Connect with us

Sports

Commanders fire Ron Rivera after 4 seasons: reports

Published

on

Commanders fire Ron Rivera after 4 seasons: reports

Read this article for free!

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email, you are agreeing to Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

The Washington Commanders fired head coach Ron Rivera on Monday as he became the second to be dismissed in the first few hours of the offseason, according to multiple reports.

Rivera took over as the Commanders’ head coach in 2020 after he spent nine years with the Carolina Panthers. He was 26-40-1 with Washington and only led the team to the playoffs once.

Advertisement

Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera walks the field before the game against the Dallas Cowboys at FedExField on January 07, 2024 in Landover, Maryland. (Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

Rivera was at the helm of the team when former team owner Daniel Snyder decided to drop the Washington Redskins name to become the Washington Football Team and then the Commanders. He was also at the helm when Josh Harris bought the team from Snyder.

It’s apparent Harris wants to start fresh for 2024 and beyond. Rumors have circulated over whether the team will go after Bill Belichick, should the legendary coach part ways with the New England Patriots.

RAVENS, 49ERS FINISH ON TOP OF NFL AS PLAYOFF PICTURE BECOMES CRYSTAL CLEAR

Advertisement

Head coach Ron Rivera of the Washington Commanders takes the field before the game against the San Francisco 49ers at FedExField on December 31, 2023 in Landover, Maryland. (Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

In Rivera’s final season, the team finished 4-13 – one of the worst records in the NFL. But it allows Washington to have a high draft pick and possibly improve upon their future.

Washington finished 24th in yards gained and 25th in points scored.

Washington Commanders defensive tackle Jonathan Allen (93) fist bumps head coach Ron Rivera prior to action against the Los Angeles Rams  at SoFi Stadium on December 17, 2023. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

Advertisement

Rivera’s dismissal came as the Atlanta Falcons parted ways with Arthur Smith. There are now five teams in need of a head coach for 2024 – the Commanders, Falcons, Panthers, Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Sports

Mayor calls on Los Angeles Olympics chief to resign amid Epstein controversy

Published

on

Mayor calls on Los Angeles Olympics chief to resign amid Epstein controversy

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called on LA 2028 Olympics chief Casey Wasserman to resign amid the fallout from his name appearing in the Jeffrey Epstein files last month.

Bass is the latest official to call out Wasserman, doing so in an interview with CNN. She said she was unable to fire him, but believed he should “step down.”

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass speaks at NBA Cares Legacy Project Dedication at the Weingart YMCA on Feb. 12, 2026. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

Advertisement

“The board made a decision,” she said. “I think that decision was unfortunate. I don’t support the decision. I do think that we need to look at the leadership. However, my job as mayor of Los Angeles is to make sure that our city is completely prepared to have the best Olympics that has ever happened in Olympic history.”

The Justice Department’s release of documents related to Epstein showed Wasserman having a flirtatious exchange with close Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell. Since then, he’s announced he will sell his talent agency as some clients have already announced their departures.

Wasserman’s decision to sell the agency came after the LA28 board’s executive committee met to discuss Wasserman’s appearance in the Epstein files. The committee said it and an outside legal firm conducted a review of Wasserman’s interactions with Epstein and Maxwell with Wasserman’s full cooperation.

LA OLYMPICS CHIEF RESPONDS AFTER EMAILS WITH GHISLAINE MAXWELL EMERGE IN EPSTEIN FILES

Casey Wasserman, Chairperson and President of LA28, during the media conference celebrating the 1000-day countdown to LA28 at Devon Park in Oklahoma City, Monday, Oct. 20, 2025. (Doug Hoke/The Oklahoman / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

Advertisement

“We found Mr. Wasserman’s relationship with Epstein and Maxwell did not go beyond what has already been publicly documented,” the committee said in a statement, adding that Wasserman “should continue to lead LA28 and deliver a safe and successful Games.”

Wasserman has said previously he flew on a humanitarian mission to Africa on Epstein’s private plane at the invitation of the Clinton Foundation in 2002. He said in a memo to staff that his interactions with Maxwell and Epstein were limited and that he regrets the emails.

“It was years before their criminal conduct came to light, and, in its entirety, consisted of one humanitarian trip to Africa and a handful of emails that I deeply regret sending. And I’m heartbroken that my brief contact with them 23 years ago has caused you, this company, and its clients so much hardship over the past days and weeks,” the memo said.

“I never had a personal or business relationship with Jeffrey Epstein,” Wasserman said in a prior statement. “As is well documented, I went on a humanitarian trip as part of a delegation with the Clinton Foundation in 2002 on the Epstein plane. I am terribly sorry for having any association with either of them.”

United States women’s national soccer team legend Abby Wambach announced she was leaving the agency. Chappell Roan also left the agency.

Advertisement

The Department of Justice released a trove of Epstein documents on Dec. 19 following President Trump’s signature on the Epstein Files Transparency Act in November 2025.  (Joe Schildhorn/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

In the email exchanges, Wasserman told Maxwell, “I think of you all the time. So, what do I have to do to see you in a tight leather outfit?” Another exchange showed Maxwell asking Wasserman whether it would be foggy enough during an upcoming visit “so that you can float naked down the beach and no one can see you unless they are close up?” Wasserman responded, “or something like that.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Wasserman has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

Fox News’ Ryan Morik contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Olympic curling scandal threatens to forever alter the sport’s culture of trust

Published

on

Olympic curling scandal threatens to forever alter the sport’s culture of trust

Cheating has been part of the Olympics since the ancient games, when violators were punished with fines, public flogging or lifetime bans.

The Milan-Cortina Games have hardly been an exception, although there have been no reports of public flogging.

These Olympics started with controversy when a report in the German newspaper Bild alleged ski jumpers were injecting hyaluronic acid into their penises in an effort to fly further. Then came a different kind of cheating when medal-winning Norwegian biathlete Sturla Holm Laegreid confessed to infidelity in a TV interview.

Both scandals drew attention even if most people already knew that all is not fair in love and soar.

But those paled in comparison to the outcry that erupted when some curlers — Canadian curlers — were accused of bending the rules. That was held up as a great breach of etiquette, instigating calls for additional officials and even video reviews in a sport where competitors have traditionally called their own fouls.

Advertisement

“Curling has historically operated on a culture of trust and self-regulation,” said Heather Mair, chair of recreation and leisure studies at the University of Waterloo and an expert on the social aspects of curling. “At most levels, players call their own infractions. They compete against people they know well, often in relatively small circuits, and they see each other repeatedly over the course of a season.

“That relational fabric has long been part of the sport’s informal governance.”

But when the sport returned to Olympic competition in 1998 after a 74-year break, that began to change. Suddenly, national pride, medals and funding were at stake. And after the Milan-Cortina Games ends, a well-funded professional league, the Rock League, will launch with six teams, further accelerating the sport’s evolution from hobby to profession.

“The whole context of the Olympics is the story here,” Mair said.

“What we’re seeing in curling is this kind of dramatic, heart-wrenching conversation within the sport about cheating and honesty and all this kind of stuff. Did that happen before in this case with the ski jumping? Was there this heart-wrenching conversation about cheating?”

Advertisement

Canada’s (from left) Brett Gallant, Marc Kennedy and Ben Hebert compete against the China at the Winter Olympics on Sunday.

(David J. Phillip / Associated Press)

To review, the Canadian men’s and women’s teams were accused of double touching the stone during release. The rules state a player may retouch the handle as many times as they wish when delivering a stone — as long as they do so before the hog line, the thick stripe that marks the end of the release zone. Touching the handle after the hog line is not allowed.

So when did Canada’s Marc Kennedy and Rachel Homan last touch their stones?

Advertisement

During Canada’s win over Sweden on Friday, the Swedes taped Kennedy’s release and the video showed him touching the stone with his index finger after releasing the handle. Kennedy, who was mic-d up, responded to Sweden’s allegations by swearing, which is also a break from curling culture.

A day later, World Curling, the governing body for the sport, deployed additional officials to monitor the hog line, and Homan had a stone disqualified in Canada’s loss to Switzerland when it was determined she touched it twice.

“This feels like a new era of surveillance for the sport,” Mair said. “I just don’t know how else we manage it.”

Modern stones have hog-line sensors built into the handles, so they reliably detect late release of the handle. But they don’t detect a brief touch on the granite itself. And without an umpire watching closely — or without video evidence — that kind of infraction can be difficult to spot.

“Despicable,” Canadian men’s skip Brad Jacobs said of the additional scrutiny. “As Canadian curlers, we were targeted. And to go out and pull her rock like that, I think it was a tragedy.”

Advertisement
Canada's Rachel Homan competes against China at the Milan-Cortina Games on Monday.

Canada’s Rachel Homan competes against China at the Milan-Cortina Games on Monday.

(Fatima Shbair / Associated Press)

Canadian coach Paul Jacobs took a more nuanced approach, conceding there’s a problem but disagreeing with the solution.

“If you listen to what Sweden said, and I think they’re right, this has been a problem that they’ve tried to identify to our international federation. And it wasn’t acted on,” Jacobs said. “Now we’re trying to quickly fix things at an Olympics, and I think it’s the wrong thing to do.

“A double-touch stone, or whatever it is, none of these officials have ever gone through any of their courses. We have untrained people doing things they’ve never done before. And we’re not at some bonspiel in Saskatchewan just trying things out. We’re at the Olympics.”

Advertisement

For Mair, the lament is that the very public controversy playing out on that Olympic stage will force changes at the top level of the sport that will trickle down to the grassroots. And what will be lost when that happens will alter curling forever.

“Once they start messing around with this trust, I think we’re on a pretty sad path,” Mair said. “This feels so ugly. But the value of these Olympic medals are such that, I guess this stuff can be sacrificed.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Norwegian skier has epic meltdown after costly error with Olympic gold in sight during slalom event

Published

on

Norwegian skier has epic meltdown after costly error with Olympic gold in sight during slalom event

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Blizzard conditions during the alpine skiing men’s slalom competition at the 2026 Milan Cortina Games led to chaos for the participants, and a medal favorite lost his cool at the end of Monday’s runs.

Out of the 96 competitors in the field, 52 of them were unable to complete their first runs on the mountain due to the snowy conditions. Skiers were having trouble keeping their balance, let alone hitting each gate.

Norway’s Atle Lie McGrath, competing in his second Olympic Games, was leading the field after the disastrous first run for many of his opponents.

Advertisement

Norway’s Atle Lie McGrath arrives at the finish area of an alpine ski, men’s slalom race, at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Bormio, Italy, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)

McGrath held a whopping 59-second lead heading into the second run, which is great for any slalom skier hoping to take home gold.

But, after straddling a gate on his second run, McGrath ruined his chances at taking home any medal, let alone gold.

McGrath knew that and reacted as such, launching his ski poles out of frustration. Then, after he was making his way off the course, he laid in the snow with his hands on his head, wondering what went wrong.

ILIA MALININ POSTPONES PRESS CONFERENCE A DAY AFTER EIGHTH-PLACE OLYMPIC FINISH

Advertisement

In turn, Switzerland’s Loïc Meillard won the gold medal, followed by Fabio Gstrein taking home silver and McGrath’s Norwegian teammate Henrik Kristoffersen winning bronze.

“It’s amazing,” Meillard said after winning gold, per the New York Post. “It’s been long days, a lot of expectations and about what you want to achieve, a lot of pressure on yourself.”

Gstrein added, “The feeling is great, really nice and cool,” after winning his silver medal.

Norway’s Atle Lie McGrath speeds down the course, during an alpine ski, men’s slalom race, at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Bormio, Italy, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026.  (AP Photo/Gabriele Facciotti)

McGrath’s wipeout despite being the gold-medal favorite heading into the second run is just another example of how these Winter Games have not been going according to plan for many of the top athletes competing.

Advertisement

On the United States’ side, snowboarder Chloe Kim and figure skater Ilia Malinin are just two examples of expected gold-medal finishers who had wipeout moments in their decisive events.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

Kim needed higher than a 90 on his third attempt at the women’s halfpipe to make Olympic history with three straight gold medals after 17-year-old Gaon Choi of South Korea had a clean final run to overtake first place.

Kim fell after attempting a trick, thus leaving her with the silver medal.

Norway’s Atle Lie McGrath arrives at the finish area of an alpine ski, men’s slalom race, at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Bormio, Italy, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)

Advertisement

As for Malinin, he wasn’t on the podium like Kim, falling twice during the men’s free skate. The 21-year-old, nicknamed “Quad God,” finished eighth in the event, shocking everyone in Milan.

But that’s the nature of the high-pressure moments the Olympics can bring out in these athletes. Execution is key, and when things don’t go the way they are hoped to, frustration can leak out.

In McGrath’s case, that frustration involved some pole throwing.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending