Connect with us

Maine

Maine legalized iGaming. Will tribes actually benefit?

Published

on

Maine legalized iGaming. Will tribes actually benefit?


Clarissa Sabattis, Chief of the Houlton Band of Maliseets, foreground, and other leaders of Maine’s tribes are welcomed by lawmakers into the House Chamber in March, 2023 in Augusta. (Robert F. Bukaty, /Associated Press)

Maine’s gambling landscape is set to expand after Gov. Janet Mills decided Thursday to let tribes offer online casino games, but numerous questions remain over the launch of the new market and how much it will benefit the Wabanaki Nations.

Namely, there is no concrete timeline for when the new gambling options that make Maine the eighth “iGaming” state will become available. Maine’s current sports betting market that has been dominated by the Passamaquoddy Tribe through its partnership with DraftKings is evidence that not all tribes may reap equal rewards.

A national anti-online gaming group also vowed to ask Maine voters to overturn the law via a people’s veto effort and cited its own poll finding a majority of Mainers oppose online casino gaming.

Advertisement

Here are the big remaining questions around iGaming.

1. When will iGaming go into effect?

The law takes effect 90 days after the Legislature adjourns this year. Adjournment is slated for mid-April, but Mills spokesperson Ben Goodman noted it is not yet known when lawmakers will actually finish their work.

2. Where will the iGaming revenue go?

The iGaming law gives the state 18% of the gross receipts, which will translate into millions of dollars annually for gambling addiction and opioid use treatment funds, Maine veterans, school renovation loans and emergency housing relief.

Leaders of the four federally recognized tribes in Maine highlighted the “life-changing revenue” that will come thanks to the decision from Mills, a Democrat who has clashed with the Wabanaki Nations over the years over more sweeping tribal sovereignty measures.

But one chief went so far Thursday as to call her the “greatest ever” governor for “Wabanaki economic progress.”

Advertisement

3. What gaming companies will the tribes work with?

DraftKings has partnered with the Passamaquoddy to dominate Maine’s sports betting market, while the Penobscot Nation, the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians and the Mi’kmaq Nation have partnered with Caesars Entertainment to garner a smaller share of the revenue.

Wall Street analysts predicted the two companies will likely remain the major players in Maine’s iGaming market.

The partnership between the Passamaquoddy and DraftKings has brought in more than $100 million in gross revenue since 2024, but the Press Herald reported last month that some members of the tribe’s Sipayik reservation have criticized Chief Amkuwiposohehs “Pos” Bassett, saying they haven’t reaped enough benefits from the gambling money.

4. Has Mills always supported gambling measures?

The iGaming measure from Rep. Ambureen Rana, D-Bangor, factored into a long-running debate in Maine over gambling. In 2022, lawmakers and Mills legalized online sports betting and gave tribes the exclusive rights to offer it beginning in 2023.

But allowing online casino games such as poker and roulette in Maine looked less likely to become reality under Mills. Her administration had previously testified against the bill by arguing the games are addictive.

Advertisement

But Mills, who is in the final year of her tenure and is running in the high-profile U.S. Senate primary for the chance to unseat U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Thursday she would let the iGaming bill become law without her signature. She said she viewed iGaming as a way to “improve the lives and livelihoods of the Wabanaki Nations.”

5. Who is against iGaming?

Maine’s two casinos in Bangor and Oxford opposed the iGaming bill, as did Gambling Control Board Chair Steve Silver and the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, among other opponents.

Silver noted Hollywood Casino Bangor and Oxford Casino employ nearly 1,000 Mainers, and he argued that giving tribes exclusive rights to iGaming will lead to job losses.

He also said in a Friday interview the new law will violate existing statutes by cutting out his board from iGaming oversight.

“I don’t think there’s anything the board can do at this point,” Silver said.

Advertisement

The National Association Against iGaming has pledged to mount an effort to overturn the law via a popular referendum process known as the “people’s veto.” But such attempts have a mixed record of success.



Source link

Maine

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials

Published

on

US Senate confirms key new Maine officials


Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, departs the chamber at the Capitol in Washington, on July 24, 2025. (J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press)

The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.

In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.

Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.

Advertisement

Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.

“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”



Purchase this image

Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.

A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”

St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.

Advertisement

The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.



Purchase this image

Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.

Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.

Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland

Published

on

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland


As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.

Where Is It Located?

Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.

What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?

What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.

Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.

Advertisement

22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal

Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna

10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞

Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!

Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner

Published

on

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner


Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.

Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”

Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.

Students were accidentally served dirt at a fundraiser dinner at Medomak Valley High School in Waldoboro, Maine, about 30 miles outside the state capital Augusta. WMTW

“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.

Advertisement

Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.

“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.

“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.

The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.

“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending