Connect with us

Massachusetts

Nibi the beaver ordered released into wild; Massachusetts rescue group

Published

on

Nibi the beaver ordered released into wild; Massachusetts rescue group


CHELMSFORD – A wildlife rescue group and its supporters are protesting a decision by authorities to release “Nibi” the beaver back into the wild, potentially as soon as Tuesday.

For the past two years, Nibi has been at Newhouse Wildlife Rescue in Chelmsford. The organization found the orphaned beaver and took her in when she was very young.

Since then, she’s been a hit on social media.

“So many people have fallen in love with Nibi,” Jane Newhouse tells WBZ-TV.

Advertisement

MassWildlife says it’s time for Nibi the beaver to be released

But now MassWildlife says it’s time to Nibi to return to nature, saying in a statement that “wild animals like this one belong in the wild.”

“The role of licensed wildlife rehabilitators is to care for sick and injured wildlife so that animals can be released back into the wild as soon as possible,” MassWildlife said. “Newhouse Wildlife Rescue was informed in June that the beaver is healthy and must be returned to the wild, in accordance with their permit and state regulations.”

Newhouse worries that the decision will cost the beaver her life. She said Nibi wanted nothing to do with other orphaned beavers brought to the facility, and could not be conditioned to survive in the wild.

“We tried to make Nibi releasable,” Newhouse said. “The goal for any wildlife rehabilitator is to acclimate these animals to the wild.”

MassWildlife has officially denied Nibi as an educational beaver. They want her released as soon as possible. We are all heartbroken but have no control over this situation. I am devastated….

Posted by Newhouse Wildlife Rescue on Monday, September 30, 2024

Advertisement

MassWildlife says this is an appropriate time to release a beaver into the wild, but Newhouse wants to at least wait until spring. She fears Nibi won’t be able to make a den and dam and store food for the winter.

“Heartbroken over all of it”

A request to make Nibi an educational beaver and let her stay at the rescue was denied, Newhouse said.

“I’m heartbroken over all of it, to be honest with you,” Newhouse said.

MassWildlife says the beaver will be released in a suitable habitat away from people.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Massachusetts

Massachusetts fired its elder affairs chief. Now she’s taking the state to court. – The Boston Globe

Published

on

Massachusetts fired its elder affairs chief. Now she’s taking the state to court. – The Boston Globe


The civil suit against the state Executive Office of Health and Human Services and Kate Walsh, the state’s former health secretary alleges racial discrimination, retaliation, coercion, intimidation, and threats. Other named defendants are Christopher Harding, the agency’s chief of staff, and Sonia Bryan, director of human resources.

A spokesperson for HHS said Wednesday that the agency cannot comment on pending litigation.

Walsh did not respond to a request for comment. Walsh left HHS in July 2025.

Chen was appointed to lead elder affairs during the Charlie Baker administration. Turnover in top executive positions isn’t unusual when a new administration begins, but the suit notes that the only other HHS department or office head removed near the start of Healey’s administration, Mary Truong, who led the Office for Refugees and Immigrants, was also Asian.

Advertisement

Truong, who stayed with ORI in a subordinate position for several months, said in an interview Wednesday she did feel mistreated but was not certain that her race played any role. She noted that her interactions with Walsh were generally positive and HHS leadership never questioned her performance, saying only the migrant crisis in Massachusetts at the time meant ORI required leadership with more experience with issues related to homelessness.

“I feel so bad for her,” Truong said of Chen. “She was very outspoken and she was respected for her position and she was hard working.”

Mary Truong is photographed in her office on Washington Street on Jun. 12, 2018.Jonathan Wiggs/Globe Staff

Chen emigrated to the United States from Taiwan in 1971. The lawsuit noted she still recalled being called racial slurs after being bused to a predominantly white neighborhood in 1974.

Before leading elder affairs, she worked as an assistant commissioner in the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, served as president and trustee of the New England College of Optometry and New England Eye Institute, and president and chief executive of the biotech companies Circe Biomedical and Marathon Biopharmaceuticals. Chen was paid $146,623 last year, according to state records.

The lawsuit detailed how Chen’s deteriorating situation at the Executive Office of Health and Human Services began with a meeting that sparked concerns about discrimination and ended with Chen’s dismissal, despite efforts to meet Walsh’s performance standards.

Advertisement

The lawsuit lays out the sequence of events.

In a November 2023 meeting, Walsh raised serious concerns about Chen, saying she had excellent academic credentials but lacked sufficient leadership qualities for a job that was “too big” for her, criticisms the suit claims echo stereotypes about people of Asian descent. Walsh listed concerns about Chen’s performance, including elder affairs’ worker turnover and staffing, criticisms from former employees, and negative feedback from a legislator. Chen felt many of the criticisms were misplaced or inaccurate, but she agreed to professional coaching with the understanding that completing it successfully could allow her to keep her job.

The suit noted that meeting happened shortly after Walsh and Chen attended an event at a senior center in Boston’s Chinatown where Chen spoke Cantonese and Mandarin and was warmly received.

Through the first months of 2024, HHS executives assured Chen that she would be given the opportunity to show improvement, and that requiring coaching was not a disciplinary act.

It concerned Chen, though, that she was subjected to a comprehensive performance review, something no other HHS department head had received at that time, the suit states.

Advertisement

Still, Chen received assurances from Harding, the chief of staff, that if Walsh wanted her gone, she would have fired her in November 2023.

The coaching ended in April 2024 with a roadmap for improvement, which included benchmarks for Chen to meet. Shortly after, though, Walsh told Chen she was being let go.

In the month that followed, Chen attempted to get an explanation for why she was not given a chance to meet the standards in the improvement plan. She wrote a letter to Walsh stating that she felt she was “torn down” for being an Asian woman in a position of leadership, and noted a lack of direct communication and clear planning.

“When we talked in November, you should have been direct about your plan,” Chen wrote, according to a passage from the letter included in the lawsuit. “Instead, you were vague and presented mixed messages and questioned my competence and leadership.”

Chen was shocked when the secretary abruptly altered one of the terms of departure Chen expected at a meeting in May.

Advertisement

Chen left the elder affairs job on June 1, 2024.

The suit states HHS has also made it difficult for Chen to obtain public records requested for her defense, something subject to a second lawsuit from Chen.

The state’s elder affairs office, now called the Executive Office of Aging and Independence, serves roughly 1.7 million seniors, according to the most recent annual report, and is now led by Robin Lipson. Its services are in growing demand as Massachusetts’ population ages. The agency contracts with 24 regional Aging Services Access Points, nonprofits that offer services including meal delivery and home care. The office also oversees assisted-living facilities, home care, and supports people caring for elderly relatives.


Jason Laughlin can be reached at jason.laughlin@globe.com. Follow him @jasmlaughlin.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Massachusetts

JPMorgan Chase to open eight new branches in Massachusetts this year – The Boston Globe

Published

on

JPMorgan Chase to open eight new branches in Massachusetts this year – The Boston Globe


JPMorgan Chase is doubling down on its branch expansion strategy again, bucking the banking industry’s consolidation trends by unveiling plans on Wednesday to open more than 160 Chase locations this year, including eight in Massachusetts.

The New York-based financial services giant had no Chase branches in Massachusetts (or in several other New England states) before launching an aggressive rollout here — along with the Philadelphia and Washington metro areas — that began nearly eight years ago.

Chief executive Jamie Dimon has been pursuing an unusual strategy for growth, particularly amid the rapid rise of mobile banking. While banks sometimes open new standalone branches, most of their branch network growth typically occurs through acquiring smaller banks. But JPMorgan is boxed in by federal regulators because it holds at least 10 percent of the country’s deposits; exceptions are allowed when acquiring a struggling or failing bank, as happened when JPMorgan picked up much of First Republic in 2023.

By the end of 2026, Chase will have 100 branches across Massachusetts, around the same number as Eastern Bank. The new ones in Greater Boston will include 250 Cambridge St. (Beacon Hill) and 6 Francis St. (Longwood) in Boston, 146 Church St. in Pembroke, 180 Main St. in Saugus, and 108 Main St. in Medway, according to a list provided by a bank spokesperson. Other branches are planned in Clinton, Springfield, and South Attleboro.

Advertisement

This is in line with growth plans for Massachusetts that JPMorgan Chase announced two years ago, when it increased its ultimate goal for the state to have around 110 branches here.

JPMorgan billed the 2026 rollout as a multibillion-dollar investment, a figure that includes the cost of the 160-plus new branches across 30 states and 600 branch renovations. The rollout will require the bank to hire 1,100 new employees; Chase branches are typically staffed by eight to 10 people.

Dimon has made it clear he wanted Chase to be the first bank with branches across all 48 contiguous states, a milestone he achieved in 2021.

In 2018, during a visit to Boston, Dimon said he would not be satisfied until his bank was among Boston’s top three banks. He’s made considerable progress toward that goal after starting with almost no market share. With the recent merger of Brookline Bank and Berkshire Bank, Chase moves into eighth place in the city and 14th in the metro area.

However, it’s still well behind market leaders Bank of America, Citizens Bank, and Santander Bank. In mid-2022, before the First Republic acquisition, Chase had $1.9 billion in deposits in the Boston metro area, while First Republic had $18 billion; as of mid-2025, Chase’s number in the region had grown to $4 billion, according to federal banking data. Many First Republic customers stayed, but many big accounts left as well amid the 2023 turmoil, and Chase returned to its growth strategy of adding more customers, branch by new branch.

Advertisement

Jon Chesto can be reached at jon.chesto@globe.com. Follow him @jonchesto.





Source link

Continue Reading

Massachusetts

Massachusetts police officer placed on leave after alleged fatal hit-and-run that killed 23-year-old

Published

on

Massachusetts police officer placed on leave after alleged fatal hit-and-run that killed 23-year-old


BROCKTON – A Massachusetts police officer was arraigned today in Brockton District Court following a fatal hit-and-run the previous day, where he is accused of striking and killing a pedestrian, according to Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy JCruz.

36-year-old Thomas Hayes faces charges of Motor Vehicle Homicide and Leaving the Scene of an Accident Following Personal Injury or Death. He was ordered held on $15,000 cash bail and prohibited from operating any motor vehicles as a condition of his release.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours, when Brockton Police received reports of an unresponsive man lying in a snowbank near the intersection of Battles and Cross Streets. First responders transported the victim to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. He has been identified as 23-year-old Alfredo Alves.

In the hours after the crash, a witness voluntarily contacted the Brockton Police Department and reported being a passenger in the vehicle that struck Alves. The witness identified Hayes as the driver of a 2022 Ford Explorer involved in the collision. The witness, along with another passenger who also spoke with investigators, described damage to the vehicle—including a shattered windshield—consistent with the impact.

Advertisement

Law enforcement located a Ford Explorer matching the description, with visible damage, in Hayes’ driveway at his Hanover residence. Surveillance footage recovered from Brockton showed Hayes operating the Ford Explorer shortly before the fatal crash. Police arrested Hayes at his home without incident.

According to WCVB, Hayes is a Hanover police officer who was off duty at the time and has been placed on administrative leave.

CBS Boston noted that police said they noticed a strong odor of alcohol when they took Hayes into custody.

Hayes is scheduled to appear in court again on March 31.

Advertisement

The investigation, led by Massachusetts State Police and Brockton Police, remains active and ongoing.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending