Dallas, TX
Man responds to multi-vehicle crash on I-635 in Dallas by stabbing a person involved
A man is facing charges of aggravated assault after he got into a fight after a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 635, stabbed a bystander, stole vehicles, and struck other drivers on uesday morning in northeast Dallas, according to police.
The crash and assaults shut down the freeway for about four hours and reopened around 11 a.m.
The initial crash was reported at 7:15 a.m. on westbound I-635 near Forest Lane, Star-Telegram media partner, WFAA-TV reported.
All of the westbound main lanes of the highway, including the two shoulder lanes, were blocked off in the area, according to the Texas Department of Transportation.
Angel Zamora Moreno, 26, started fighting one of the other drivers following the crash, Dallas police told WFAA. Another driver in the multi-vehicle crash intervened and attempted to stop the fight when they were stabbed by Moreno, police said.
A TxDOT employee witnessed the crash and also stopped to assist, according to WFAA. Moreno then got into the employee’s vehicle, hit them and crashed, police said.
Another driver witnessed the incident and stopped to help, according to WFAA. Moreno then entered that driver’s vehicle and struck them, authorities told WFAA.
Moreno was arrested and charged with seven counts of aggravated assault, two counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and one count of criminal mischief.
Three people were transported by Dallas Fire-Rescue to the hospital. The driver who was stabbed was in critical condition, police told WFAA. The other two victims were said to be in stable condition.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with video or information of the crash and assaults are asked to contact Dallas Police Detective Marc Tucker at 214-671-3621 or at marctucker@dallaspolice.gov.
Dallas, TX
Dallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five
Dallas police are asking for the public’s help identifying two people seen on video leaving the scene of a shooting in Deep Ellum that injured five people earlier this month.
The shooting happened at 10:23 p.m. on May 5 near Commerce Street and Malcolm X Boulevard, according to the Dallas Police Department.
Police said a man opened fire, shot five people, and fled. Three victims were taken by Dallas Fire-Rescue, and two were taken by private vehicle to a hospital. All were in stable condition.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective L. Kebart at 214-671-3668 or Lauren.Kebart@dallaspolice.gov.
About two hours later, on May 6, a second shooting occurred at Elm Street and North Crowdus Street, killing 26-year-old security guard Joseph Gray. Police said Gray was breaking up a fight when 23-year-old Detorius Tarver opened fire. Tarver was arrested at the scene and charged with murder.
Police shut down Deep Ellum after the second shooting.
CBS News Texas will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Dallas, TX
One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs
The Dallas Cowboys will hold Organized Team Activities (OTAs) starting on June 1 and we would expect there to be some roster moves made after OTAs conclude on June 11.
This will be the first real opportunity we get to see the rookies and veterans on the same practice field, and that might be bad news for one of the Cowboys’ veterans.
That veteran is tight end Luke Schoonmaker, who has been nothing short of a disappointment since being taken with a second-round pick in 2023.
Not only has Schoonmaker not been a consistently good blocker during his career, the 27-year-old hasn’t offered much as a pass-catcher. Excelling in at least one of those areas is key for a depth tight end, yet Schoonmaker isn’t particularly great at either thing.
His play on the field is just one reason why Schoonmaker’s days with the Cowboys could be numbered.
Why Schoonmaker could get cut after OTAs
Along with his disappointing career that has so far spanned three seasons, another reason for Schoonmaker’s bleak outlook in Dallas is his contract situation.
The veteran is entering the final year of his deal and it looks like he is going to need a miracle to have a future with the Cowboys. And, there is an out in Schoonmaker’s contract this year, with the deal having a minimal dead-cap hit of $389,396.
Why would the Cowboys make the decision to cut Schoonmaker before letting him play out the final year of his deal? Well, it’s because of a pair of undrafted free-agent signings.
The more impressive of the two is Baylor product Michael Trigg, who the Cowboys clearly think very highly of after giving him a massive UDFA deal that includes $280,000 guaranteed.
Trigg is intriguing, to say the least. He has elite measurables for a tight end, and he was an explosive playmaker for the Bears, with Trigg going off for nearly 700 yards and six touchdowns in 2025. Head coach Brian Schottenheimer is clearly impressed with him.
“Talk about Michael Trigg first, we’ve all seen the highlight reel catches and things that he did at Baylor — it’s impressive,” the Cowboys head coach said. “You talk about a guy that can stretch the field vertically and make game-changing ‘wow’-type plays attacking the middle of the field. I think that jumps out at you.”
There’s also DJ Rogers, who showed improvement in each of his last three seasons at TCU and culminated his college career with 319 receiving yards and two scores. Schottenheimer is especially a fan of Rogers’ versatility.
“I love the versatility that DJ brings,” Schottenheimer said. “You see him play some Y, some F, some fullback.”
Given the fact the Cowboys added a pair of tight ends after the draft suggests the team isn’t totally content with its current lot.
Getting a chance to see Trigg, Rogers, and Schoonmaker side by side at OTAs might be enough for the Cowboys to decide it just isn’t worth keeping the veteran around, especially because doing so could take key reps away from the rookies. We’ll find out if that is the case in a little under one month.
— Sign up for the Cowboys Daily Digest newsletter for more free coverage from Dallas Cowboys on SI —
Follow
Dallas, TX
Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – APRIL 18: Head Coach Jason Kidd of the Dallas Mavericks reacts against the Memphis Grizzlies during the game of the Play-In Tournament at FedExForum on April 18, 2025 in Memphis, Tennessee. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Justin Ford/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Masai Ujiri is making his presence felt with the Dallas Mavericks already.
The team’s new president parted ways with head coach Jason Kidd, the franchise announced Tuesday evening.
Kidd had four years and more than $40 million remaining on his contract, per ESPN’s Shams Charania.
“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” Ujiri said in a statement. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, his professionalism and his commitment to the team. In my short time here, I’ve developed an enormous amount of respect for what he has built. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”
Kidd, 53, won an NBA championship with the team as a player (2011). He coached the Mavericks for five seasons, taking the team to the Western Conference Finals in 2022 and the NBA Finals in 2024. Dallas finished 26-56 this season.
“As we evaluate the future of our basketball program, we believe this is the right moment for a new direction for our team,” Ujiri said. “We have high expectations for this franchise and a responsibility to build a basketball organization capable of sustained championship contention. We will conduct a thorough, disciplined search for our next head coach and continue to evaluate our entire basketball operations staff to ensure we compete at the standard Mavs fans expect and deserve.”
Former Dallas GM Nico Harrison traded Luka Doncic at the deadline in 2025 in what is considered by many among the worst trades in NBA history, if not the worst.
The Mavericks then proceeded to win the NBA Draft Lottery and earned the right to draft Duke star Cooper Flagg last summer. Flagg, who enjoyed a close relationship with Kidd, went on to win NBA Rookie of the Year honors.
Harrison was fired last November and the Mavericks finished 26-56 this past season while dealing with a slew of injuries, including to Kyrie Irving (ACL) and Dereck Lively II (foot surgery).
The Mavericks own the No. 9 and 30 picks in this summer’s NBA Draft.
-
Finance44 seconds agoClose Brothers accelerating cost cuts as motor finance bill mounts
-
Fitness7 minutes agoMonroe Center hosts Health and Fitness Day for Older Americans Month
-
Movie Reviews19 minutes agoTrain to Busan Director’s New Zombie Movie Draws Bite-Worthy RT Reviews
-
World31 minutes agoVideo: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan
-
News37 minutes agoVideo: G.O.P. May Bear The Cost of Trump’s Unpopularity
-
Culture1 hour agoVideo: The A.I. threat to audiobooks
-
Lifestyle1 hour agoStephen Colbert takes his last bow in late night : Pop Culture Happy Hour
-
Technology2 hours agoIn SpaceX’s IPO, Elon Musk is a risk factor