Connect with us

West Virginia

Initial Thoughts Following West Virginia’s Come-From-Behind Win Over UCF

Published

on

Initial Thoughts Following West Virginia’s Come-From-Behind Win Over UCF


West Virginia got back in the win column on Saturday night, taking down the UCF Knights for their 16th win of the season and their seventh of Big 12 play. The Mountaineers erased a 14-point deficit to win 74-67

Advertisement

As always, a few of my quick thoughts from this one.

The worst broadcasting luck

Of course, this has nothing to do with what happened on the floor, but I’d be remiss to not point out how often the game before West Virginia always runs over or inevitably turns into an overtime game. Then, to make matters worse, FS1 takes a commercial break during the middle of the game, I assume to fix the visual issues they were having, resulting in four minutes of game action that no one could see.

Found something on offense?

Advertisement

After a dreadful first half performance, West Virginia did a much better job of penetrating and scoring inside, although they scored 10 fewer points there compared to what they did in the first half. Part of that was drawing fouls and getting to the free-throw line, a place where they’ve struggled mightily all season. Tonight? They went 15/17 in the second half, which helped them claw back in, take the lead, and seal the deal. Chucking up a ton of threes is just not what’s best for this group, as we’ve seen over the past couple of games.

Staying alive!

There’s still plenty of work to do, but WVU really needed to get this one. A quad 1 win, a road victory, against a team that is currently viewed as an NCAA Tournament team…just huge. This group battled, scrapped, and clawed all night long, even when things looked awfully bleak. A massive win not only for the resume, but also for the confidence of this group to erase such a major deficit on the road against a quality team. Now the attention turns to taking care of business at home on Wednesday night against a struggling Utah team. Get that one and keep your postseason hopes alive.

Advertisement

MORE STORIES FROM WEST VIRGINIA ON SI

West Virginia Escapes After Holding a Seven-Run Lead, Take Series

Bob Huggins Receives Standing Ovation at Akron Game — When Will it Happen at WVU?

Brand New WVU Offensive Depth Chart Projection Featuring a Change Up Front

Advertisement

WVU Five-Star Signee Miles Sadler Delivers Eye-Popping Performance

Advertisement

Oh No! New WVU WR TaRon Francis Appears to Have Suffered an Injury



Source link

West Virginia

Hancock County Schools latest to fall under W.Va. Board of Education control amid concerns

Published

on

Hancock County Schools latest to fall under W.Va. Board of Education control amid concerns


Hancock County has become the most recent West Virginia school district to be placed under the control of the West Virginia Board of Education, joining Mingo, Upshur, Logan, Tyler, Nicholas and Boone counties.

“What we do have is that there’s been some problems in terms of accountability,” West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey said. “When you have that many schools systems that are being taken over, that’s not a good sign. You have to be very proactive to get the word out, make sure those dowers are being used effectively.”

Last week, Morrisey named James Paul as the newest state school board member, his first appointee as governor. Morrisey has recently been critical of the state school board on a range of issues, including oversight of county board finances.

“I named a new state school board member, that was my first pick and I’ve asked him to try to get to the bottom of a lot of these issues because West Virginia doesn’t have a spending problem statewide- we’re actually the middle of the pack, between 25 and 27 in terms of spending per pupil,” Morrisey said.

Advertisement

A major question surrounding the situation at Hancock County Schools involves audits. The county had been operating more than 100 positions over state staffing formulas, and the state school financial operations officer told lawmakers in a committee meeting last month that the county failed to appropriately report through the West Virginia Education Information System. An investigation is still ongoing.

“It raises a question of exactly how these audits have been conducted and what else needs to be done to make sure money can’t fly out the door like that or that these districts are going to be run in a fiscally responsible manner,” Morrisey said.

Meanwhile, House Bill 4574 and House Bill 4575 have been held up in committees since Jan. 20. The bills would allow the state board to administer supplemental funds beyond the school funding formula and would appropriate $8 million to fund the shortfall supplement fund.

Asked whether the bills could move before the end of the legislative session in March, Morrisey said, “I’ve had some discussions with some people in the Senate and the House and I know that there is an interest in getting something done. We’ll keep talking about that and I do expect that there will be something that happens in the next few weeks before the session ends.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

West Virginia

MetroNews This Morning 2-16-26 – WV MetroNews

Published

on

MetroNews This Morning 2-16-26 – WV MetroNews


Today on MetroNews This Morning:

–Federal judges are raising concerns about detained illegal aliens in West Virginia
–Mon Power seeks a permit for a new gas plant to be built for power in Monongalia County
–Sunday marked the one year anniversary of devastating flooding in southern West Virginia
–In Sports, a loss by the Mountaineer women puts them out of the Big XII lead

Listen to “MetroNews This Morning 2-16-26” on Spreaker.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

West Virginia

2 from W.Va. charged with threatening people in Tarentum home with guns during custody exchange

Published

on

2 from W.Va. charged with threatening people in Tarentum home with guns during custody exchange


A woman and a man from West Virginia were arrested after the woman pulled a handgun during a child custody exchange in Tarentum on Friday night, according to court records.

Tarentum police arrested Alexis Sage Simpkins, 22, of Morgantown, W.Va., and Joseph Erickson, 24, of Fairmont, W.Va., after responding shortly after 9 p.m. to a report that two people with handguns were outside a home in the 300 block of West 11th Avenue and threatening the people there, according to their criminal complaints.

As an officer approached the home, a car with West Virginia plates was backing out of the driveway. The officer used his vehicle to prevent it from leaving, the complaints state.

Numerous people near the porch of the home pointed at the car yelling, “That’s them.”

Advertisement

Simpkins, the driver, and Erickson, the passenger, were both detained. According to the complaints, Simpkins admitted to having two handguns and gave the officer permission to retrieve them from the car.

A Ruger .380 in the center console was not loaded. A 9mm Ruger on the passenger side floor was loaded with a live round in the chamber, the complaints say.

Neither Simpkins or Erickson have a concealed weapons permit in Pennsylvania or any state, police found.

Police said they learned from the people at the house that a child custody exchange was taking place there. They said Erickson became aggressive and a fight took place between him and a man at the house, during which Simpkins retrieved one of the guns from her vehicle, loaded the chamber by moving the slide back, and pointed it at four others, the complaints state.

The Tarentum officer arrived shortly after that moment. The officer reported that the man from the house had a large abrasion and a “goose egg” on his forehead, according to the complaints.

Advertisement

Simpkins and Erickson were each charged with a misdemeanor count of carrying a firearm without a license. Simpkins was also charged with misdemeanor counts of simple assault and recklessly endangering another person; Erickson was charged with disorderly conduct.

They were arraigned Saturday and released on their own recognizance, according to court records. Their preliminary hearings are scheduled for 1:15 p.m. March 4 before District Judge Carolyn S. Bengel.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending