2026 Memorial Day events in Connecticut
Connecticut
CT DACA recipients can soon get health coverage on the exchange
Beginning Nov. 1, Connecticut participants in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, commonly known as DACA, can for the first time enroll in health coverage through Access Health CT.
The change follows a federal policy finalized in May expanding the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, eligibility to DACA recipients.
The ACA allows U.S. citizens and lawfully present noncitizens to obtain health coverage and subsidies through state-based marketplaces, like Access Health CT. But, prior to the new regulations, DACA recipients weren’t considered “lawfully present” as it pertains to the ACA.
“This really fixes that exclusion that happened when DACA was created back in 2012,” said Carolina Bortolleto, a co-founder of CT Students for a Dream, a statewide organization advocating for undocumented students and their families. “It shows that expanding coverage is something our government officials know is a good thing to do.”
With the updated regulation, DACA recipients will now be able to enroll in coverage through state-based marketplaces, like Access Health CT. They can also obtain subsidies to help cover the cost of a plan if they qualify based on their income, address, and household size.
People can enroll online, in person, or by phone. Residents can also visit one of Access Health CT’s Navigator partner locations to get help from an enrollment specialist.
The Biden administration estimates that more than a third of DACA recipients currently do not have health insurance and that the new rule could help 100,000 people across the country obtain coverage.
There are roughly 2,900 DACA recipients in Connecticut as of March 2024, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Bortolleto said most DACA recipients that have health coverage get it through their employers. Some also qualify for Medicaid, known as HUSKY in Connecticut.
But the expansion could still face legal challenges.
A lawsuit filed by Kansas and 18 other states seeks to block the new rule. But no decision has been made yet, meaning DACA recipients are still eligible for marketplace plans and subsidies when open enrollment starts on Nov. 1.
‘HUSKY for immigrants’
Bortolleto said that the new federal regulation could also help bolster the ongoing push to broaden health coverage to undocumented residents in the state.
“It’s particularly significant because here in Connecticut we are fighting to expand access to HUSKY Medicaid to the undocumented population,” Bortolleto said. “It also highlights that there’s still a gap that will be left behind, even after DACA recipients are able to access the ACA.”
In Connecticut, children 15 and under, as well as people who are pregnant and postpartum, qualify for health coverage from the state regardless of immigration status.
But the effort to extend Medicaid-like coverage to children without permanent legal status has been a gradual and sometimes frustrating journey for many advocates. In 2021, legislators passed a bill opening the program to undocumented kids 8 and younger but delayed the launch until Jan. 1, 2023. In 2022, they broadened the population to include those 12 and younger.
Last year, a measure was introduced expanding it to everyone 25 and younger. But legislators settled on a pared back version, folded into the state budget, that extends coverage to kids 15 and younger regardless of their immigration status, which went into effect in July of this year.
The program has seen strong demand. As of April of this year, over 11,000 children 12 and under who wouldn’t have otherwise qualified for Medicaid because of their immigration status were enrolled in state-sponsored Medicaid-like coverage, smashing estimates that roughly 4,250 kids would enroll.
Connecticut
3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden
MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.
New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.
Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.
The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.
To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.
Connecticut
Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer
HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Eversource customers in Connecticut may see a double-digit rate hike next summer.
The electric company filed a letter of intent on Wednesday seeking a rate hike of about 11% across all customer classes and about 13% for residential customers. If the distribution rate is approved as proposed, it would begin on July 1, 2027.
Section of Waterbury Road remains closed after water line break in Thomaston
A spokesperson for Eversource said the letter of intent details an annual operating revenue deficiency of about $503 million, not including storm costs between 2018 and 2023.
The economy, inflation, supply chain challenges and other factors increased equipment costs and materials across the utility industry, according to Eversource.
To maintain the level of “affordable reliability and resiliency” customers expect, an increased investment is needed, an Eversource spokesperson said.
Read the full letter of intent below:
The letter of intent is the first step in requesting that regulators review and adjust distribution rates to reflect the modern cost of maintaining electric systems and services.
Eversource Spokesperson Sarah Paduano’s full statement on Wednesday read:
“Today we submitted a letter of intent (LOI) to file a distribution rate review for our electric operations – the first in nearly a decade. Over the last 10 years, customers have experienced increased reliability as a direct result of our strategic investments in the electric system, and increased investment is needed to maintain the level of affordable reliability and resiliency that customers have come to expect.
The LOI is standard procedure and submitted prior to filing the actual rate review application. This is the first step in the process to request regulators review and adjust current distribution rates to better reflect the cost of maintaining the electric system and safely delivering power to customers across Connecticut. Our LOI details an operating revenue deficiency of approximately $503 million annually, which excludes 2018-2023 storm costs. If approved as proposed, the average increase would be approximately 11% across all customer classes and approximately 13% for residential customers starting July 1, 2027.
Our storm costs are currently being evaluated by PURA in a separate docket, and we are hopeful regulators will authorize securitization for those costs, which is a specialized financing method that will allow those costs to be recovered over a much longer timeframe of 20 years and at a lower interest rate compared to the traditional six year recovery. If securitization is approved, this will substantially lower bill impacts for customers and allow us to keep the full amount of storm costs from our rate review application.“
Connecticut Attorney General William Tong released the following statement Wednesday in response to the proposed rate increase:
“Connecticut families are getting crushed by unaffordable energy costs while Eversource executives crow to Wall Street over surging profits and rake in multimillion dollar bonuses. But they choose now to demand hundreds of millions of dollars more. Why? Because after years of litigation and lobbying, they finally ran their chief regulator out of town. They want a rate hike now not because they need one, but because they think they can get away with it. We’re going to scrutinize every profit, every bonus, every perk and every padded expense in their application and we’re going to be fighting for Connecticut families and small businesses at every step of this process.”
Paduano said there are no CEO, CFO, or company president salaries or variable pay included in the proposed rate request.
Consumer Counsel Claire E. Coleman also released the following statement on Wednesday on the rate filing:
“A letter of intent is the first step in the rate case process, where a company notifies regulators that it intends to seek a rate increase. Eversource will now have up to 60 days to file a full application, formally triggering what is expected to be one of the most consequential utility review proceedings in years. Once filed, OCC will aggressively scrutinize the company’s request, conduct discovery, cross examine Eversource witnesses, and present recommendations to PURA to ensure customers are not asked to pay for anything beyond the most necessary and cost-effective investments. My office will prioritize keeping costs as low as possible for consumers already struggling with affordability challenges, while promoting critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, consumer protections, and overall system reliability. Because Eversource has not undergone a rate review since 2018, this case will provide the first real opportunity in years to thoroughly examine the company’s operations, spending decisions, and priorities under a microscope. This process will also provide multiple opportunities for members of the public, community organizations, and elected officials to participate through public hearings and written comments submitted into the record. OCC strongly encourages consumers to stay engaged throughout the proceeding and to visit our website or contact our office directly for information on how to participate.”
Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.
Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.
Connecticut
Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search
(WFSB) – The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Board of Regents met to discuss the search for an interim chancellor.
The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, with nearly the entire time spent in executive session. Before the board adjourned, they said no action was taken that needed to be publicly addressed.
The board elected a temporary chair who almost immediately moved to make the discussion private.
“The board will now go into executive session to discuss preliminary drafts and notes as well as personnel matters,” said Ari Santiago, Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities.
The meeting comes after the former chancellor, his replacement and the board chair stepped down in the last year amid controversies.
Last spring, former Chancellor Terrence Cheng was made a special advisor to the board after a state audit found thousands of dollars worth of questionable spending like travel and entertainment.
John Maduko was then named interim chancellor. Last month, he was put on administrative leave and then resigned. Documents obtained found Maduko was under investigation for sexual harassment.
This week, Board of Regents Chair Marty Guay resigned. In the complaint filed against Maduko, a woman says she did not report the harassment sooner because she says Guay told her he previously fired a woman for filing a sexual assault complaint.
Karen Bufkin, CSCU’s general counsel, is currently leading the system. She was part of the meeting.
Governor Ned Lamont says he plans to appoint a new chair for the Board of Regents by the end of this week.
Copyright 2026 WFSB. All rights reserved.
-
Finance1 minute agoSpecial meeting set for swearing-in of Magnolia finance officer and town clerk
-
Fitness7 minutes agoI’m a strength coach – this exercise ‘looks easy’ but do it right, and you’ll have stronger obliques and better core stability
-
Movie Reviews19 minutes ago‘Ladies First’ Review: Sacha Baron Cohen and Rosamund Pike in a Netflix Comedy That’s High-Concept but Hopelessly Predictable
-
World31 minutes ago
A look at the Hajj pilgrimage and Eid al-Adha and their significance to Muslims around the world
-
News37 minutes agoVideo: Thousands Attend Prayer Service for San Diego Mosque Attack Victims
-
Politics43 minutes agoVideo: Trump Settled a Case With Himself. Was That Legal?
-
Lifestyle1 hour ago‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu’ may not be the way : Pop Culture Happy Hour
-
Technology2 hours agoAnker’s new earbuds’ call quality is ridiculously good