Connect with us

Rhode Island

Rhode Island lawmakers to consider several firearm bills

Published

on

Rhode Island lawmakers to consider several firearm bills


Rhode Island lawmakers are considering several firearm bills on Wednesday.

The House Judiciary Committee will discuss these bills after two mass shootings happened in the region in just six months.

It’s also been nearly a year since lawmakers banned the sale and manufacturing of assault weapons in Rhode Island.

Some of those Bills include:

Advertisement
  • A ban on buying more than one gun in a 30-day period
  • Requiring anyone looking to possess a firearm excluding police and military, to complete and pass firearm safety training
  • One that would ban people with felony convictions from owning a gun
  • There is also a bill that would make it permissible for students, professors or employees of any public or private university to carry, and possess a stun gun or pepper spray for purposes of self-defense

One that may not be talked about today but has been introduced, a bill that would outright ban the possession of military-style semiautomatic guns.

Second Amendment advocates are expected to don yellow shirts and pack the state house for the hearing to make their voices heard.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Rhode Island

17-year-old sent to hospital after pedestrian crash in Woonsocket

Published

on

17-year-old sent to hospital after pedestrian crash in Woonsocket


The Woonsocket Police Department said a 17-year-old was sent to the hospital after a pedestrian crash on Park Avenue.

The department said the juvenile’s injuries were non-life-threatening.

Comment with Bubbles

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Advertisement

The vehicle involved in the crash fled the scene but was later located and brought to the department for processing, and an individual was being detained.



Source link

Continue Reading

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Foundation invites Newport County residents to free community dinner June 2 – What’s Up Newp

Published

on

Rhode Island Foundation invites Newport County residents to free community dinner June 2 – What’s Up Newp


The Rhode Island Foundation is inviting Newport County residents to share their thoughts about the issues that matter most to them at a free community dinner on Tuesday, June 2.

The event will be held at Innovate Newport, 513 Broadway, from 5 to 7 p.m. It is free and open to the public, but seating is limited. Registration is available at rifoundation.org/togetherri.

“We want to hear what matters most to you. Sharing your perspective will help guide our grantmaking, community engagement and more,” said David N. Cicilline, the Foundation’s president and CEO. “Your input will help us better understand how you see things in your community. These conversations will help us shape our work going forward.”

Participants will share ideas over family-style meals, with the Foundation providing moderators to help guide the conversations, though attendees will drive the discussions.

Advertisement

“We’re giving people the opportunity to talk face-to-face with each other over family-style meals,” Cicilline said. “Bring your ideas for improving your community and the local challenges you’d like to see the Foundation address.”

Three additional gatherings across Rhode Island are scheduled through September, and the public can attend any session regardless of where they live. The complete schedule is posted at rifoundation.org/togetherri.

As part of its “the Rhode Island Foundation in Your Community” initiative, Foundation staff will also be at Innovate Newport from 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. to talk one-on-one with the public about local charitable giving, grantmaking and nonprofit capacity-building opportunities.

Last year, the Foundation awarded $5.2 million in grants to Newport County nonprofits for work in education, health care, economic opportunity, the arts, the environment and housing, among other sectors.

The Rhode Island Foundation is the largest and most comprehensive funder of nonprofit organizations in Rhode Island. More information is available at rifoundation.org.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Rhode Island

Shark season is here. One just popped up in a Rhode Island pond.

Published

on

Shark season is here. One just popped up in a Rhode Island pond.


Local News

Several Rhode Island residents spotted a porbeagle shark, which later beached and died, near Narragansett.

A porbeagle shark became stranded in a few inches of water in Point Judith Pond near Narragansett on Sunday. Ken O’Keeffe via The Boston Globe

As warmer weather arrives in New England, so has its annual crop of shark sightings, as some Rhode Island residents recently found out.

The Atlantic Shark Institute, a local research nonprofit, documented several sightings over the weekend. Those observations led them to a porbeagle shark that beached itself and died Sunday afternoon, the organization said on Facebook.

Advertisement

The first sightings began Saturday afternoon at Salty Brine State Beach in Narragansett. Witnesses said the shark was found wedged in rocks by the breakwater but eventually freed itself and swam in circles, according to Atlantic Shark Institute Executive Director Jon Dodd.

The shark later ended up in the shallow waters of Point Judith Pond and swam towards Billington Cove, where it beached and died the next day. Researchers said they presumed that it was the same shark in both sightings.

Porbeagles aren’t an uncommon sight in New England waters compared to other types of sharks because they prefer colder water, according to Dodd. However, a porbeagle swimming that far into Point Judith Pond is a first for the Atlantic Shark Institute.

Like many sharks, the porbeagle was likely making its way north to follow the colder water as summer approaches and temperatures rise. After it died, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) performed a necropsy and towed it out to sea.

Dodd noted in a statement to Boston.com that the shark never presented a danger to the people who spotted it. In fact, Dodd said, of the near-1,000 shark attacks documented in the International Shark Attack File, only two involved porbeagles, and neither were fatal.

Advertisement

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending