Connecticut
Former lawyer of missing Connecticut mom's husband pleads guilty to interfering with police
STAMFORD, Conn. — The former lawyer and friend of the late, estranged husband of Jennifer Dulos, a Connecticut mother of five who went missing in 2019 and is now presumed dead, pleaded guilty Friday to interfering with police in the case.
Kent Mawhinney had originally been charged with the more serious crime of conspiracy to commit murder.
A court clerk in Stamford confirmed Mawhinney was sentenced to serve 11 months. That equates to the time Mawhinney has already served behind bars since his arrest.
Outside court on Friday, Mawhinney denied knowing the whereabouts of the missing woman and said he would tell authorities if he did.
Dulos, who was last seen dropping off her children at school in New Canaan on May 24, 2019, was declared legally dead in 2023.
Prosecutors allege the late Fotis Dulos killed his wife at her New Canaan home and drove away with her body. He died by suicide in 2020, soon after being charged with murder. He had denied killing his wife. The couple were going through a contentious divorce at the time of her disappearance.
Last year, his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, was convicted of helping Fotis Dulos plot and cover up the murder of Jennifer Dulos. Troconis was sentenced to more than 14 years in prison.
Mawhinney’s attorney, Jeffrey Kestenband, said in a statement his client was not part of a conspiracy to kill Jennifer Dulos, noting the state acknowledged there was not enough evidence to prove the original charge.
“The state’s acknowledgment is not surprising because Kent was not involved,” Kestenband said. “He has been through a lot since his arrest, and he can now move on with his life.”
Friends and family of Jennifer Dulos said in a statement they do not believe Mawhinney has been absolved of conspiracy to murder, saying the charge was dropped for multiple reasons and they supported the decision to do so.
Connecticut
Man arrested for string of home burglaries in East Lyme
A man has been arrested in connection to several home burglaries in East Lyme in September, police said.
The police department said a New London man was arrested on Friday and he is facing 17 charges.
Police said they were able to identify a suspect due to more patrol officers and investigative work by their detectives.
The man faces charges including 12 counts of burglary, attempted burglary, larceny and criminal mischief.
He was held on a $770,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 1.
Connecticut
Veterans serve sailors away from home for Thanksgiving
Connecticut
1 person killed in motorcycle crash in Old Saybrook
One person is dead after a motorcycle crash in Old Saybrook early Thursday morning.
The crash happened on School House Road around 1:20 a.m.
The motorcycle was the only vehicle involved in the crash, according to police.
First responders performed life-saving measures on the motorcycle opertator but the person died from their injuries, police said.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to contact Officer Charles Moriarty at (860) 395-3142.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Politics1 week agoMamdani keeps Jessica Tisch as NYPD commissioner