🏠 News From Your Neighborhood
Miami, FL
Unlicensed contractor arrested after allegedly scamming Miami Catholic school out of $220,000
A Miami‑Dade County man is behind bars after authorities say he stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from a Catholic school for repairs that were never completed.
Nestor Olivares, 50, is charged with grand theft of more than $100,000, organized fraud and operating without a contractor’s license, according to court records. Investigators allege the theft began in 2024 and involved money paid to repair the roof at St. Kevin’s Catholic School.
Court documents show the school paid Olivares more than $220,000 beginning last year for materials and labor to fix the roof. However, prosecutors say no work was ever done.
During a bond court hearing Monday, Olivares appeared before a judge and spoke through an interpreter.
“He doesn’t have a valid contractor license in the state of Florida or Miami‑Dade County,” Judge Mindy Glazer said during the hearing.
According to investigators, Olivares later tried to negotiate with the school after the work failed to materialize.
Court records state he ultimately promised to issue a full refund by Feb. 26, but the school never received a payment.
After his arrest, Olivares told investigators he was unable to repay the full amount at one time, the documents say.
Olivares remains in the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on a $30,150 bond. As a condition of his release, he will be required to prove any money used to post bond comes from a legitimate source.
Miami, FL
Fecal bacteria risk at South Florida beach prompts health warning ahead of busy Memorial Day weekend
It’s going to be a hot and humid Memorial Day weekend across South Florida, but bacteria indicating the possibility of fecal pollution found at a popular Miami-Dade beach prompted a warning from officials to stay out of the water.
The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County released a statement and said the water quality at Crandon Park North in Key Biscayne doesn’t meet the recreational water quality criteria for Enterococcus bacteria, which could indicate fecal pollution.
According to the statement, the tests were completed on Thursday and the bacteria level exceeded the level that has been established by state guidelines.
“DOH-Miami-Dade advises against any water-related activities at this location due to an increased risk of illness in swimmers,” the statement read.
The advisory will remain in place until the bacterial levels fall below the accepted health level.
What is Enterococcus bacteria?
According to the Florida Department of Health, Enterococci are enteric bacteria that normal inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals.
The presence of enteric bacteria “can be an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage.”
In addition, if they are present in high concentrations in recreational waters and ingested or enter through the skin through a cut or sore, they may cause disease, infections or rashes, according to the department.
Current samples taken at Crandon Park South and Crandon Park North – Key Biscayne are both poor, meaning 70.5 or greater Enterococcus per 100 milliliters of marine water were discovered in the samples.
Check out the current samples by clicking here.
Miami, FL
Sister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
The sister of a high-ranking Cuban official is now in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody after she was arrested in Miami on Thursday, the latest move in an escalating pressure campaign against Cuba’s ruling party and its leaders.
A photo released by ICE Homeland Security Investigations shows Adys Lastres Morera being taken away in Miami, with HSI calling her “a deportable lawful permanent resident whose presence poses a threat to the United States and undermines American foreign policy interests.”
Her sister, Ania Guillermina Lastres Morera, is the executive president of GAESA, a business conglomerate operated by the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces.
“They have a private military company named Gaesa who’s sitting on $18 billion of assets, and not a penny of that transfers over to the state budget. Not a penny of that goes over to help the people of Cuba. Not one cent,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Gaesa is a business conglomerate operated by the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces, and it’s even more powerful than the island’s communist party.
GAESA controls hotels, gas stations, supermarkets, currency exchange, marinas, real estate and many more entities on the island.
U.S. officials estimate that GAESA, which is a private company, controls 40% or more of Cuba’s economy.
“GAESA wields such immense power that the Cuban government, the government led by Miguel Díaz-Canel, Manuel Marrero, and others, must ask GAESA for the resources needed to manage the country. And GAESA provides them if it so chooses,” said investigative journalist Mario Penton of Marti Noticias, who focuses on covering Cuba.
In March, Marti Noticias published a report detailing Adys Lastres Morera’s alleged association with investment companies.
“Something that strikes us as particularly noteworthy is that Adys Lastres Morera arrived in the United States in 2023, having been petitioned by her son, U.S. citizen Ernesto Carvajal Lastres,” Penton said. “And immediately thereafter, her name appeared associated as a manager at Santa Elena Investments and Remas Investments, companies dedicated to real estate investments in Florida.”
Penton said shortly after his report became public, everything related to those real estate investment companies was wiped from the internet.
Rubio said he terminated Adys Lastres Morera’s permanent resident status, posting to X, “There will be nowhere on this earth, much less in our country – where foreign nationals who threaten our national security can live lavishly.”
Adys Lastres Morera’s son said over the phone Thursday that he’s in crisis mode, trying to figure out where his mom is and why she was detained.
“I am not entirely clear on how Marco Rubio can have the authority to revoke residency without going through a court process,” he said.
Adys Lastres Morera’s son said he’s a U.S. citizen and has been living in the U.S. for 12 years. He’s currently looking for an attorney who can take his mother’s case.
Miami, FL
Man accused of following woman in his Tesla, exposing himself to her in South Miami
SOUTH MIAMI, Fla. — A 50-year-old man was arrested Wednesday, nearly a week after he followed a woman who had just left a gym in Miami’s Brickell neighborhood and then exposed himself to her while she was stopped at an intersection in South Miami, authorities said.
Leer en español
According to an arrest report from the South Miami Police Department, the victim told police that just after leaving the gym last Friday, she immediately noticed that she was being followed by a gray Tesla Model Y.
“The vehicle continued following the victim southbound on S. Dixie Highway while the driver attempted to gain her attention,” a police officer wrote in the arrest report.
The driver, later identified by police as Rogerio Miranda De Souza, of Pinecrest, was also “brake checking” her “in a manner that could have caused a collision,” the report stated.
Police said the victim was stopped near the intersection of South Dixie Highway and Southwest 70th Street when Miranda De Souza drove extremely close to the driver’s side of her vehicle, at which time she noticed his pants were lowered, exposing his genitals, and he was stroking his penis while making direct eye contact with her.
The victim provided detectives with the vehicle’s license plate number and a physical description of the suspect.
Police said she later identified Miranda De Souza in a photo lineup.
He was arrested Wednesday on a charge of indecent exposure.
As of Thursday morning, Miranda De Souza was being held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on a $1,000 bond.
“Investigators have since learned that a neighboring law enforcement agency is conducting a separate investigation involving the same subject under similar circumstances,” a news release from SMPD stated. “Based on the ongoing investigation and the similarities between the incidents, detectives believe there may be additional victims who have not yet reported their encounters to law enforcement.”
Anyone with information about this investigation, or who believes they may have been victimized by Miranda De Souza is asked to call the South Miami Police Department or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.
Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.
-
News17 minutes agoDrive slower, go electric, don’t drive at all? The best options for saving gas
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoMiley Cyrus to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoGrading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoHeadlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX3 hours agoRanking the top 10 players on the Cowboys’ 2026 roster: #8 Tyler Booker
-
Miami, FL3 hours agoFecal bacteria risk at South Florida beach prompts health warning ahead of busy Memorial Day weekend
-
Boston, MA3 hours agoDorchester shooting leaves young man dead
-
Denver, CO3 hours agoAgency releases claim on $5 million of $7.5 million owed for new Broncos stadium