Connect with us

Southwest

Texas woman turns 115, making her the oldest living person in the US

Published

on

Texas woman turns 115, making her the oldest living person in the US

Join Fox News for access to this content

You have reached your maximum number of articles. Log in or create an account FREE of charge to continue reading.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

A Houston, Texas, woman who turned 115 last month is now the oldest living person in the United States.

“She will tell you it’s by the grace of God,” her granddaughter Ethel Harrison, 69, also of Houston, told Fox News Digital. 

Advertisement

“That’s how she made it so long. She is very spiritual.”

TEXAS WOMAN CELEBRATES HER 114TH BIRTHDAY, ATTRIBUTING HER LONG LIFE TO GOD: ‘JUST THE LORD KEEPING ME HERE’

Elizabeth Francis was the second-oldest person in the U.S. until the previous longevity record holder Edie Ceccarelli, 116, of Mendocino County, California, died on Feb. 22.

Elizabeth Francis, 115, of Houston, Texas, is now the oldest living person in the United States and the fourth-oldest documented person living in the world. (Ethel Harrison)

Francis is also the fourth-oldest living person in the world — according to the Gerontology Research Group (GRT), a Los Angeles-based global social science institution of researchers in gerontology, human longevity, public health and demography.

Advertisement

“Supercentenarians” are folks who have lived more than 110 years. While there are more than 97,000 people in the United States who are classified as centenarians, there are far fewer supercentenarians, according to data from the World Economic Forum, a nonprofit research institute based in Switzerland.

Francis lives at home with her daughter, Dorothy Williams, who is 95.

The two have several caregivers, including Harrison.

100-YEAR-OLD OKLAHOMA WOMAN CELEBRATES 25TH ACTUAL BIRTHDAY ON LEAP DAY

Francis always believed in the loyalty of family and taking care of her own, Harrison said.

Advertisement

Ben Myers (pictured far right) of LongeviQuest, a global research organization that tracks human longevity, gathers with Elizabeth Francis’ family members and presents her award as the oldest living American in the U.S. (Ethel Harrison)

“She was a caregiver herself,” Harrison said.

“She actually took care of her dad until he passed at the age of 99. And then she had a sister come live with her. She always said, ‘Treat people like you want to be treated.’ That was her motto and we’ve always kind of lived by that.”

Ben Meyers is CEO of LongeviQuest, a global research organization that tracks and studies human longevity.

WWII VETERAN, 100, CELEBRATES MILESTONE BIRTHDAY BY PLAYING DRUMS, REVEALS SECRETS TO LONGEVITY

Advertisement

“There’s a lot of interest recently in longevity and also aging,” Meyers said. 

Ben Meyers, CEO of LongeviQuest, a global research organization that tracks and studies human longevity, said many of those he works with over the age of 100 have a strong sense of faith. (Ben Meyers)

“How to take care of people, live good, fulfilling lives. There’s really no better role model than supercentenarians. They’re very interesting — their histories, their philosophies,” he added. 

“And there are folks who are interested in learning the secrets of longevity … trying to come up with formulas. But the only ones we know who are successful at aging to the maximum degree are supercentenarians. We call them the Olympians of aging. Ms. Francis is a great example.”

Meyers visited Francis and her family earlier this year to present her with an award to recognize her as the oldest living American in the U.S.

Advertisement

“One thing that she really is an example of more than almost anybody else I’ve met is just family and community,” he said.

CALIFORNIA WWII VETERAN, 103, SHARES REMARKABLE LIFE STORY AND ADVICE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE: ‘PRAY EVERY NIGHT’

“She lives at home, and she’s the oldest person in the world to live at home. It’s really pretty extraordinary. Also, the community that she has through her church. So there [are] really active families and communities. It’s very difficult for people to reach that age in isolation,” Meyers added.

Francis is now officially the oldest living person in America after her 115th birthday last month. (Ethel Harrison)

Born in Louisiana on July 25, 1909, Francis has lived through two world wars and now two global pandemics. 

Advertisement

She never drove a car, but she worked outside the home, running the coffee shop at a TV station in Houston during the 1970s and 80s.

Francis has three grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren. 

TIKTOK STAR AND WWII VETERAN ‘PAPA JAKE’ TURNS 100, WANTS FUTURE GENERATIONS TO KNOW HIS STORIES

Harrison said her grandmother’s main focus has always been on her family and her faith.

“If we had a gathering, whether a party or a graduation, she was always there,” Harrison said.

Advertisement

Last year, Francis and her family celebrated her 114th birthday. (Ethel Harrison)

Francis only attended one church, which she’s still a member of, Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church, which was established in 1872.

“Pastor Cofield and the members still come out to the home,” Harrison said. 

For more Lifestyle articles, visit www.foxnews.com/lifestyle.

Francis attributes her long life to her faith and still watches her church on television since she cannot attend in person. (Ethel Harrison)

Advertisement

“They come to visit and bring communion,” Harrison said. “She is still an active member even though she is not able to attend church. We watch on television.”

Meyers said the supercentenarians he interviews have a strong sense of faith.

“Ms. Francis gives 100 percent of the credit for her longevity to God,” Meyers said. 

NEW YORK VETERAN, 105, SHARES HER SECRET TO A FULFILLING LIFE: FAITH, FAMILY AND ‘NO REGRETS’

Francis has three grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren — all of whom were at her 114th birthday celebration last year. (Ethel Harrison)

Advertisement

Another characteristic Francis exemplifies, Meyer said, is “total fortitude.” 

“Not letting herself get distracted by things that are outside of her control,” he said. 

“She is really focused on her world. I’ve asked her about the events she lived through and her answers are quite blasé. Every event, good or bad, kind of rolled off her sleeve because she focused on her world day to day.”

Harrison said that although Francis is no longer a big talker, an old hymn definitely catches her grandmother’s attention and she enjoys singing along. 

Advertisement

Francis is reportedly only one of 68 people who have reached the age of 115 and 25 of the longest-living Americans in history. (Ethel Harrison)

Francis always had a love for gardening and sharing vegetables with others.

“She believed in cooking her own healthy food and working hard — Just work hard,’ she said. And that’s what we did.”

Francis is one of only 68 people known to have reached the age of 115, and she is among the 25 longest-lived people in American history, according to LongeviQuest.

Advertisement

Last year, when asked what she attributes her long life to, Francis told Fox News Digital, “Just the Lord working with me and keeping me here.”

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Los Angeles, Ca

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Published

on

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.

Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit. 

It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.

“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.” 

Advertisement

Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday. 

Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.

“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”

“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.

The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show. 

Advertisement

More information can be found here.  

Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

Published

on

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.

The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.

“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”

Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.

“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note:  the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”

Advertisement

In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that  Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”

The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.

In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.

NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City. 

Advertisement

Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.

Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

Published

on

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. 

According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex. 

Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance. May 2026. (ANG)

“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”

Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence. 

Advertisement

No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending