Maine
Jake Skillings of Thornton Academy wins Travis Roy Award
AUGUSTA — Thornton Academy successfully defended its Class A state championship last weekend, and Jake Skillings was a big reason why.
On Saturday, Skillings became the second straight Thornton player to win Maine’s most prestigious hockey trophy: the Travis Roy Award.
Skillings, who led Class A in scoring with 21 goals and 28 assists, was honored as the state’s best senior at the Class A Hockey Coaches Association’s banquet at the Augusta Civic Center.
The award is named for Travis Roy, who played for Yarmouth High, North Yarmouth Academy and Tabor Academy, then went on to Boston University. In his first shift for the Terriers in 1995, Roy lost his balance and went head-first into the boards. The accident left him a quadriplegic, and he went on to become a speaker and author who also started the Travis Roy Foundation, which provided support for those with spinal injuries. Roy died on Oct. 29, 2020, at age 45.
Thornton goaltender Drew Johnson won the award in 2025.
“It means a lot to me,” Skillings said after the ceremony. “I read (Travis Roy’s) book, too, and just learning and how he dealt with stuff just really pushed me to be the best person and player I am today.”
Another message Skillings took from Travis Roy’s book, “Eleven Seconds”, is that there will always be bumps in the road.
Skillings spoke about one recent bump, the death last fall of his 18U coach, Jake Brown, who died at age 34 as a result of injuries sustained in a car crash.
“We had to play for him,” Skillings said. “We know he loved the sport. We loved him as a coach. He was a very easy guy to talk to and somebody to go to if you needed help. And it’s just too sad on what happened, but he is truly remembered as a great person.”
Thornton coach Jamie Gagnon said Skillings was one of the locker room leaders.
“He did things the right way in the locker room and that’s kind of what you’d hope would be the representative of this award,” Gagnon said. “He’s, you know, very unassuming, very much so. Like, just wanted everything to be for the team. Everything had to be for the team. And it was always the first thing out of his mouth was: How does it impact the team?”
Skillings was joined by his Thornton teammate Trent LeSieur, Falmouth’s Cale Hanson and Cheverus/Yarmouth’s Ben Dumais as finalists for the award.
Skillings and LeSieur became friends at age 5 when their fathers started talking at a Learn to Skate session. They have been teammates ever since.
“Yes, it’s something that we dreamed of, and it’s honestly a great accomplishment for both of us,” Skillings said.
Skillings is Thornton Academy’s third winner. C.J. Maskut (2012) was the first Golden Trojans’ player to win the award.
Gagnon said it was nerve-wracking having two finalists from his team.
“But yeah, it’s obviously, as you see two guys up there and doing something they’re not familiar with, they’d rather be out there playing hockey, which we’ll be doing tonight,” Gagnon said. “It’s rewarding to see it go to one of them, but I think both of them would have said that, if they could pass that trophy off and give it to the other, they probably would, too. So two selfless athletes, good people, good players.”
Maine
US Senate confirms key new Maine officials
The U.S. Senate on Monday confirmed President Donald Trump’s appointees for U.S. attorney and U.S. marshal for the District of Maine.
In party line votes, Judge Andrew Benson of Unity got the nod to be the next U.S. attorney, and former Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre was confirmed as U.S. marshal.
Both nominees received bipartisan support in the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this year. They were approved “en bloc,” along with 47 other nominees in a single vote, prompting dissent from Maine’s junior senator.
Benson and St. Pierre were recommended to Trump by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, a five-term Republican whose Federal Appointments Advisory Committee helps vet possible appointees.
“Judge Benson and Chief St. Pierre have each devoted more than three decades to public service and law enforcement in Maine,” Collin said in a written statement. “I was proud to support both their nominations and now confirmations, and I am confident that they will serve the people of Maine with distinction.”
Purchase this image
Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, also signed off on the recommendation. But King joined Democrats in voting “no” on Monday.
A King spokesperson said the junior senator opposed approving all of the nominations in a single vote, because the slate included “many seriously problematic candidates.”
St. Pierre is a 2018 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, who oversaw the Lewiston Police Department during the 2023 mass shooting that resulted in 18 deaths. He retired last year after serving more than 30 years with the department.
The U.S. Marshals Service is the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Its duties include protecting the federal judiciary, managing property seized from criminals, transporting federal criminals and overseeing the Witness Protection Program.
Purchase this image
Benson, a graduate of the University of Maine Law School, is currently serving as the interim U.S. attorney of Maine, a position to which he was appointed last October. He was a Maine District Court judge from 2014 to 2025. Prior to that, he was a homicide prosecutor in the Maine Office of Attorney General for 15 years.
Benson will now be the chief federal law enforcement officer for the District of Maine. He’s one of 83 U.S. attorneys, and the only one in Maine.
Despite Monday’s partisan votes, both nominees received strong bipartisan support from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Benson was recommended 19-3 in January and St. Pierre was endorsed 20-2 in March.
Maine
This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland
As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.
Where Is It Located?
Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.
What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?
What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.
Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.
22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞
Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!
Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson
Maine
Maine high school students accidentally served dirt at charity dinner
Teenagers are known for dishing out the dirt, but not quite like this.
Students at a high school in Maine were fed potting soil at a community service event raising money to fight hunger, in a bizarre incident the school called “an unfortunate accident.”
Students at Medomack Valley High School in Waldoboro had baked a batch of potting soil earlier that day during a science class experiment to determine the effect of sterilized soil on plant growth, according to a statement from the school.
“The soil had been placed in a baking dish covered with foil and set off to the side of the stove area, separate from the Empty Bowl Supper food items,” the statement signed by principal Linda Pease read.
Later, in the mad dash to serve guests at the charity dinner, the oven-roasted dirt got mixed in with other food items meant for the meal and was brought out for service.
“Three students briefly put some of the soil in their mouths, believing it to be a dessert item, before immediately realizing what it was,” the school said, adding they “promptly” had the unwanted earthen confection removed from the serving tables.
“This was a completely accidental situation and absolutely not a prank,” the school assured.
The parents of the involved students were contacted by administrators, and the students were spoken with at school.
“Those involved in organizing the Empty Bowl Supper, a longstanding community service event that means a great deal to our school and community, are deeply sorry that this occurred.”
-
Arizona2 minutes ago
Autopsy says the death of a Haitian man detained in Arizona was related to his dental woes
-
Arkansas8 minutes agoThree Reasons Arkansas Fans Should Be Optimistic for This Season
-
California14 minutes agoKars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled
-
Colorado20 minutes agoNorthern Colorado lake closed to motorized boating for 2026 due to low water projections
-
Connecticut26 minutes agoBody recovered from Connecticut River identified as missing Massachusetts man
-
Delaware32 minutes agoWoodbridge school counselor named 2026 Delaware Behavioral Health Professional of Year – State of Delaware News
-
Florida38 minutes agoFlorida man plows truck down Orlando road, hitting vehicles: Police
-
Georgia44 minutes ago
Voting Tuesday? Here’s what you need to know

” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=780″ height=”939″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i1.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7647956″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg 2767w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=300,275 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=768,704 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1024,939 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1536,1409 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2048,1879 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=1200,1101 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=2000,1834 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=780,715 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2026/05/41735137_SJ.CITchiefRetiresSAP.0910251_ac9706.jpg?resize=400,367 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Lewiston Police Chief David St. Pierre looks at the crowd assembled at the new police station before he signed off for the last time to start his retirement. (Russ Dillingham/Staff Photographer)<span class=)

” data-image-caption=”<p>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)
” data-large-file=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=780″ height=”700″ width=”1024″ fifu-data-src=”https://i2.wp.com/www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1″ alt=”” class=”wp-image-7506406″ srcset=”https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg 3000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=300,205 300w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=768,525 768w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1024,700 1024w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1536,1050 1536w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2048,1400 2048w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=1200,820 1200w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=2000,1367 2000w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=780,533 780w, https://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2025/10/38288486_20250506_ms.benson.1003_0y171.jpg?resize=400,273 400w” sizes=”(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px”/><figcaption>Maine District Court Judge Andrew Benson during a trial 2025 trial at Skowhegan District Court. (Anna Chadwick/Staff Photographer)<span class=)