Connect with us

Southeast

Kentucky Republicans introduce 'three-strikes' measure amid broader crime crackdown effort

Published

on

Kentucky Republicans introduce 'three-strikes' measure amid broader crime crackdown effort

Republican lawmakers in the Kentucky House unveiled a three-strikes measure on Tuesday that would keep people locked up after being convicted of a third violent felony.

The proposal is part of a broader anti-crime bill designated as a priority for Republicans in the 60-day session. The measure surfaced during the second week of the session after lawmakers spent months meeting with stakeholders and tinkering with many of the provisions.

“This bill is about putting people who are going to continue to commit crime, getting them off our streets,” said Republican Rep. Jason Nemes, among the bill’s leading supporters.

REPUBLICANS, DEMOCRATS FINALIZE CANDIDATE LINEUPS FOR KENTUCKY ELECTIONS IN 2024

The proposal would result in life in prison without the possibility of parole for those who commit three violent felonies in Kentucky, GOP Rep. Jared Bauman, a lead sponsor of the bill, told reporters.

Advertisement

The exterior of the Kentucky Capitol is viewed April 7, 2021, in Frankfort, Kentucky. (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley, File)

Crime was a central issue in last year’s gubernatorial campaign, won by Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear. Both candidates offered public safety plans.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky criticized the three-strikes measure, with Kungu Njuguna, a policy analyst for the group saying that “criminalization penalties don’t make us safe.”

Njuguna pointed to already-high incarceration rates in Kentucky and said a better strategy for improving public safety is to invest more in mental health and substance use treatment, affordable housing, transportation and education.

Advertisement

“We need to get at the root causes of what get people into the criminal legal system and prevent them from getting into the system,” Njuguna told reporters.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Southeast

Federal judge releases four illegal immigrants convicted of murder, sex crimes from ICE Custody

Published

on

Federal judge releases four illegal immigrants convicted of murder, sex crimes from ICE Custody

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A federal judge in Louisiana has released four illegal immigrants with lengthy rap sheets that include convictions for murder and child sex crimes from law enforcement custody earlier this month.

On Feb. 6, Judge John deGravelles, an Obama appointee who sits on the bench for the Middle District Court of Louisiana, granted the four defendants release from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody, the Department of Homeland Security said. 

“The ramifications will only be the continued rape, murder, assault, and robbery of more American victims,” said Assistant DHS Secretary Tricia McLaughlin. “Releasing these monsters is inexcusably reckless. President Trump and Secretary Noem are now enforcing the law and arresting illegal aliens who have no right to be in our country.”

EXCLUSIVE: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT RELEASED UNDER BIDEN ‘CATCH-AND-RELEASE’ ALLEGEDLY KILLS DRIVER IN POLICE CHASE

Advertisement

A federal judge in Louisiana released Ibrahim Ali Mohammed, Luis Gaston-Sanchez, Ricardo Blanco Chomat and Francisco Rodriguez-Romero, all illegal immigrants with convictions for various violent and sex crimes, from ICE custody last week. (Department of Homeland Security; Getty Images)

“We are applying the law as written,” she added. “If an immigration judge finds an illegal alien has no right to be in this country, we are going to remove them. Period.”

The four defendants include Ibrahim Ali Mohammed, an Ethiopian citizen convicted of sexual exploitation of a minor. An immigration judge issued him a final order of removal on Sept, 5, 2024. 

He was released into the United States by the Biden administration.

DHS HONORS ILLINOIS WOMAN WHOSE CORPSE WAS ALLEGEDLY ABUSED BY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT FREED UNDER SANCTUARY LAWS

Advertisement

Judge John W. deGravalles sits on the bench for the Middle District Court of Louisiana. (U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana )

Luis Gaston-Sanchez, from Cuba, has convictions for homicide, assault, resisting an officer, concealing stolen property and two counts of robbery. 

An immigration judge issued a deportation order for him on Sept. 24, 2001.

The entrance to the Louisiana State Penitentiary, known as “Angola,” was seen in October 2013. (Giles Clarke/Getty Images)

Ricardo Blanco Chomat, also a Cuban citizen, has convictions for homicide, kidnapping, aggravated assault with a firearm, burglary, robbery, larceny and selling cocaine. 

Advertisement

A deportation order was issued for him on March 27, 2002.

Francisco Rodriguez-Romero was previously convicted of homicide and a weapons offense. He was ordered to be deported on May 30, 1995.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

In Sept. 2025, DHS announced a partnership with Louisiana to expand ICE detention space at the Louisiana State Penitentiary, also known as Angola Prison. The facility, dubbed the “Louisiana Lockup,” houses some of the criminal illegal immigrants arrested by ICE.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the Middle District Court of Louisiana for comment. 

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

Florida man allegedly points gun at multiple drivers during road rage confrontation

Published

on

Florida man allegedly points gun at multiple drivers during road rage confrontation

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A Florida man faces seven felony charges after being arrested last weekend following a road rage incident, according to authorities.

Blackie Alvarez, 33, of Bonifay, Florida, was arrested after allegedly pointing a handgun at another driver during a road rage confrontation, according to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office.

At around 1 p.m. on Feb. 8, police responded to a report of a man pointing a firearm at drivers while traveling north on U.S. 331 in DeFuniak Springs.

‘PROTECTOR’ FATHER OF NINE SLAIN AFTER MINOR CRASH SPIRALS INTO DEADLY ROAD RAGE CLASH

Advertisement

Blackie Alvarez, 33, was arrested after allegedly pointing a handgun at another driver during a road rage incident in Florida, authorities said. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

Police located the white Ford Explorer, and the driver — later identified as Alvarez — exited the vehicle and removed a black handgun from his waistband, which he placed on top of the vehicle.

Two metal knuckles were also found in Alvarez’s pockets, police said.

Investigators said Alvarez began speeding and honking at the victims, who told deputies that Alvarez sped around them before coming to a complete stop in front of their vehicle, where he allegedly pulled out a firearm and pointed it at them.

Alvarez refused to speak with investigators, police said.

Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: FBI CAPTURES LONGTIME FUGITIVE IN HONDURAS IN CONNECTION WITH 2000 KILLING OF PHILADELPHIA GIRL

Blackie Alvarez faces multiple felony charges after authorities say he pointed a handgun at another driver during a road rage confrontation. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

Alvarez was charged with two felony counts of false imprisonment, two felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one felony count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, two counts of unlawful carry of a concealed weapon and driving without a license.

Alvarez also had an outstanding warrant in Bay County, Florida, for failure to pay child support.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

A Florida man was charged with multiple felony weapons offenses following an alleged road rage incident on Feb. 8, according to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

He was taken into custody and held on a $235,000 bond, police said.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

6 years after political comeback, Biden faces cold shoulder from fellow Democrats

Published

on

6 years after political comeback, Biden faces cold shoulder from fellow Democrats

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Former President Joe Biden will be feted by South Carolina Democrats later this month, to mark the sixth anniversary of his Palmetto State primary landslide, a comeback victory that rocketed Biden to the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination and later the White House.

But with many Democrats still smarting from their party’s major 2024 election setbacks, fueled in part by a very unpopular Biden presidency and the then-president’s dropping his re-election bid amid serious questions about his physical and mental abilities following a disastrous debate with now-President Donald Trump, the South Carolina celebration appears to be an outlier.

As they seek office in gubernatorial and congressional races in this year’s elections, nine candidates who served in the Biden administration appear to be keeping their distance from the former president, according to a new report from Axios.

POTENTIAL 2028 CONTENDER SHAPIRO KNOCKS BIDEN’S RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT

Advertisement

First lady Jill Biden and then-President Joe Biden await the arrival of then-President-elect Donald Trump at the White House on Jan. 20, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Biden ended his presidency with approval and favorable ratings well underwater, and the 13 months since he left office have not apparently healed the damage done to his standing among those in his own party.

“Biden remains a liability,” a veteran Democratic strategist who asked to remain anonymous to speak more freely, told Fox News Digital. “Being associated with the Biden administration is doing some candidates no favors as they run this year.”

HOUSE DEMOCRATS ON OFFENSE: EXPAND THE 2026 MAP

That’s a switch from the 2018 elections, the previous midterm cycle when Trump was in office and the Democrats were out of power, when former President Barack Obama as well as then-former Vice President Biden were in demand on the campaign trail.

Advertisement

Then-former Vice President Joe Biden is flanked by his wife Jill and Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, as Biden gives his victory speech following a landslide victory in the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Feb. 29, 2020. (Paul Steinhauser/Fox News )

Among those not highlighting Biden this cycle is Deb Haaland, a former House member from New Mexico who served as Department of the Interior secretary in the Biden administration and is now running for governor in the blue-leaning state. The former president isn’t mentioned on Haaland’s campaign website.

Another example is Xavier Becerra, who served as secretary of Health and Human Services under Biden and is now running for California governor. The former president isn’t mentioned in Becerra’s campaign launch video.

IT’S EARLY IN 2026, BUT THE 2028 WHITE HOUSE RACE IS WELL UNDERWAY

But some Biden alumni running in solidly blue areas are mentioning their service during his administration. That includes Democratic congressional candidate Sanjyot Dunung, who is seeking office in Illinois 8th District. She mentions in her launch video that she served on Biden’s foreign policy working group.

Advertisement

Former Vice President Kamala Harris is considered a potential contender for the 2028 Democratic presidential nomination. (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

It’s still too early to tell if the former president could end up being a drag on potential 2028 presidential contenders that served in his administration. Both former Vice President Kamala Harris and Biden Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg are seen as possible White House contenders.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

For Democrats hoping Biden stays out of the limelight, the former president has mostly obliged. Biden has only made a handful of high-profile public appearances and sat for just a couple of major interviews since the end of his presidency.

Fox News reached out to Biden’s post-presidency team for comment, but didn’t receive a response at the time this story was published.

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Trending