Connect with us

Texas

Pitching a persistent problem for Texas baseball team in ’embarrassing’ loss to UTRGV

Published

on

Pitching a persistent problem for Texas baseball team in ’embarrassing’ loss to UTRGV


To open his postgame press conference on Tuesday night, Texas coach David Pierce got right to the point.

“At the end of the day, we’re not a very good baseball team at times. Then there’s times where we look like we’re really good. We’re from one spectrum to the other and tonight was just embarrassing,” Pierce said.

Texas issued 20 free passes to UTRGV in a 17-9 loss at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Texas walked 11 batters and the Vaqueros were hit by nine Texas pitches. The UTRGV offense also produced 11 hits, two of which were solo homers by Martin Vazquez.

Advertisement

The 17 runs were the most allowed by Texas since a 31-12 loss at Missouri in 2008. Before Tuesday, UT’s season-high totals for walks was eight. The Longhorns hadn’t hit more than four opponents in a single game in 2024.

In a game that lasted four hours and five minutes, Texas could not solve its pitching problems. One of the 10 pitchers who threw on Tuesday was sophomore Jared Thomas, who is normally UT’s starting first baseman. Texas failed to retire UTRGV in order in any of Tuesday’s nine innings.

“I think we have a huge gap in our mentality,” Pierce said. “We have some guys in our clubhouse that are tough as nails and then we have some guys that are just trying to fit in and trying to figure out in the middle of competition if they’re good enough and they’re just not very confident.

“We’re not even talking about Power Five (competition), we’re talking about college baseball, of not being able to throw strikes. At the end of the day, it’s on me. We’ve got to figure this out because it’s going to be a long rest of the season if we don’t.”

Advertisement

Now 22-16 this season, Texas’ RPI of 67 won’t be helped by Tuesday’s result. Entering Tuesday, UTRGV (18-15) had the No. 250 RPI and that baseball program hadn’t won in Austin since 1968.

The Longhorns will host TCU this weekend in a series featuring the Big 12’s fourth- and 11th-place teams. TCU and Texas were ranked first and second in the conference’s preseason poll.



Source link

Advertisement

Texas

Trial for 9 involved in alleged attack on officers at North Texas ICE facility to start Monday following mistrial

Published

on

Trial for 9 involved in alleged attack on officers at North Texas ICE facility to start Monday following mistrial


A high-profile trial that was over before it began is set for a do-over next week in Fort Worth.

Federal District Judge Mark Pittman ordered a retrial of nine defendants accused in an alleged attack at a U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement detention center in Alvarado, Texas to begin on Monday, Feb. 23.

Jury selection will start at 9 a.m., with opening arguments after 14 jurors and alternates are empaneled.

The rules for the new trial are more restrictive than the first. Neither side will be allowed to question prospective jurors during voir dire; instead they will submit questions to the court and the judge will ask them.

Advertisement

In the first trial, each defense team had ten minutes for opening statements. That has been reduced to eight minutes. Each of their closing arguments can last no more than 12 minutes. The government is allowed 30 minutes for opening statements and 45 minutes for closing arguments.

Pittman said that he is exercising his right to limit those times “in order to prevent unnecessary expense or delay.” When declaring the mistrial on Tuesday, he said the proceedings had already cost hundreds of thousands of tax dollars.

Mistrial during jury selection

Jury selection was underway in the case on Tuesday, when Pittman abruptly sent prospective jurors out of the courtroom. He had noticed that defense attorney MarQuetta Clayton was wearing a T-shirt under her blazer with images of protesters on it. 

Pittman said he saw no choice but to declare a mistrial because there was no way to know how many of the potential jurors had noticed the shirt or had been prejudiced by the shirt. 

When the judge returned from a short recess, he said he had gone over caselaw to see how to rule. He had received word that one of the defense counsel or staff was wearing an anti-ICE lapel pin. No one came forward to admit that.

Advertisement

The judge then called Clayton up to the podium and made a note that she had turned her shirt inside out. He asked her what the graphics portrayed on the shirt, and she said Martin Luther King, Shirley Chisholm, and other civil rights protesters. 

The judge said that the rules of conduct for trial say no graphic tees can be worn. He told the court that clothing cannot be used to sway the jury or provide testimony. 

He said he had considered admonishing potential jurors, but that “there was no way of knowing if you can remove the skunk from the jury box.” 

The judge also said that Clayton had tried to introduce a poster board showing scenes of protest during voir dire without first showing it to the judge or to the prosecution, which is against court rules.

Pittman said he would pursue a show-cause hearing for Clayton after the trial about her violation of the rules of conduct. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Texas

Texas man sentenced to life in prison for starving, beating his 6 children

Published

on

Texas man sentenced to life in prison for starving, beating his 6 children


Photo credit: RICHARD BOUHET/AFP via Getty Images

A 28-year-old Princeton man was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to repeatedly beating and starving his six young children, leaving some with permanent scars and severe malnutrition, authorities said.

What we know:

Advertisement

Kevin Dixon was sentenced on seven counts of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis announced.

District Judge Kim Laseter sentenced Dixon to life in prison on five counts related to physical abuse and 25 years on two counts related to malnourishment. 

Advertisement

Due to a prior felony conviction, Dixon faced a punishment ranging from 15 to 99 years, or life in prison on each count.

What they’re saying:

Authorities said the abuse came to light after the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services contacted the family in February 2025. 

Advertisement

Five of the children, all under age 10 and as young as two, had numerous marks and permanent scars and appeared severely underweight for their ages.

According to officials, the agency had previously warned Dixon in 2021 about failing to provide adequate living conditions and using excessive discipline.

Advertisement

“This father brutally beat and starved his own young children, some toddlers, leaving permanent scars and lasting trauma,” Willis said in a statement. “A tough sentence, like life in prison, is what it takes to protect vulnerable kids and ensure those who inflict such harm face full accountability.”

Local perspective:

After seeing the children’s condition in 2025, officers with the Princeton Police Department opened an investigation. 

Advertisement

The children were interviewed at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Collin County, where they described being deprived of food and repeatedly struck with belts and cords, including one child who was beaten for taking a candy bar.

One detective documented extensive injuries and scarring on the children, including the 2-year-old, officials said.

Advertisement

The backstory:

Dixon, who had a prior 2015 robbery conviction for which he served prison time, pleaded guilty to all seven counts. 

He will serve life sentences on the five counts involving physical abuse and 25-year sentences on the two counts involving malnourishment.

Advertisement

The Source: Information in this article was provided by Collin County officials.

Crime and Public SafetyCollin County



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Texas

North Texas father sentenced to life in prison for beating, starving his 6 young children, officials say

Published

on

North Texas father sentenced to life in prison for beating, starving his 6 young children, officials say


A 28-year-old man will spend the rest of his life in prison for the repeated physical abuse and starvation of his young children, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis announced Wednesday.

Kevin Dixon, of Princeton, was convicted of seven counts of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, according to the Collin County DA’s Office. 

DFPS report leads to investigation

In 2021, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services received a report that Dixon had failed to provide his small children with adequate living conditions, and Dixon was warned against excessive discipline, officials said. 

According to court records, in February 2025, DFPS contacted the Dixon family again and found that five children, who were under the age of 10, including a 2-year-old, had numerous marks and permanent scars on their bodies. DFPS also said the children were severely malnourished, weighing far less than normal for their ages.

Advertisement

After being notified of the children’s condition, the Princeton Police Department launched an investigation.

Police said during an interview at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Collin County, the children detailed the physical abuse and how Dixon wouldn’t feed them and repeatedly beat them with belts and cords.

One child told authorities they were beaten for taking a candy bar.

More evidence revealed at trial

Following his arrest and charges, Dixon pleaded guilty to seven counts of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, the Collin County DA’s Office said. 

During the punishment phase of the hearing, evidence of Dixon’s prior 2015 robbery conviction was presented. Due to his prior felony conviction, Dixon faced between 15 and 99 years or life in prison for his crimes against his children

Advertisement

The Collin County jury sentenced Dixon to life in prison on each of the five counts alleging physical abuse, and 25 years on two counts alleging malnourishment.

In a statement following Dixon’s sentence, Willis said his office will always continue to stand up for children who can’t defend themselves.

“A tough sentence like life in prison is what it takes to protect vulnerable kids and ensure those who inflict such harm face full accountability,” said Willis. 



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending