ST. LOUIS — The move made sense in the moment: Nationals Manager Dave Martinez lifted Jesse Winker for a pinch hitter in the top of sixth with the bases loaded in a two-run game. St. Louis had brought in a left-hander and Winker is a lefty.
Washington, D.C
On a night the Nats deal Jesse Winker, they also blow out the Cardinals
Martinez said he didn’t know about the pending trade when he made the move. He simply liked the matchup.
“I’m excited, right?” Winker said after the game. “I’m going to be a part of a great team that’s been winning a lot. It’s a wonderful opportunity. And then, obviously, I’m extremely thankful for everybody here. The opportunity to come and play every day. I’m so thankful for Mike Rizz0 and Davey. They really took a chance on me and I feel like I owe them a lot for that.”
The move is the second the Nationals have made this month leading up to Tuesday’s 6 p.m. trade deadline. They dealt reliever Hunter Harvey to the Royals on July 14 for third baseman Cayden Wallace and a draft pick that turned into catcher Caleb Lomativa.
There’s a good chance they are not done dealing. Reliever Dylan Floro, on an expiring contract, could be an attractive option for a contender. Likewise, closer Kyle Finnegan and outfielder Lane Thomas, both under team control through 2025, could be on the move before Tuesday as well.
As for the game, which started after a rain delay of 124 minutes, the decision to pinch-hit for Winker paid dividends. Harold Ramirez hit a two-run double that ignited a seven-run burst that effectively ended the competitive portion of the evening. The Nationals stranded the bases loaded in the previous two innings before Ramirez broke through.
That hit was the first of four in a row surrendered by Matthew Liberatore. Juan Yepez followed with a two-run single before James Wood roped a double to center. Keibert Ruiz followed with a three-run homer to make it 9-0. Ramirez added an RBI single in the Nationals’ four-run ninth.
“It started out as a weird game, I think we left 12 runners on base,” Martinez said. “But we came through in big moments as well. The boys just started working good at-bats, getting the ball in the zone, not chasing and really driving the ball in the gaps.”
In his final night as a National, Winker finished 2 for 3 with an RBI before being pulled.
The Nationals signed Winker to a minor league deal this offseason, hoping that he would return to the all-star form he displayed in 2021. In 2022 with Seattle, Winker struggled at the plate. Last season, he hit .199 in 61 games with the Milwaukee Brewers. But Winker, 30, was one of the Nationals’ most consistent hitters, batting .257, with a .793 OPS. He was tied for second on the team in home runs (11) and third in RBI (45). And he became a clubhouse leader and role model for his younger teammates, specifically shortstop CJ Abrams. Martinez raved about Winker’s energy and preparation.
“I think we all leaned on him a little bit,” said Wood, who went 4 for 4. “It’s tough but we always wish him the best. Not too much of the best, obviously, he’s staying in our division, but yeah, he’s great.”
The Nationals filled this roster this year with bounce-back candidates such as Winker, Joey Gallo Eddie Rosario and Nick Senzel, hoping that any of them could reap a reward. Winker’s renaissance paid dividends. Last year, the Nationals traded infielder Jeimer Candelario to the Chicago Cubs for two prospects, one of which was left-handed pitcher DJ Herz, who is part of Washington’s starting rotation. The Nationals hope the Winker trade can help them bolster their roster in the same fashion.
Winker said this was the first time in his career that his name has been floated at the trade deadline, making it hard for him to compartmentalize baseball and the weight of the rumors. Once Harvey was traded before the break, he understood that he might be traded, too. It didn’t seem to affect him Saturday.
Winker contributed in his final game, delivering a bloop single in the third to put the Nationals up 2-0. Jake Irvin, who cruised through 5⅓ innings, ended his start by yielding a two-run homer to Willson Contreras in the sixth.
Winker now heads up I-95 to the Mets, a division rival which is in the thick of a heated wild card race. And in September, he’ll have a chance to face the former teammates he said goodbye to Saturday night.
“I just hope the guys here take it easy on me,” Winker said, smiling. “Or, there’s a lot of good pitchers here. I just hope they take it easy on me.”
Washington, D.C
Secret Service fatally shoots suspect outside White House checkpoint, bystander wounded
Police and members of the Secret Service block streets around the White House, Saturday, May 23, 2026, in Washington, D.C.
Alex Brandon/AP
hide caption
toggle caption
Alex Brandon/AP
WASHINGTON — A person who approached a White House security checkpoint and began firing at officers has died, according to federal officials.
The U.S. Secret Service said in a statement late Saturday that, according to a preliminary investigation, the person approached a checkpoint shortly after 6 p.m. ET “removed a weapon from his bag and began firing at posted officers.”
Officers returned fire and hit the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital, where he later died, according to the Secret Service.
A bystander was struck, but a law enforcement official said it wasn’t clear whether that person was struck by the suspect’s initial bullets or those fired subsequently by officers.
Secret Service said none of its officers were injured, and that President Donald Trump — who was at the White House at the time — was not “impacted.”
This is a breaking news update. AP’s earlier story follows below.
The U.S. Secret Service shot a person near the White House on Saturday, and a bystander also was shot, a law enforcement official said.
Both individuals were said to be in critical condition, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.
Journalists working at the White House on Saturday reported hearing a series of gunshots and were told to seek shelter inside the press briefing room.
On X, the Secret Service said it was “aware of reports of shots fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW” — one block from the White House — and was “working to corroborate the information with personnel on the ground.” It said it will have an update shortly.
In a social media post, FBI Director Kash Patel said officers were responding to shots fired and said he would “update the public as we’re able.”
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time.
Evidence of the shooting was visible on a sidewalk just outside the White House complex, where yellow crime scene tape snaked across the pavement and officers with the U.S. Secret Service placed dozens of orange evidence markers on the ground. Medical material, including what appeared to be purple surgical gloves and kits typically used by emergency medical personnel, were also seen.
In a post shared on X, ABC News senior White House correspondent Selina Wang shared dramatic video of the moment she said she heard what “sounded like dozens of gunshots” and ducked for cover. Writing that she had been performing a routine task that White House reporters do daily — filming themselves on a cellphone for a social media post — Wang’s video shows her speaking for a few seconds about Trump’s statements earlier Saturday about a potential Iran deal.
As the sounds of gunfire are heard in the background, Wang’s eyes grow wider, and she ducks down in the media tent, which is among those situated in a line along the White House driveway where broadcasters film their reports. On X, Wang’s video had been shared thousands of times as of Saturday evening, and viewed at least 3 million times.
The Metropolitan Police Department said on its X account that the Secret Service was working the scene and cautioned people to avoid the area. The scene is near where a gunman ambushed two members of the West Virginia National Guard last November.
U.S. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from her wounds. Andrew Wolfe, then 24, was critically wounded. Rahmanullah Lakanwal has been charged in that incident.
The gunfire Saturday comes nearly a month after what law enforcement authorities said was an attempted assassination of the president on April 25 as he attended the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at a Washington hotel. Cole Tomas Allen, of Torrance, Calif., recently pleaded not guilty to charges that he attempted to kill Trump and remains in federal custody.
Following that scare, Secret Service officers shot a suspect they said had fired at officers near the Washington Monument, also near the White House. Michael Marx, 45, of Midland, Texas, was charged in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in connection with the May 4 shooting. A teenage bystander was wounded in that incident.
Washington, D.C
Inside Crypto’s Washington Command Center—and Blitz for Legitimacy
Washington, D.C
Violent teen takeovers prompt ramped up security measures as summer officially begins
WASHINGTON (TNND) — From inside a Washington D.C. Chipotle, to Narragansett beach in Rhode Island, and outside Charlotte Beach in Rochester, New York, swarms of violent teen disturbances are taking over cities across the nation. The recent surge in incidents nationwide is now prompting leaders to step in.
Federal, state and local officials have vowed to use every tool at their disposal to curb the teen mayhem and allow businesses to bring in money. That includes increasing law enforcement, scanning social media, and deploying messaging campaigns.
It was simply destruction of property. It was a takeover of a restaurant by individuals who felt like they could get away with it. Well, they’re not going to get away with it,” said Jeanine Pirro, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia.
In response to the Chipotle mayhem in mid-May, Pirro sent a message this week to both teens and their parents.
We will arrest you and where we can, we will prosecute you aggressively and we will prosecute your parents,” Pirro said.
Meanwhile, in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, the mayor spoke out as well. He said the shore town is pulling out all the stops to make sure teens don’t take over this holiday weekend. Vowing to deploy the FBI and SWAT if needed.
We’re going to summons you and summon your parent. This has got to stop. Not only in Seaside, nationwide,” mayor Tommy Vaz told Fox News Digital.
City officials in Long Branch also implemented a curfew and beefed up security after hundreds of young adults illegally took over the pier village area this week. Spreading from the boardwalk to the streets, the violence led to six arrests and over one hundred officers being dispatched to the area. Plus, local officials in Rochester, New York, announced that security changes are being made at Charlotte beach after those large fights broke out over the weekend. Including new lighting and operating hours.
Anyone who engages in this type of violence, in any vandalism, assaults, any criminal activity in county parks, is going to be held accountable for their actions,” said Adam Bello, County Executive of Monroe County.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
Officials in Wildwood, New Jersey, have a curfew in place for anyone under 18-years-old without an adult. The Police Department and Cape May County Prosecutor’s Office have also issued cease-and-desist notices to promoters organizing unsanctioned pop-up parties.
-
Iowa52 seconds agoPumped up: travelers at a unique truck stop in Iowa on ‘ridiculous’ gas prices
-
Kentucky13 minutes agoJohn Cropp Stadium – Kentucky Wildcats
-
Louisiana19 minutes agoLatin Mass is back in the news. But some Louisiana Catholics wonder what’s all the fuss?
-
Maine25 minutes agoHere are Memorial Day 2026 parades, ceremonies in Seacoast NH and Maine
-
Michigan37 minutes agoMichigan Man jumped up and down with store clerk when he won over $300k
-
Massachusetts43 minutes agoIn Massachusetts governor’s race, it’s the economy, stupid. For Healey, it’s abortion, too. – The Boston Globe
-
Minnesota49 minutes agoWhere to watch Minnesota Twins vs Boston Red Sox: TV channel, start time, streaming for May 24
-
Mississippi55 minutes agoMississippi leaders catch TDS because of Bennie Thompson