Connect with us

Miami, FL

Miami Open men’s final between Djokovic and Mensuk delayed more than 5 1/2 hours by rain

Published

on

Miami Open men’s final between Djokovic and Mensuk delayed more than 5 1/2 hours by rain




CBS News Miami

Live

The start of the Miami Open men’s final between Novak Djokovic and unseeded 19-year-old Jakub Mensuk on Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium was delayed 5½ hours from its 3 p.m. start time.

Advertisement

The players didn’t take the court until 8:37 p.m. due to rain and organizers deciding on completing the women’s doubles final.

The South Florida rain began at 12:50 p.m. during the women’s doubles final pitting Mirra Andreeva and Diana Shnaider against Cristina Bucsa and Miyu Kato, with Andreeva and Shnaider leading 3-0 in the first set.

Miami Open Tennis

Fans watch the women’s doubles final match between Cristina Bucsa, of Spain, and Miyu Kato, of Japan, top, and Diana Shnaider and Mirra Andreeva, at the Miami Open tennis tournament, Sunday, March 30, 2025, in Miami Gardens, Fla.

Rebecca Blackwell / AP


The women’s players returned to the court at 5:30 p.m. after the rain stopped and the courts were readied by court-drying machinery. But rain began minutes later before warmups and the umbrella-toting players left the court again.

Advertisement

The women returned to the court an hour later and resumed play at 6:50 p.m. Andreeva and Schnaider went the distance, prevailing in a third-set match tiebreaker 6-3, 6-7 (5), 10-2.

About three-quarters of the fans were still in the stadium. Players were told that the doubles championship ceremony would be abbreviated.

Seeded fourth, the 37-year-old Djokovic was seeking his seventh Miami Open title – which would tie him for the record with Andre Agassi.

Djokovic is also attempting to win his 100th career pro title, which would rank third after Jimmy Connors (109) and Roger Federer (103).

Mensuk, of the Czech Republic, is playing his first ATP 1000 final. He was not quite 2 years old when Djokovic won his first Miami Open title in 2007. Djokovic also won Miami in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 – all coming at the old venue in Key Biscayne.

Advertisement

The age gap of 18 years and 102 days will be the largest in the history of ATP 1000-level final.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Miami, FL

Man charged in deadly hit-and-run crash at Miami bus stop

Published

on

Man charged in deadly hit-and-run crash at Miami bus stop


Man charged in deadly Miami bus stop hit-and-run crash

Advertisement



Man charged in deadly Miami bus stop hit-and-run crash

Advertisement

00:38

A man has been charged in a deadly hit-and-run crash at a Miami bus stop last month which killed one person and injured five others. 

Miami police said Ivan Houston, 53, was behind the wheel of a black Mercedes-Benz that plowed into the bus stop at the intersection of NW 54 Street and NW 17 Avenue on March 22. 

Surveillance video from the Chevron gas station next to the bus stop shows the Mercedes suddenly veering onto the sidewalk, barreling into a group of people at the bus stop and rolling over on impact.

After the crash, which destroyed the bus stop, the driver of the Mercedes took off on foot.  

Advertisement

According to Miami Fire Rescue, when firefighters arrived, they found that a person was trapped inside the Mercedes. They were able to stabilize the vehicle and using hydraulic tools, they got her out. 

She along with four others were taken to the Jackson Memorial Hospital where one of the injured, a 47-year-old woman, died, according to Miami Police. Her family identified her as Patricia Valencia. 

Houston faces a number of charges, including driving without a license causing death and serious injury. 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Miami, FL

Miami beats FSU for in-state OL talent JJ Sparks

Published

on

Miami beats FSU for in-state OL talent JJ Sparks


Miami’s 2026 class continues to build, and the Hurricanes received a commitment from coveted interior offensive lineman JJ Sparks on Tuesday evening. The three-star rated prospect chose the Hurricanes over Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and UCF.

“I like the culture here,” Sparks said after visiting Miami last week. “I love the coaching staff here. Coach [Mario] Cristobal, Coach [Alex] Mirabal, both are great coaches. When you watch how Coach Mirabal coaches, it’s really a different way he coaches. He’s really a teacher. You can kind of see that in the meeting room and on the field.”

Sparks mentioned that FSU and Miami were comparable after he visited Coral Gables,, but the relationship with the coaches ultimately put Miami over the top.

“Just the relationship with the coaches.” Sparks said.

Advertisement

Miami now has eight commitments to its 2026 class: four-star QB Dereon Coleman, four-star running back Javian Mallory, four-star DB Jaelen Waters, four-star LB Jordan Campbell, three-star OL Ben Congdon, three-star OL Joel Ervin, and three-star DB Camdin Portis.

Scouting Report

Big body interior lineman who plays with an edge, looking to finish every play. Shows good feet and quickness, with the ability to mirror and slide in pass protection. Shows off athleticism when pulling and making plays in the open field.

As a starter at Bolles since his freshman year, JJ cemented himself early on as a top interior lineman in Florida. He became an essential player for Coach Mirabal and Coach Cristobal, and they have increased their recruitment of him even more since seeing him on the road in January.

He visited FSU earlier this month and then came down to Miami again with his family in late March. He enjoyed his time on campus with coaches and players! He plays nasty, and Mirabal valued his IQ as a true center.

Advertisement

Talk with Miami fans on Canes Talk, Inside Canes Hoops, and Canes on the Diamond

• Subscribe to the Storm Tracker Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, SoundCloud, and Spotify

• Subscribe to the Canes County YouTube Channel

• Follow us on Twitter: @Canes_County, @BenjaminRivals, @AnthonyYero1, @MichaelYero, @Najitobias, and @AlexDonno

• Follow us on Instagram: @Canes.County

Advertisement

Follow us on Facebook





Source link

Continue Reading

Miami, FL

Miami-Dade commission votes to remove fluoride from drinking water

Published

on

Miami-Dade commission votes to remove fluoride from drinking water



Miami-Dade commission votes to remove fluoride from drinking water – CBS Miami

Advertisement














Advertisement


























Watch CBS News

Advertisement

Morgan Rynor reports the county has been adding fluoride to its water since 1958. The amount they add is significantly less than what the EPA allows.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending