Connect with us

Maine

Lubec will explore short-term rental ordinance

Published

on

Lubec will explore short-term rental ordinance


Lubec will create a committee tasked with crafting an ordinance to manage short-term rentals, a step officials say is necessary to help manage the impact of rentals on the housing crisis in the area.

Towns across the state, including in Washington County, are facing a housing crisis, with low- and middle-income Mainers often priced out of their communities.

At their meeting late last month, the Lubec Select Board discussed the impact that short-term rentals have on the housing crisis in Lubec, ranging from driving up rents for working people to increased burdens on town services like parking.

Advertisement

At that meeting, Selectman Dan Daley, who owns rental properties himself, floated the idea of implementing some sort of a moratorium on short-term rentals to give the town time to come up with a plan to address the issue, and this week the town’s code enforcement officer, Alex Henry, came back to the board with a short presentation about potential next steps.

After consulting with the Maine Municipal Association, Henry recommended the town form a committee to work on crafting an ordinance similar to one the town of Stonington passed in 2023. 

The Stonington ordinance defines short-term rentals as any rental contracts under 12 months, and requires that owners register and pay yearly registration fees to the town. The Stonington ordinance differentiates between owner-occupied rentals held by Stonington residents and those owned by out-of-state residents, with different fees for each category. 

The Lubec board voted to approve Henry’s proposal, and the “Ad-Hoc Short-Term Rental Ordinance Committee” will consist of two members from the planning board, two members of the public, two members of the selectboard, and Henry. 

Later in the meeting, during public comment, Lubec residents Birgitte and John Delaney brought the town an update on the Ocean Provider incident from last month. They said they had contacted the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit in Belfast and learned that the Coast Guard had opened an investigation into the incident. 

Advertisement

Reached by phone, the Coast Guard confirmed that they have opened an investigation. Petty Officer Ethan Hull explained that the incident falls under the Code of Federal Regulations, which requires any collision that happens at sea be reported to the Coast Guard.

Hull said such investigations can take weeks or months, depending on the complications involved, and said that the resulting report will be used to determine whether any laws or regulations were broken.

On the morning of Feb. 10, the Ocean Provider, a Canadian-owned, approximately 80 foot steel-hulled vessel operated by a Cooke subcontractor, collided with Lubec’s recently-repaired commercial pier, cracking three pilings. The Provider did not report the collision at the time, and the incident only came to light when a local fisherman noticed the damaged pier and reported it to harbormaster Ralph Dennison, who then contacted Cooke and confirmed their responsibility.

Reached by phone after the meeting, John and Birgitte said they were pleased with the board’s response, but that they remained upset over the incident. “Damaging a commercial pier and leaving without reporting the crime, even 17 days after the fact, is not acting like a good neighbor,” John said. Brigitte worried about a precedent being set for a double standard. “If a local lobster boat did the same thing, what would happen to them?” 

On Thursday, Cooke Aquaculture compliance officer Jennifer Robinson told Selectman Dan Daley that repairs for the pier will cost $40,000 and will take about four weeks. 

Advertisement

Devin Prock of Prock Marine Company, who Cooke hired to make the repairs, said he hopes to start work in the second half of April. The new pressure-treated pilings are being shipped from Maryland, and their installation will require a boom truck, work boats, and divers. 

Based in Rockland, Prock Marine Company did the last round of repairs to the pier, work that was funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and a resiliency grant from the Maine Department of Marine Resources. That round of repairs finished late this past January, just two weeks before the collision.

Smokehouse relocation, marathon discussed

Two members of Lubec Landmarks made a short presentation about a project to relocate the McCurdy Smokehouse to land currently occupied by the Peacock warehouse complex on the southern end of Water Street.

Sandra Teran, Lubec Landmarks’ secretary, explained the proposal and asked the board to sign a letter of support for the project that Lubec Landmarks plans to use in their application for federal funding. Teran said they will submit the letter, along with their application and many other letters of support they have received, to Sen. Susan Collins’s office next week as part of pursuing funding from the federal office of Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development.

Advertisement

Teran said that, if approved, the project will ultimately take about three years from start to finish, with spring 2027 as the earliest potential start date. Teran described the THUD Economic Development Initiative as a very competitive grant process, with thousands of applications coming in from all over the country, but said that the McCurdy Smokehouse is one of only three buildings of its type remaining nationwide, and the last remaining building of Lubec’s once-vibrant sardine processing history. 

Teran and the board discussed potential benefits, including the new building’s potential as a tourist attraction and an opportunity to reduce blight and improve parking downtown.

The board also heard a presentation this week from Dan DeLuca about the plans underway for this year’s Bay of Fundy International Marathon. DeLuca said registrations this year are at 574 participants, already exceeding last year’s figures.

He said that the Maine Sports Commission and the University of Maine are conducting an economic impact survey on the event, but shared that the marathon raised $19,200 last year for local non-profits. 



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Maine

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland

Published

on

This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland


As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.

Where Is It Located?

Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.

What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?

What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.

Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.

Advertisement

22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal

Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna

10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞

Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!

Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner

Published

on

Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner


Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.

Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”

Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.

Students were accidentally served dirt at a fundraiser dinner at Medomak Valley High School in Waldoboro, Maine, about 30 miles outside the state capital Augusta. WMTW

“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.

Advertisement

Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.

“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.

“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.

The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.

“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

Fish passage, flood control and a Maine town united | Nature Connects

Published

on

Fish passage, flood control and a Maine town united | Nature Connects


Ellie Mason is habitat restoration project manager and Alice Hotopp is fisheries assessment and science communication specialist for the Downeast Salmon Federation.

On May 23, communities around the world will celebrate World Fish Migration Day, as sea-run fish begin their remarkable journeys from the ocean into rivers, lakes and streams to spawn. The theme of this year’s celebration is “We Are River People,” a phrase that resonates deeply here in Maine.

Maine is home to over 5,000 rivers and streams, and communities have long depended on the health of these ecosystems. But over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries, the push to harness rivers for industrial power fundamentally reshaped them. The construction of dams and road crossings to support sawmills, grain mills and textile factories blocked the natural migration of sea-run fish, which include river herring, brook trout, American eels, striped bass, sturgeon, American shad and endangered Atlantic salmon.

Restoring river systems is complicated work. It requires not only engineering and ecological expertise, but community trust. On the Narraguagus River in Cherryfield, that trust has been carefully built over more than a decade, and we’re now beginning to see the results.

Advertisement

This summer, the Downeast Salmon Federation is leading the Cherryfield Fish Passage Improvement Project in partnership with the town of Cherryfield, Maine Coast Heritage Trust, The Nature Conservancy and Atlantic Salmon Federation, to replace the river’s last remaining mainstem dam with a nature-like fishway. By November, sea-run fish will encounter fewer barriers to their migrations on the Narraguagus River than at any point in the past two centuries.

The Cherryfield Ice Dam, owned by the town of Cherryfield, was built in 1961 to address the problem of ice floating downriver and flooding downtown Cherryfield. But the 7-foot structure also blocks or delays fish migrations.

The new fishway in Cherryfield has been carefully designed to address both challenges. Engineered to mimic a free-flowing river, part of the fishway will consist of a series of step pools made out of boulders. Fish will scale the same elevation they always have, but more gradually, with resting pools along the way.

Importantly, the existing headpond above the dam will be maintained at its current level, preserving the flood and ice control the town has relied on for decades. Instead of choosing between fish passage and flood protection, the engineering solution delivers both.

Dam removal and river restoration can be deeply divisive. And yet, Cherryfield residents voted unanimously to support this project. This overwhelming support was the result of years of conversations between conservation partners, town officials and residents to discuss the community’s needs, which included flood control, continued alewife harvesting and enhanced public access to the river.

Advertisement

Then, the project was designed to meet those needs, while also restoring a critical pathway for sea-run fish. With funding secured through a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Restoration Center award, the project will be completed at no cost to the town.

“We had many meetings with the Downeast Salmon Federation and Maine Coast Heritage Trust before this vote ever went into place,” said Cherryfield Selectman Corey Smith. “The town voted unanimously. They were well prepared because of the information that was given to the townspeople who attended the meetings.”

The nature-like fishway is expected to boost sea-run fish population recovery by improving access to their natural habitat. Upon project completion, over 500 miles of upstream habitat will once again be open to sea-run fish, reconnecting a river that remains an important stronghold for these species.

The project also includes significant enhancements to a park adjacent to the fishway, including a new play area, restrooms, an amphitheater, a gazebo and a floating dock that will expand public access and strengthen the community’s connection to the river. It serves as a model for community-based conservation, bringing together local government, residents, land trusts, fisheries organizations and federal agencies to design environmental solutions that address community priorities.

On May 23, as community members and conservation partners gather on the Narraguagus River to mark World Fish Migration Day, they will also celebrate the project’s progress: a major milestone in a decades-long effort to restore fish passage, reconnect habitat and strengthen community. Their story offers powerful lessons that can inform the conservation of sea-run fish in Maine and beyond.

Advertisement

“Nature Connects” is a monthly column showcasing conservation stories from people and organizations across Maine. To learn more or suggest story ideas, email [email protected].



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending