Connect with us

New Jersey

With no rain in the forecast, N.J. officials are wary of wildfires as the season hits its peak

Published

on

With no rain in the forecast, N.J. officials are wary of wildfires as the season hits its peak


Spring may green New Jersey’s forests, but it also primes them for wildfires and state officials are watching to see if it flares into another intense season.

“We are anticipating another active fire year,” Greg McLaughlin, the state’s Administrator for Forests and Natural Lands, said Tuesday at a press briefing on the wildfire season.

New Jersey Forest Fire Service Chief William Donnelly said officials can’t predict how bad this wildfire season will be, but it typically peaks from mid-March through mid-May.

So far, it has been mild compared to 2025.

Advertisement

To date this year, 201 wildfires have been reported, burning through 154 acres, Donnelly said.

By this time in 2025, the state had already experienced 537 wildfires, including the massive Jones Road Wildfire that burned 15,000 acres in Ocean County and took 20 days to contain.

In all, 1,322 wildfires burned through 27,230 acres in 2025.

In a typical year, 1,100 wildfires will burn 5,000 acres.

Wildfire season is growing

Advertisement

Spring is prime time for fires because there are so few leaves on trees, which contain moisture that can slow the spread of a blaze. At the same time, low humidity and dry air masses tend to dominate with strong wind gusts.

This past winter was marked by snow cover that helped suppress fires, kept people inside. People are the number one cause of wildfires.

Donnelly said the length of wildfire season is increasing in the state.

He cited a 2025 analysis by the research nonprofit Climate Central found the number of annual wildfire weather days has increased over the past 50 years by 11 days in the northern part of New Jersey and five days in the southern.

“Despite the snow we had over the winter, the forest remains dry, and the risk is real,” Donnelly said. “Ultimately, Mother Nature will have the final say on what this spring fire season will hold.”

Advertisement

Donnelly noted that the forecast is calling for little or no rain for the next week or longer.

Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties were listed as in moderate drought by the U.S. Drought Monitor before Sunday’s rain. Most of the rest of the state was listed as abnormally dry. The U.S. Drought Monitor, a joint effort of the federal government and University of Nebraska-Lincoln, produces a map each Thursday.

Fire officials say the state’s first new fire tower in 78 years will help monitor hot spots in Ocean County. Veterans Tower in Jackson, Ocean County, is 133 feet tall and designed to act as a sentinel for 516,000 residents and 200,000 homes.

Pinelands at risk

New Jersey is more prone to wildfire than some other states because of its vast tracts of unbroken forest, such as in the 1.1 million-acre Pinelands regions.

Advertisement

Pinelands soils are acidic and forest debris accumulates without readily decomposing. The highly permeable acidic soils in the Pinelands also have a low capacity to hold water, often resulting in dry soil.

Highly flammable pitch pine thrive under those conditions. Together, the presence of highly flammable vegetation, accumulation of dry leaves and branches, and dry soil conditions make the area a tinder box.

Not only that, but pitch pines have adapted to the environment and depend on periodic wildfires to release seeds for reproduction.

New Jersey fire officials use controlled burns in winter to get rid of tinder that’s built up on the forest floor. They use handheld torches to set smaller fires to burn away fallen leaves, pine needles, fallen branches and other debris.

But they are limited at times because of weather, especially during droughts. Normally, they target 20,000 to 25,000 a year. After a long drought in 2024, fire crews were only able to complete about 4,000 acres, the lowest amount in 25 years.

Advertisement

This year, only about 8,600 acres have gotten controlled burns due to snow.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

New Jersey

Mamdani’s $50 World Cup ticket lottery fuels feud with N.J.

Published

on

Mamdani’s  World Cup ticket lottery fuels feud with N.J.


New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani proudly announced a deal Thursday that will allow residents of NYC — and only NYC — to buy 1,000 World Cup tickets for $50 each. And before he even finished his news conference, New Jersey officials made it clear what they thought of an arrangement that leaves them out.

“FIFA not caring about costs for New Jersey residents isn’t new,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesperson for N.J. Gov. Mikie Sherrill. “This is just another reason why Governor Sherrill is working hard to lower costs on our own.”

Officials in both states told ESPN that they see the deal as a reward to Mamdani for wooing FIFA and the New York-New Jersey Host Committee, while Sherrill is essentially being punished for her criticisms of both since taking office in January.

The perception that New York is the favored child seems to be a source of pride for both states.

One New Jersey official said the Garden State will soon be offering its own discounted ticket program, but with the support of corporate sponsors, not the host committee or FIFA.

A spokesperson for Mamdani declined comment on the dynamic. Under the deal Mamdani announced Thursday morning, the tickets are coming from the host committee’s own allotment, which were purchased from FIFA at face value.

Two sources familiar with negotiations said the deal needed FIFA’s approval, and that Mamdani had worked with FIFA president Gianni Infantino since March to get it.

Advertisement

“We are making sure that working people will not be priced out of the game that they helped to create,” Mamdani told reporters.

Two New Jersey members of Congress, Democrats Nellie Pou, who represents the district where the stadium is, and Frank Pallone Jr., said they aren’t happy with the deal. They sent a letter to FIFA two weeks ago asking for explanations about FIFA’s ticket policies, which they called “opaque” and “potentially deceptive.”

“This publicity stunt does nothing to address the cost of tickets,” they said in a joint statement Thursday. “One thousand tickets spread over seven games, by our math, amounts to 0.17% of available tickets for those games. FIFA must respond to our inquiry on their questionable ticketing practices and take broader measures now, right now, to lower ticket prices for all the fans. Time is running very short for real action.”

A FIFA source said the deal was between the host committee and Mamdani’s office.

“FIFA was only involved to the extent that it wanted to make sure the discounted tickets went to fans who genuinely planned to attend the games and be in the stadium,” the source said, which the parties satisfied by saying fans won’t get their tickets until they board a bus to the games.

Advertisement

A source with direct knowledge of World Cup planning conversations said the host committee doesn’t agree that anyone is playing favorites.

“In terms of what the asks have been, it’s been different for both sides of the river, but it’s not a reflection of the relationship between the host committee and either side,” the source said. “The host committee is working with the governor’s office and the mayor’s office daily and they just have different priorities. Mamdani ran on this affordability campaign and today he fulfilled a campaign promise.”

For Mamdani’s administration, the deal is a sign that the mayor has been engaged with Infantino with the same patient, head-down diplomacy that led to his surprisingly cordial meetings with President Donald Trump in November and February.

For Sherrill, the alleged slight to New Jersey is the price of a governor standing up against a deal she thought was bad for her state.

Sherrill has been clear that she is not pleased with the deal her administration inherited from the previous governor, fellow Democrat Phil Murphy, whose wife, Tammy, is the chair of the host committee’s board of directors. Sherrill said the original deal signed by then-Gov. Murphy left New Jersey residents with too much of the cost of transportation and security.

Advertisement

In his statement on Sherrill’s behalf, Sigmund trumpeted steps she has taken, “including securing $3.6 million to discount tickets for NJ Transit riders whose commutes are impacted by the World Cup games, and why we are maximizing the economic benefits and excitement of the games throughout the State.”

Soon after taking office, Sherrill canceled the planned fanfest in Liberty State Park, in part because she felt the event would be more accessible to New Yorkers arriving by boat than New Jersey drivers negotiating what can be brutal traffic to the park, as ESPN recently reported. Instead, she announced that the state would reallocate $5 million for the fanfest to a series of community-based events around the state.

Sherrill’s administration also raised the cost of a round trip from Manhattan’s Penn Station to $98 dollars on game days, drawing the ire of New Yorkers and international fans. Sherrill has said the burden for an estimated $48 million in additional transit costs should be borne by visitors, not New Jersey residents.

Under the ticket program announced Thursday, New Yorkers will be able to register for a drawing that will take place Monday morning. The 1,000 tickets will be spread over the seven games leading up to the final, which will also be played in New Jersey. The city will provide free bus transportation for those fans.

As of Thursday morning, the cheapest tickets available for New York-New Jersey through FIFA’s last-minute direct sales website were $1,550 to see Norway play Senegal in the group stage. There are more affordable tickets available on the FIFA Marketplace — the governing body’s resale site — where a seat for Norway-Senegal can be purchased for under $400.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

NJ Transit Memorial Day weekend schedules and discounts offered

Published

on

NJ Transit Memorial Day weekend schedules and discounts offered



Two-minute read

play

  • NJ Transit is offering deals and increasing services for the Memorial Day weekend.
  • The Family SuperSaver Fare allows two children 11 and under to ride free with a paying adult.
  • Rail, light rail, and bus services will operate on modified schedules throughout the holiday weekend.

Want to save on gas and avoid Memorial Day weekend traffic? NJ Transit is offering deals and increasing services on certain trains and buses.

With the Family SuperSaver Fare, two kids 11 and under can ride for free with each fare-paying adult. The program, which is valid every weekend, is extended to accommodate early getaways this Memorial Day weekend. It begins Friday, May 22 at 7 p.m. and ends Tuesday, May 26 at 6 a.m. 

Rail, light rail and buses will operate on a modified schedule. 

Advertisement

Rail

Extra outbound trains on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris and Essex and Port Jervis lines will run on Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. After 4 p.m., certain Northeast Corridor, New Jersey Coast and Raritan Valley lines will be canceled or combined, according to an NJ Transit press release. 

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, trains will run on a regular weekend schedule. The Bay Head-Long Branch shuttle will increase to hourly services from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

Buses

On Friday starting at 12 p.m., certain bus routes will run extra buses from Port Authority Bus Terminal, while other routes will be cancelled. 

Advertisement

The full list of holiday weekend modifications can be found by visiting NJ Transit’s Holiday Service Guide: njtransit.com/holiday-service-guide.

On Saturday and Sunday, buses will operate on regular weekend schedules, but on Monday, bus schedules will vary in accordance with the Holiday Service Guide. NJ Transit advises passengers that routes will be subjected to detours and delays due to Memorial Day parades happening in different municipalities.  

Light rail

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will run on a weekend schedule from Saturday to Monday. 

Advertisement

The Newark Light Rail will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Saturday schedule on Monday.

The River Line will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Sunday schedule on Monday.

NJ Transit encourages travelers to check timetables in advance and to plan extra time for traveling. 

Real time bus and train departures can be tracked on NJ Transit’s app. Notifications for delays can be found on X, formerly known as Twitter. 

Olivia Liu is a reporter covering transportation, Red Bank and western Monmouth County. She can be reached at oliu@gannett.com.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

Anyone have earthquake FOMO after small tremor hit NJ on Tuesday?

Published

on

Anyone have earthquake FOMO after small tremor hit NJ on Tuesday?


A small earthquake hit New Jersey Tuesday afternoon and I knew nothing. It happened about 1:30pm when a magnitude 1.8 tremor centered around a mile southeast of Long Valley in Washington Township hit a little over 3 miles below ground. That’s in Morris County.

It shook some buildings there, and the U. S. Geological Survey received 55 reports from folks in Morris County, Hunterdon County, Somerset County, and Essex County.

Map shows where earthquake was centered on Tuesday. May 19, 2026

Map shows where earthquake was centered on Tuesday. May 19, 2026 (USGS)

Where I was in Mercer County? Nothing. Squat. Nada.

To be honest, the only one I ever felt in New Jersey was several years ago. It was April 5, 2024 when a 4.8 quake hit Tewksbury, New Jersey and was felt from Virginia to Maine. But for being felt so far and wide it did very little actual damage.

Advertisement

I was living in Flemington at the time and was on the second floor of my home when it struck at 10:23 in the morning. It felt like both a jarring and swaying simultaneously almost as if a truck had hit the house.

Mario Tama | Staff | Getty Images

Mario Tama | Staff | Getty Images

Now that was exciting. It was the talk of the day. I felt part of something. A communal experience.

Years before a quake hit New Jersey when I was inside the radio station and it was the opposite experience. The part of the building I was in felt nothing. Zero. But the other end of the building? Everyone felt it.

Co-workers ran around excitedly asking each other if they felt it, was it a quake, etc.. Simply put, it was a party I wasn’t invited to.

As has been every other New Jersey quake. Talk about fear of missing out. Even in 1994 when I had been living in Southern California and the great Northridge quake hit, I had just moved out a scant number of days before taking a job in Jersey.

Advertisement

George Frey | Stringer | Getty Images

George Frey | Stringer | Getty Images

I missed that excitement too. But probably for the better, I admit, because it was a 6.7 that killed 60 people and injured thousands. Numerous buildings were destroyed or damaged to the tune of billions of dollars.

As scary as that is, and as lucky as I was to have missed it by just a week, there was still this feeling of a monumental community event that I was cut off from. Again, FOMO.

I should feel happy to have missed it, but don’t we all crave drama just a little? Be careful what we wish for I suppose.

Don’t get fooled: Here’s 25 scam texts I received in just one month

Yes, some of these may be humorous, but some do appear legit and often can fool you.

Advertisement

Spam texts are listed in the same order that they were received.

Gallery Credit: Mike Brant

Opinions expressed in the post above are those of New Jersey 101.5 talk show host Jeff Deminski only.

Report a correction 👈

POP QUIZ: Can you guess these NJ landmarks from Google Earth images?

Gallery Credit: Dan Zarrow

Advertisement

A tornado’s rapidly approaching – what should you do?

Gallery Credit: Sophia Laico





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending