Southwest
Violent Venezuelan prison gang infiltrating US, becoming more organized and brazen: 'MS-13 on steroids'
A violent prison gang called Tren de Aragua, which originated in Aragua, Venezuela, is infiltrating the United States, according to U.S. officials.
The Treasury Department in July sanctioned TDA as a transnational criminal organization, saying the gang participates in different kinds of crimes ranging from human trafficking to kidnapping to extortion, money laundering and illicit drug trafficking, posing a “deadly criminal threat across” the Western Hemisphere.
Republican Texas Rep. Tony Gonzales described TDA as “MS-13 on steroids,” saying members have been coming to the United States for several years now in a phone interview with Fox News Digital.
“They’re extremely aggressive. It’s not as if they’re a passive group or they want to quietly go about things,” Gonzales said. “They’re coming from Venezuela, one of the most war-torn countries over the last decade. So, they’re battle-hardened in many ways. And they’ve made this trek from there to here. But they are also becoming … more organized and more brazen.”
BLOODTHIRSTY VENEZUELAN GANG TREN DE ARAGUA SETS UP SHOP IN US AS BORDER AUTHORITIES SOUND ALARM
Peruvian police in October 2023 captured the alleged leader and 31 other members of a faction of Tren de Aragua, the Venezuelan-born criminal organization. (Cris Bouroncle/AFP via Getty Images)
Gonzales said because of their organization within the states, TDA members are becoming more difficult to track. They’re also difficult to deport because Venezuela is not accepting them back into the country.
Only 834 Venezuelans were deported in fiscal 2023, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) data, despite more than 335,000 encounters with Venezuelan migrants at the border that year.
The Biden administration started returning illegal immigrants from Venezuela directly to the socialist dictatorship in October 2023 to discourage the flow to the border.
VENEZUELAN GANG TREN DE ARAGUA GIVES ‘GREEN LIGHT’ TO MEMBERS TO ATTACK COPS: OFFICIALS
Venezuela stopped accepting those flights in January, though, after the U.S. reimposed economic sanctions it had previously lifted.
“They basically released these people and told them, ‘You’re getting a one-way trip to the United States,’” Gonzales said.
This compilation shows a suspected Tren de Aragua member and the southern border. (Fox News/Border Patrol)
In a recent example of such violence, TDA members were linked to a June 24 jewelry heist in Denver, Colorado, during which multiple suspects posing as clients suddenly pulled out guns and pistol-whipped two women inside the jewelry store, according to FOX 31 Denver.
BORDER STATE LAWMAKER SOUNDS ALARM ON BLOODTHIRSTY VENEZUELAN GANG ENTERING US: ‘THEY HAVE NO RULES’
The Albuquerque Police Department in New Mexico recently shared a bulletin from the Colorado Information Analysis Center with personnel in July warning law enforcement of reports that TDA members in Denver have been given a “‘green light’ to fire on or attack law enforcement.”
TDA members were linked to a June 24 jewelry heist in Denver, Colo., during which multiple suspects posing as clients suddenly pulled out guns and pistol-whipped two women inside the jewelry store, according to FOX 31 Denver. (HSI El Paso)
Laken Riley murder suspect Jose Ibarra’s brother, Diego Ibarra, also has ties to the gang, as Fox News previously reported. The Ibarras, along with a third brother, were living in the U.S. illegally after crossing into the country through Texas and eventually making their way to the college town of Athens, Georgia.
The gang has been linked to dozens of robberies in all five boroughs of New York City, and two TDA members were accused of attacking two NYPD officers in Times Square in January.
FBI FEARS VENEZUELA MIGRANT GANG MEMBERS COULD POTENTIALLY TEAM UP WITH MS-13 KILLERS
Images taken from federal court filings include Diego Ibarra’s alleged fake green card as well as photos prosecutors say are evidence of his suspected ties to the violent Tren de Aragua gang from Venezuela. (Middle District of Georgia)
“Lots of people are fleeing economic persecution, and they’re looking for an opportunity,” Gonzales said. “But embedded in those people are lots of [criminals] who want to cause you harm. And don’t think for a second that that harm won’t happen to you because of wherever you live, or because you’ve never even met someone from Venezuela before. Doesn’t matter.”
Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) has a National Gang Unit that works with federal, state, local and international law enforcement partners to identify violent street gangs and arrest, prosecute, detain or remove transnational members, according to ICE. The agency also provides support to enhance gang investigations for HSI field offices across the nation and overseas.
“Homeland Security Investigations is committed to investigating, disrupting and dismantling transnational gangs and prioritizes work to combat emerging threats related to them,” an ICE spokesperson told Fox News Digital. “HSI is aware of recent violent crime and arrests involving individuals allegedly associated with the Tren de Aragua gang and continues to assess emerging trends and assist partner law enforcement agencies.”
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro (Gaby Oraa/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Illegal immigrants associated with gang activity in their home countries and identified during regular immigration enforcement duties are prioritized for arrest, detention and removal.
The FBI has warned that TDA members could team up with the more infamous MS-13 as it looks to expand within U.S. borders.
TDA “leverages its transnational networks to traffic people, especially migrant women and girls, across borders for sex trafficking and debt bondage,” the Treasury said in a July press release. “When victims seek to escape this exploitation, Tren de Aragua members often kill them and publicize their deaths as a threat to others.”
Anyone with information related to gang activity may submit anonymous reports to ICE by calling the HSI tip-line at 877-4-HSI-TIP.
Fox News’ Adam Shaw contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Los Angeles, Ca
Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled
Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.
Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit.
It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.
“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.”
Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday.
Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.
“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”
“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.
The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show.
More information can be found here.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say
A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.
The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.
“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”
Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.
“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note: the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”
In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”
The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.
In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City.
Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.
Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call
A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex.
Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.
“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”
Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence.
No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released.
-
Alabama1 minute agoAvery Luedke Transferring To Alabama After One Season With Tennessee
-
Alaska7 minutes agoSouthwest Airlines Begins First-Ever Alaska Service at Anchorage
-
Arizona13 minutes agoRoad to the WCWS: Arizona can’t defend the long ball, Duke wins Durham Regional
-
Arkansas19 minutes agoFayetteville architect constructed cutting-edge Fine Arts Center at University of Arkansas, paved modernism’s path | Arkansas Democrat Gazette
-
California25 minutes agoDuck Hunting in an Unlikely Destination: California Sea Ducks – Gun Dog
-
Colorado31 minutes agoColorado wildfires: Evacuations ordered for 13,000-acre wildfire burning on Colorado-Oklahoma border
-
Connecticut37 minutes ago22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury
-
Delaware43 minutes ago38-year-old motorcyclist killed in Wilmington crash, police say