24 regular season and a 40.7% converter in ’22-23.

“Never an easy decision,” Malone said last month when asked about moving Braun to the bench. “I think the Russ-and-Nikola (Jokic) dynamic is the best two-man combination in the NBA right now, and I didn’t want to disrupt their rhythm. Knowing that CB, whether he comes off the bench and plays 29 minutes like he did tonight or he starts, he’s going to give us the same thing every night. We need that. … I applaud CB’s understanding of what we’re trying to do.”

And you get it. The Nuggets are 19-8 (.704) when Westbrook starts, 17-11 (.607) when he doesn’t. It’s about the big man, and Westbrook and Jokic looked practically telepathic in January. Russ is a future Hall-of-Famer, a veteran with a national cache. His ability to bring the ball up the floor theoretically lightens the load on Murray, who needs to be right as a shooter for this train to reach those elevated stations in May and June.

Although let’s be real about this, too: Everybody looks better playing with the Joker. Everybody. Heck, Ronnie 2K would look better playing with Jokic. According to NBA.com, the Nuggets’ three-man lineup of Joker-Murray-Braun has put up a better Offensive Rating (127.9) and Net Rating (plus-10.8) than Jokic-Murray-Westbrook (125.6 and plus-9.9) as a trio.

“If I come off the bench or if I do start, I’m still approaching the game the same way,” Braun said. “I’m not going to change who I am as a player. I’m not going to force anything. I’m going to continue to be who I am every single day, every single game, regardless if I start or come off the bench.

Advertisement

“But I’d be lying if I told you that didn’t (matter).”

At least he’s honest. Malone should be, too. And leave things where they are.

Want more sports news? Sign up for the Sports Omelette to get all our analysis on Denver’s teams.

Want more Nuggets news? Sign up for the Nuggets Insider to get all our NBA analysis.

Originally Published:

Advertisement



Source link

Denver, CO

Renck: Von Miller will always be a Bronco, even if playing for Denver again unlikely

Published

on

Renck: Von Miller will always be a Bronco, even if playing for Denver again unlikely


ASHBURN, VA. – Von Miller knew the answer. But he could not resist asking the question.

A free agent last summer, training camp approaching, Miller had not decided on a new team. Garett Bolles, in attendance at a Von’s Vision event in Colorado, urged his good friend to call the Broncos.

Von had not played in Denver since 2021. Russell Wilson had him on a group text with Chandler Jones in 2022, asking for him to return. Von wisely sidestepped that “disaster of a season,” signing with the Buffalo Bills as Denver added Randy Gregory.
Three years later, there was a new coach and new quarterback. Maybe the remodeling needed an old antique to complete the project.

Von picked up his iPhone and dialed general manager George Paton.

Advertisement

“When Garett brought it up, I was like, ‘Come on, man.’ You have Nik Bonitto and Jonathon Cooper. But I started thinking, ‘You have all these people on the team and there’s not a spot for me? I know there probably won’t be, but let me check and see.’ I talked with George and I already had an idea how it was going to go. And that is exactly what he said.”

There was no room for the 36-year-old Miller, not with backups Jonah Elliss and Dondrea Tillman capable of playing special teams. The conversation with Paton, the man who traded him to the Rams in 2021, was productive, but not for the reason he expected.

“It was more about me taking the steps to get into a front office. He knows I want to be a GM someday (a goal inspired and encouraged by Bills GM Brandon Beane),” Miller told The Post on Friday. “I am still happy I did it. That was this season. What about next year?”

Sitting below the No. 24 name plate — an ode to Champ Bailey and Kobe Bryant — in the Washington Commanders locker room, Von flashed that devilish grin, the one that appeared so often after his franchise-record 110.5 sacks with the Broncos.

Truth be told, he would “love to return” to the Commanders. Would like a “rain check” after a lost season because of a battery of injuries to stars, including quarterback Jayden Daniels. Daniels is why Von chose Washington over the Seahawks.

Advertisement

“Nothing against Sam Darnold, but it was Jayden Daniels. In my opinion, it was the best situation,” Miller said. “They were coming off the NFC Championship Game. And (coach) Dan Quinn had a plan for me as a veteran player. He gets it.”

Of course, nothing has worked out, save for Von delivering as an effective situational rusher. He has five sacks in 11 games. He wants a third Super Bowl ring. But he is also motivated to collect eight more sacks, and have his sons, Valor and Victory, gain a better understanding of what their dad does for a living.

That is why he fully intends to play next season. Get that number, and he will reach 142.5 for his career, ranking sixth all-time.

“Myles Garrett is like 14 sacks behind me, and he came into the league six years after me. I don’t want to make the top 10 and get knocked out,” Miller said. “I want to stay there for 10 or 20 years. So, yeah, I definitely want to play another year, and who knows after that?”

With Washington hosting the Broncos on Sunday night, Miller cannot avoid becoming nostalgic. He never wanted to leave, but knew his time was up after he called a captains meeting with coach Vic Fangio and Paton to discuss turning the season around and aiming for a division title.

Advertisement

“It fell on deaf ears. What I realized later is that we were were so far removed from that. That’s all I knew from playing with Peyton Manning. But we had guys who couldn’t relate. It’s hard to get somebody to miss something they never had,” Miller said. “I was talking about winning a Super Bowl, and they were like, ‘What? We are try to win a single game.’ ”

A few weeks later, Von was shipped out. He was surprised, the news bringing him to tears. He still wonders if he would have played his entire career in Denver if the Broncos had drafted someone like Bo Nix.

“We never had a quarterback for a lot of years. No one special or elite,” Miller said. “And Bo fell in their lap. And you’ve got him with one of the greatest minds in NFL history, Sean Payton. And they have Courtland Sutton, Troy Franklin, and Marvin Mims, and that offensive line is way better than what we had in 2015. This year’s team is special. And if Bo Nix continues to take those leaps.”

Miller catches himself. There he goes again. He cannot help it. When it comes to the Broncos, Von is a fan.

He spent a decade in Denver, morphing into a future Hall of Famer. He made mistakes, grew up before our eyes, became a father — his third child, a daughter named Virtue, is due in January — a leader and a champion.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Denver area events for Nov. 28

Published

on

Denver area events for Nov. 28


If you have an event taking place in the Denver area, email information to carlotta.olson@gazette.com at least two weeks in advance. All events are listed in the calendar on space availability. Friday Street Fair and Artisan Market — 11 am.-6 p.m., The Shops at Northfield, 8340 Northfield Blvd., Denver; shopsatnorthfield.com/events. Stunt Dog Experience for the Holidays — […]



Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Three people injured in Denver in shooting on Broadway

Published

on

Three people injured in Denver in shooting on Broadway


The Denver Police Department is investigating after three people were injured in a shooting late Wednesday night.

According to DPD, officers were called to the scene in the 1100 block of N. Broadway around 10:30 p.m. When they arrived, the officers found two people who had been injured. Both were taken to the hospital for treatment, but officials did not know the extent of their injuries.

A third victim was later found with what authorities said were minor injuries. That person was not taken to the hospital.

Advertisement

Investigators said they are working to develop suspect information.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending