Southwest
Border mayors judge Harris' performance on immigration crisis as vice president: 'Nonexistent'
Vice President Kamala Harris’ record on immigration and border security has been thin in her current role, according to three mayors along the southern border, leaving questions about how she plans to tackle one of the biggest issues in the 2024 presidential election.
“From where I sit, I would grade the vice president’s performance of the border crisis as pretty much nonexistent,” Mayor Douglas Nicholls of Yuma, Arizona, told Fox News Digital.
President Biden assigned Harris to tackle the root causes of Central American migration, from poverty to violence, in early 2021. Harris traveled to Mexico and Guatemala that June, and negotiated a deal that saw the U.S. send $4 billion to Central American countries, with private companies kicking in an extra $5.2 billion.
Vice President Kamala Harris visited Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei at the Palacio Nacional de la Cultura on June 7, 2021. Harris made few visits to the border or the countries south of it during her time as vice president, despite being tasked with addressing the root causes of Central American migration. (Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
SIX HOUSE DEMS VOTE WITH GOP TO CONDEMN KAMALA HARRIS FOR ‘BORDER CZAR’ ROLE
She also visited El Paso, Texas, in 2021, amid mounting pressure from Republicans.
But Harris’ focus faded from immigration after that, and she has not visited the southern border or any Central American countries since January 2022.
“Every border is different,” Mayor Jorge Maldonado of Nogales, Arizona, said. “‘Til you see her come here and really look at our border and pay any interest, you know, she doesn’t know what Nogales is.”
Nogales sits above “one of the hardest borders to get to,” Maldonado said, sparing it from much of the migrant surge other sectors endured.
But Customs and Border Protection does send lots of migrants from other areas to the small, remote city because it is home to a large processing center, which caused some chaos at the height of the surge when officials began releasing migrants, Maldonado said.
WATCH MORE FOX NEWS DIGITAL ORIGINALS HERE
Media outlets and Republicans gave Harris the moniker of “border czar” shortly after she received her root causes directive. The White House rejected that nickname at the time, and is pushing back on it again as Harris’ critics argue she failed to make any difference at the border.
“The term ‘border czar’ … it’s become more of a political liability since there wasn’t a lot done,” Nicholls said.
“She needed to be here,” Dr. Victor Treviño, mayor of Laredo, Texas, said when asked about the White House’s opposition to the informal title. But now, he said he sees a “great opportunity” for Harris to get bold on immigration.
Treviño attended a gathering of Latino leaders last week at the vice president’s residence in D.C. and said he saw a new side to Harris. As vice president, she was very quiet, he said. Since becoming a candidate, Harris is “communicative and very outspoken on things that need to be done,” he said.
“If she continues to function in that fashion, I think she’ll have a very good chance,” he said.
Immigrants wait to be processed by the U.S. Border Patrol after crossing into the United States on Aug. 6, 2022, in Yuma, Arizona. (Photo by Qian Weizhong/VCG via Getty Images)
CRISIS IN CALIFORNIA: A $6,500 CARTEL TICKET AND A DREAM OF DRIVING FOR DOORDASH
Treviño is inviting Harris to visit the border in Laredo ahead of the election, as immigration continues to rank high among voters’ priorities.
“The Latino vote is crucial for her if she is to win the presidency,” Treviño said. “She needs to look at our challenges and be involved with what we live and work every day here.”
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Fox News Digital reached out to the Vice President’s campaign and the White House, but did not immediately hear back.
Click here to hear more from the mayors.
Ramiro Vargas contributed to the accompanying video.
Read the full article from Here
Los Angeles, Ca
Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled
Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.
Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit.
It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.
“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.”
Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday.
Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.
“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”
“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.
The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show.
More information can be found here.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say
A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.
The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.
“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”
Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.
“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note: the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”
In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”
The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.
In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City.
Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.
Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call
A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex.
Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.
“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”
Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence.
No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released.
-
Florida3 minutes ago
No. 5 Arkansas Clinches Super Regional Berth by Run-Ruling South Florida, 10-2
-
Georgia9 minutes agoGeorgia primary election: Voters head to polls Tuesday
-
Hawaii15 minutes agoPedestrian hospitalized after crash on Kapiolani Boulevard
-
Idaho21 minutes agoCold nights, gusty winds and a freeze threat ahead before eastern Idaho heats back up – East Idaho News
-
Illinois27 minutes agoFire sweeps through old Balmoral Park racetrack facilities in Crete, Illinois
-
Indiana33 minutes ago
Speedway one of numerous statewide locations people rallied against ICE in Indiana
-
Iowa39 minutes agoHow Jaylen Raynor can Make or Break Iowa State Football in 2026
-
Kansas45 minutes agoMeade County residents asked to prepare for evacuation due to wildfire threat