Maine
Hunter Biden found guilty on all counts
A federal jury in Delaware has convicted President Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, on felony gun charges stemming from his purchase of a Colt revolver in 2018 when he was addicted to crack cocaine.
The verdict, handed down after three hours of deliberations, capped a weeklong trial in federal court in Wilmington, Del. The jury found Hunter Biden guilty on two counts of making false statements about his drug use when he bought the weapon, and one count of illegal possession of a firearm by a drug user or addict.
In a statement after the verdict, Hunter Biden said: “I am more grateful today for the love and support I experienced this last week from Melissa, my family, my friends, and my community than I am disappointed by the outcome.”
His attorney, Abbe Lowell, said his team “will continue to vigorously pursue all the legal challenges available to Hunter.”
This was the first of two cases against Hunter Biden brought by Justice Department special counsel David Weiss. The president’s son also faces tax charges in a separate prosecution scheduled to go to trial in September.
Biden has said he won’t pardon his son, and on Tuesday he said in a statement: “I will accept the outcome of this case and will continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal.”
The gun case was rooted in a difficult period in Hunter Biden’s life when he was reeling after the death of his brother, Beau, in 2015 and was addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol.
It centers on the Colt revolver that the president’s son bought at a gun store in Wilmington, Delaware in October 2018. It was thrown away in a trash can outside a grocery store 11 days later.
Prosecutors said that Hunter Biden lied on the federal form every gun purchaser is required to fill out when he declared that he was not using or addicted to illegal drugs.
Over the course of the trial, prosecutors set out to prove to the jury that Hunter was a drug user at the time, that he knew it and that he lied about when he bought the gun.
Prosecutors called 10 witnesses, including three women who were at one point romantically involved with Hunter Biden: his ex-wife, Kathleen Buhle; an ex-girlfriend, Zoe Kestan; and his brother Beau’s widow, Hallie Biden.
Buhle, who was subpoenaed to testify, told the jury about first discovering her then-husband’s drug use when she found a crack pipe on the porch of their home the day after their 22nd wedding anniversary. The couple divorced in 2017.
Kestan and Hallie Biden, both of whom were granted immunity to testify, told jurors they had witnessed Hunter Biden smoke crack cocaine as well as buy it from drug dealers. Kestan also testified that she was with the president’s son in 2018 when he was cooking his own crack from powder cocaine.
Hallie Biden, meanwhile, testified about how she and Hunter Biden became romantically involved over time following the death of her husband—Hunter’s brother—in 2017. She told jurors that Hunter had introduced her to crack, and that they smoked it together—a period of her life, she said, that she was embarrassed and ashamed of.
Hunter’s own words also factored into the government’s case. Prosecutors played long excerpts from his memoir in which he describes in painful detail his spiral into addiction.
The government also presented the jury with text messages Hunter Biden sent and received between 2017 and 2019 in which he talks about using drugs, buying drugs and his addiction to crack.
That includes two text messages that he sent just days after he bought the gun. In one, he says he’s waiting for a dealer named Mookie, and in another he says he was “sleeping on a car smoking crack.”
Hunter Biden’s attorney, Abbe Lowell, has not disputed that Hunter Biden was addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol. But he has argued that his client completed a rehab program in August of 2018, and that he did not consider himself a drug user when he bought the gun on Oct. 12, 2018 or over the period that he owned it.
In his closing argument, Lowell accused prosecutors of using sleight of hand to try to hide what he said were holes in its case.
Throughout the trial, Lowell tried to focus the jury’s attention on a narrow period of time—the 11 days Hunter Biden owned the gun before Hallie Biden found it and threw it in a trash can outside a Wilmington grocery store.
Lowell repeatedly pointed out that the government has a lot of text messages from before and after October 2018 in which Hunter Biden talks about his drug use or even arranges to buy drugs—but not in October 2018.
The drug texts the government did produce dating to the period Hunter Biden owned the gun Lowell tried to diffuse as nothing more than facetious messages his client sent to Hallie Biden.
Copyright 2024 NPR
Maine
Kennebunkport explores options to limit tour bus congestion
KENNEBUNKPORT (WGME) — The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities.
Kennebunkport is the latest town looking to ease summer and fall tour bus congestion because of the limited space in Dock Square.
“The tour bus situation in Dock Square is an issue,” Kennebunkport Select Board Member David Bancroft said.
The debate is putting some year-round residents and local businesses at odds. Some people in Kennebunkport say tour busses are clogging up Dock Square in the summer and fall, making the area dangerous for pedestrians, and they say some bus drivers ignore local ordinances governing them.
“I have witnessed motor coaches violating numerous town codes and causing safety issues,” Kennebunkport resident Dorset Star said.
Some year-round residents told the Kennebunkport Select Board they support further limiting the number of tour buses in town. Tour bus companies took issue with that suggestion at a town meeting on the subject last week.
The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities. (WGME)
“Everybody wants to be green, but you don’t want to take 40 cars off the road to put them on a bus,” Jason Briggs with VIP Tour & Charter Bus Company said.
Local businesses say the money those tourists bring in, especially in September and October, allows them to stay open year-round.
“The reality is if we don’t have visitors coming in, we decrease our hours. Therefore, we don’t need as much staffing,” Abby Daggett from Maine Art Hill said.
“Without the tour buses, a lot of these stores wouldn’t be able to thrive. They’d kind of start to die,” Henry Howe, who works at The Candy Man, said.
Alisson’s Restaurant employs 83 local people; workers whose families depend on their full-time jobs.
The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities. (WGME)
“Without the tour buses, I don’t know that we would be able to stay open year-round,” Alisson’s General Manager Ashley Padget said.
Several people told the select board the town needs to better enforce the bus ordinances already on the books, like not idling buses or parking where they shouldn’t.
Right now, all tour buses load and unload on Cross Street. To ease congestion, some suggest additional drop-off locations or smaller shuttles to transport tourists from buses into Dock Square.
“I just hope we find a path in a good way to keep that business in town,” Federal Jack’s Owner Ben Fitzpatrick said.
Town leaders say they have no intention of banning tour buses, but they say it’s time to consider options to limit them for the upcoming season.
Maine
Maine sheriffs aim to install new system to alert victims of inmate releases
Members of Maine law enforcement are hoping to expand an electronic victim notification system to more county jails.
Last May, the Maine Sheriffs Association launched a pilot program at four jails using “VINE,” a system where people can voluntarily register to be notified when an inmate is released.
The pilot program is currently available at four county jails in the state: Aroostook, Penobscot, Somerset, and Two Bridges Regional Jail, which covers Lincoln and Sagadahoc counties.
Penobscot County Sheriff Troy Morton says it’s information that is invaluable to victims and witnesses who want to keep track of the release of a specific inmate.
It’s already been used more than 6,000 times.
Sheriffs are now hoping lawmakers will approve $250,000 in the upcoming supplemental budget to expand the program to all 15 county jails.
“This isn’t a county corrections issue, this is a statewide issue to protect victims and witnesses through electronic notification and no longer put our state last in something that is probably the most important,” Morton said.
Morton says Maine is the only state in the country without a program like this.
To register for a Maine VINE account, visit VINELink.com, download the VINELink mobile app, or call 1-866-358-0005.
Maine
Marking 27 years since Bethel first set world record for tallest snowman
BETHEL (WGME) – Thursday marks 27 years since a record-breaking snowman was completed in Bethel.
In 1999, the finishing touches were put on Angus “King of the Mountain,” named after then-Governor Angus King.
At 113 feet and 7 inches, it set a Guinness World Record for world’s tallest snowman at the time.
Just nine years later, Bethel would break that record, building Olympia “the Snowe-Woman,” which stood at 122 feet and 1 inch.
The Bethel Chamber of Commerce says it took 13 million pounds of snow to build Olympia and 8 million to build Angus.
-
Oklahoma3 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Science1 week agoContributor: Is there a duty to save wild animals from natural suffering?
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high