Maine
New trial begins for Maine man in death of 3-year-old Edgecomb girl
BATH, Maine (WGME) — A new trial began on Tuesday for a Maine man accused of killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter in Edgecomb.
Tyler Witham-Jordan is charged with depraved indifference murder for the death of Makinzlee Handrahan.
On Christmas morning in 2022, Handrahan’s mother, Faith Lewis, called 911 around 7:30 a.m. after finding her daughter cold, stiff, bruised, and not breathing.
Dispatchers said they heard the girl’s mother say, “Oh my god, I think my daughter’s dead.”
A photo of 3-year-old Makinzlee Handrahan is shown during{ }Tyler Witham-Jordan’s trial. Witham-Jordan is accused of killing Handrahan in 2022 in Edgecomb. (WGME)
Her boyfriend, later identified as Witham-Jordan, could be heard saying, “I’m f—-d” and “I’m finished.”
First responders said they found bruises all over the little girl’s body.
The medical examiner ruled her cause of death blunt force trauma and said she had internal injuries.
According to court documents, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said there was a DHHS investigation in October 2022 after Handrahan’s daycare reported she had a scratch and bruises, which her mother and Witham-Jordan said were caused by a cat scratch and falling on the stairs. Investigators said there was also purple swelling under her eye at the time.
Police said Witham-Jordan was still living with Handrahan and her mother months later when she was found dead on Christmas.
Witham-Jordan’s first trial began in December 2024.
During the trial, the state claimed Witham-Jordan had been agitated that the child had been sick around the holiday and was looking to get high.
“All 27 pounds of her was killed, quietly and discreetly. No one heard her die,” state prosecutor Lia Bogue said. “He wanted to get together with his connection on Christmas Eve because he needed more drugs.”
Both sides focused on early morning texts between Witham-Jordan and Lewis about checking on her, because she had been in bed for hours.
The apartment complex off Route 1 in Edgecomb where 3-year-old Makinzlee Handrahan lived. She died on Christmas Day 2022. Her death has been ruled a homicide. (WGME)
Defense attorney Jim Howaniec said the state didn’t have evidence that Witham-Jordan committed the crime.
Attorneys gave theories about DNA evidence at the scene, including on a comb with a “huge” clump of the child’s hair found in the bathroom. The defense accused Lewis of committing the murder instead.
However, Witham-Jordan’s first trial ended in a mistrial after Handrahan’s mother was shown her daughter’s battered body and cried out at Witham-Jordan, “What did you do to my baby?”
Because of that, the defense asked for a mistrial, and the judge granted it.
Witham-Jordan’s second trial began on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.
Maine
US Senate confirms key new Maine officials
The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.
In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.
Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.
Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.
“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”
Purchase this image
Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.
A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”
St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.
The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.
Purchase this image
Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.
Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.
Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.
Maine
This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland
As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.
Where Is It Located?
Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.
What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?
What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.
Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.
22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞
Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!
Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson
Maine
Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner
Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.
Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”
Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.
“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.
Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.
“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.
“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.
The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.
“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”
-
California5 minutes agoKars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled
-
Colorado11 minutes agoNorthern Colorado lake closed to motorized boating for 2026 due to low water projections
-
Connecticut17 minutes agoBody recovered from Connecticut River identified as missing Massachusetts man
-
Delaware23 minutes agoWoodbridge school counselor named 2026 Delaware Behavioral Health Professional of Year – State of Delaware News
-
Florida29 minutes agoFlorida man plows truck down Orlando road, hitting vehicles: Police
-
Georgia35 minutes ago
Voting Tuesday? Here’s what you need to know
-
Hawaii41 minutes agoExclusive | Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi ‘a lot more serious’ after Hawaii trip ‘changed everything’
-
Idaho47 minutes ago9 Best Small Towns To Retire In Idaho

” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=780″ height=”939″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i1.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7647956″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg 2767w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=300,275 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=768,704 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1024,939 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1536,1409 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2048,1879 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1200,1101 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2000,1834 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=780,715 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=400,367 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre looks at the crowd assembled at the new police station before he signed off for the last time to start his retirement. (Russ Dillingham/Staff Photographer)<span class=)

” data-image-caption=”<p>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)
” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=780″ height=”700″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i2.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7506406″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg 3000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=300,205 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=768,525 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1024,700 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1536,1050 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2048,1400 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1200,820 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2000,1367 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=780,533 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=400,273 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)<span class=)