Rhode Island
GoLocalProv | Business | In Just a Week — 2 RI Restaurants and a Top Caterer Announce They Are Closing
Monday, December 01, 2025
PHOTO: File
Whether it is inflation, tariffs, lifecycles, or a souring economy — three different small food businesses have announced their closure in the past week
Hometown Poké and Bubble Tea announced on Sunday on social media that it has closed its East Greenwich location.
“Hey there poke people, you may have heard that we solemnly closed our East Greenwich location this past week. Two years in that beautiful space flew by in a flash. Unfortunately, our sales couldn’t cover the operating costs so we made the difficult decision to close this chapter in our story and move on,” said the company.
GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE — SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
“We are proud of the work we put into the East Greenwich location and the friends we made along the way. We became a general contractor and took an empty office and transformed it into a lovely little poke & bubble tea shop. It was an amazing experience to share our food with the South County community. Thank you to the businesses and customers who have reached out with the kindest words.”
The company’s Providence location remains open.
More Closings
Hometown Poké’s announcement comes after Narragansett burger joint Crazy Burger Cafe & Juice Bar announced on Friday that it had closed.
It won awards and was featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Earlier this fall, it announced it was for sale.
Then, on Friday, it announced on social media:
I am saddened to tell you that Crazy Burger is now closed. We ran out of money before we were able to sell the business so we’re forced to close the doors.
It’s difficult to express the gratitude we’ve had for all your love and support over the last 30 years and we will miss serving you one and all we wish you all the best over the holiday season.
Fire Works Catering owner Mark Garofalo announced on Saturday – that they were closing after 22 years.
The business is a full-service, off-site caterer and describes itself as “committed to providing you with unsurpassed food, value, professionalism, and reliability.”
“After more than 22 years, Steph and I have decided to close the doors to Fire Works Catering at the end of this year,” said Garofalo.
“There are too many people to name here that have worked for or with us to make it the success that it was,” he continued. “But please know that I thank you from the bottom of my heart and sincerely have enjoyed working with you over the years.
“Our last day will be December 31st. I have no plans yet but I do have some irons in the fire,” Garofalo added. “I’ll keep you all up to date as soon as I have more news.”
Related Articles
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Rhode Island
Rhode Island 18-year-old arrested in beach stabbing as hundreds of teens packed area
A Rhode Island teenager who was out on bail for a gun charge was charged Friday in connection with the stabbing of three people as hundreds of teens crowded the beach
Willy Medina, 18, was identified as a suspect in the stabbing that broke out at Narragansett Town Beach just after 3 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Narragansett Police Department.
Medina is accused of slashing three beachgoers as the rowdy crowd went into a frenzy, according to video obtained by WJAR.
The three victims were hospitalized with minor stab wounds.
The Rhode Island State Police Violent Fugitive Task Force arrested Medina in his hometown of Pawtucket and charged him on one count of felony assault, Chief Kyle Rekas said.
Medina was arraigned Friday in the 4th District Court and held on a bail violator. He was also ordered to have no contact with minors, WPRI reported.
Officials did not release a motive in the stabbing, as the investigation is ongoing.
Medina was out on bail at the time for a shooting in Pawtucket back in April.
Police allege Medina and another 18-year-old were part of a larger crowd when a disturbance broke out and a gunshot was fired off, striking a parked car, according to WJAR.
Medina was charged with carrying a pistol without a license, firing in a compact area, vandalism and disorderly conduct.
In the aftermath of Tuesday’s stabbings, Narragansett Police arrested two men in the public beach’s parking lot on charges of simple assault, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and obstruction of justice.
Hours before the stabbing, 20 miles away in Middletown, RI, approximately 1,200 teens overran Second Beach on the Sachuest Bay, the Middletown police said.
Several people between the ages of 17 and 19 were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and obstructing an officer.
Ronan Pinkham, an 18-year-old from Massachusetts, was arrested after he allegedly struck a Newport police officer with his car in the parking lot as he attempted to flee.
Pinkman admitted to driving under the influence before he was arrested and charged with felony assault and DUI.
Illegal teen takeovers have plagued popular shopping centers and beaches in several states in the weeks leading up to Memorial Day Weekend.
Several hundred teens and young adults illegally took over a popular boardwalk in Long Branch, New Jersey, on Tuesday, leading to several arrests of out-of-towners.
Police in Delaware arrested four Delaware State University students for leading a booze-fueled takeover of Rehoboth Beach that prompted a heavy police presence in the popular Atlantic town.
Xander Nicholl, 19, Angelin Clauvil, 21, Eric Barnett, 21, and 22-year-old Keyon Scott are all facing charges relating to facilitating a riot, as well as conspiracy in the second degree.
Rhode Island
Remains identified as World War II pilot from Rhode Island
The Defense of POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced on Friday that a U.S. Army Air Force pilot from Rhode Island killed in World War II was located.
The agency said 2nd Lt. Robert J. Barrat, 20, of Woonsocket, was accounted for on April 30.
According to the organization, Barrat piloted a B-17G “Flying Fortress” bomber in 1945.
On Feb. 9,1945, witnesses reported seeing his aircraft collide with another aircraft during a bombing mission to Lutzkendorf, Germany.
The aircraft was then seen hitting the ground, killing eight of the 9 crew members onboard.
After the end of World War II, the American Graves Registrations Command began working to recover missing American personnel in Europe.
In 1947, members recovered eight sets of remains from marked burials in the Eisenberg Civilian Cemetery.
The remains were transferred to the Central Processing Point at Neuville-en-Condroz, Belgium for analysis.
Members identified two sets of remains. The remaining six were identified as the collective remains of Barrat and five of his crew members.
The remains were then buried at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.
In Oct. 1991, a German citizen reported finding the crash site and recovered debris from the aircraft, including two inscribed rings.
The debris was turned over to the U.S. Army Memorial Affairs Activity Europe in Landstuhl, Germany and then to the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii.
In 2024, the remains were re-examined for further analysis.
Scientists said they used anthropological analysis and mitochondrial DNA analysis to identify Barrat’s remains.
According to the University of Rhode Island, he attended Rhode Island State College (RISC) in Sept. 1941 with the class of 1945.
Barrat left college during his second year and enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force in Nov. 1942.
He was posthumously cited for Gallantry in Action and Bravery and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Barrat will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Alexandria, Virginia, on May 27.
Rhode Island
17-year-old sent to hospital after pedestrian crash in Woonsocket
WOONSOCKET, R.I. (WJAR) — The Woonsocket Police Department said a 17-year-old was sent to the hospital after a pedestrian crash on Park Avenue.
The department said the juvenile’s injuries were non-life-threatening.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
The vehicle involved in the crash fled the scene but was later located and brought to the department for processing, and an individual was being detained.
-
World3 minutes agoChina deployed over 100 vessels near Taiwan in the wake of Trump-Xi summit, Taiwan security official claims
-
Politics9 minutes agoRFK Jr announces ‘largest autism fraud bust in American history’ with $46.6M Medicaid scheme indictment
-
Health15 minutes agoHow pneumonia progresses to sepsis: Doctors explain after Kyle Busch’s death
-
Sports21 minutes agoWho Are The 10 Best Indy 500 Drivers Of All time?
-
Technology27 minutes agoRobot mower flaw could open your home network
-
Business33 minutes agoLos Angeles hotels are still waiting for a surge in demand from the World Cup
-
Entertainment39 minutes agoRob Base, rapper known for ‘It Takes Two,’ dies at 59
-
Lifestyle45 minutes agoAt SoCal newest children’s museum, kids can dig for mammoth bones or face a giant Lite-Brite