MIDDLETOWN — State veterans officials are working on a small, immediate expansion of the 21-acre State Veterans Cemetery grounds, which is projected to run out of room for buried cremains by July 2027.
Connecticut
Connecticut veterans affairs ID’s plot near Middletown state cemetery for small expansion
The state Department of Veterans Affairs will be adding additional cremains plots at 197 Bow Lane in Middletown, which abuts the State Veterans Cemetery.
Charles Pickett, state commander of the New Haven-based Veterans of Foreign Wars Connecticut division, who runs the Save our Cemetery website, has called the issue an “impending crisis.”
Article continues below this ad
He has been advocating for a cemetery annex for some time.
The move is expected to extend the cemetery’s capacity for about five years, according to state Department of Veterans Affairs Deputy Commissioner John S. Carragher.
The land abutting the columbarium, located at 197 Bow Lane and adjacent to the cemetery, was previously owned by the state Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, and is part of the overall cemetery property, Carragher added.
It was “declared excess to their needs in 2020 and subsequently placed under the care and custody of CT DVA,” he continued.
Article continues below this ad
The flat and grassy plot, formerly used by Connecticut Valley Hospital, is approximately half-an-acre, he said, and includes a circa 1950 Colonial revival structure informally known as Cottage 22.
“We are in the process of surveying the plot to formally move it from the larger CVH plot to the current cemetery plot. We are planning on taking down the cottage to maximize the available space,” Carragher said.
The total acreage of land to be expanded upon is “unknown until the project is fully designed,” Carragher said.
“We have less than an acre on the current cemetery site in Middletown,” he said. “We’re going to have to take down a building if we can get approval to do that. That would provide some additional time.”
Article continues below this ad
Last year, the DVA had to decline a $4 million federal grant after Middletown officials rejected a request to expand the cemetery.
Common Council members voted unanimously in November 2024 not to sell about 90 acres of open space to the state for a much-needed annex. That property, on Bow Lane and parts of Cedar Lane and Reservoir Road, is among five parcels totaling 256 acres of land near the hospital.
The agency went through a very competitive national process to apply for a limited amount of money through the National Cemetery Administration’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program.
DVA Commissioner Ron Welch, who spoke during the office’s September podcast, said finding a larger, permanent expansion continues to be officials’ top priority.
Article continues below this ad
Cremains spots are four-by-four feet in size, he added.
“We’re looking for 50 to 100 buildable acres, ideally, somewhere in the central part of the state,” he told the program host.
The DVA has been searching across Connecticut, he added, looking at some 15 sites, three of which he expects will undergo feasibility studies.
Although the state hasn’t specified where the sites are, Welch said during the episode one is in the eastern part of the state, and others in the western and south central portions of Connecticut.
Article continues below this ad
Pickett is hopeful knowing a temporary solution is underway.
“It is heartening to see progress into the expansion of the Middletown cemetery,” he said Friday. “It buys the state more time to find a suitable replacement.”
Connecticut
Connecticut State Police respond to NAACP request for more information on 17-year-old boy’s death
WALLINGFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Connecticut State Police responded to a request from the state NAACP on Friday to provide more information on the death of a 17-year-old boy who allegedly fled the scene of a crash involving a stolen car.
The NAACP held a news conference Friday morning, announcing that they are opening their own investigation into Khasir Jennette’s death.
His body was found in the woods by a dogwalker in Wallingford on Feb. 21, around 9:15 a.m., three weeks after a stolen Acura he was in crashed on Route 15 North in Wallingford.
The NAACP said they want more answers on how investigators searched for the teen after he was reported missing.
At the time of the crash on Feb. 1, around 9:48 p.m., police said there were about 12 to 16 inches of snow on the ground. K-9 units were called to track the area of the Quinnipiac River near the abandoned car around 10:30 p.m., which did not yield any results.
Police received another call at 1:34 a.m. from Jennette’s mother, stating that he was involved in the crash on Route 15 and was in the woods with his friends freezing. She had not seen him since Jan. 31 and provided a description of what he could have been wearing. She also said another mother had called her to say her son was in the woods, as well.
State police released a detailed summary in response, listing the resources deployed in searching for Jennette after he went missing, which included opening a missing persons investigation, distributing the information to social media, and issuing a Silver Alert.
Connecticut State Police stated that many resources were deployed on Sunday night, going into Monday morning, when they found tracks leading through “extreme conditions,” including frozen waterways, embankments, wooden unlighted terrain, brush, sticks and prickers, and into the Amazon property campus locations with solar farms.
State police also said that the Quinnipiac River was not fully frozen and had water flowing under breakable ice. The overnight temperature on the night of Sunday, Feb. 1, was -3 degrees.
Police said they used the following while attempting to locate the boy:
- CSP air 1 unit
- CSP drone unit
- CSP search and rescue K-9 units
- CSP Troop I K09 units
- CSP Troop I patrol units
- Troop G K-9 Units
- Troop G patrol units
- CSP Troop H patrol units
- CSP troop H K-9 units (patrol and bloodhound K-9)
- EMS services
- Wallingford Fire Department thermal imaging
- Wallingford Police Department patrol units
- CSP Central District Major Crimes
- CSP Intelligence and Operations Unit
- CSP Collision, Analysis and Reconstruction Squad
An arrest warrant shows that Jennette was one of the three people in the stolen car at the time of the crash, and that police have arrested at least one person, Khalil Marquis Council, in connection with the theft.
Jennette’s mother stated that she had texted him the day of the crash around 9:30 a.m., which he read but did not reply to. She said that his phone did not have cell service and connected to WiFi when it was available.
State police additionally clarified that a press release was not sent out upon the discovery of Jennette’s body, as “it is standard operating procedure that press releases are not completed
by police departments following unattended death investigations.”
Connecticut
Where to watch Connecticut Sun vs Seattle Storm on May 22: TV channel, start time and streaming
The WNBA has returned with a brand new collective bargaining agreement and a league full of loaded rosters as the 2026 season tips off.
A rookie class headlined by Dallas Wings top pick Azzi Fudd, Minnesota’s Olivia Miles and Washington’s Lauren Betts is ready to make a mark in the pros while the defending champion Las Vegas Aces look to keep their dynasty alive with a fourth title in five years.
As the the season gets going under a new media rights deal, it can be tough to figure out which channel each team is playing on every night. Here’s everything you need to know to tune in when the Seattle Storm host the Connecticut Sun on Friday.
What time is Connecticut Sun vs Seattle Storm?
Tip off between the Seattle Storm and Connecticut Sun is scheduled for 10 p.m. (ET) on Friday, May 22.
How to watch Connecticut Sun vs Seattle Storm on Friday
All times Eastern and accurate as of Friday, May 22, 2026, at 6:08 a.m.
- Matchup: CON at SEA
- Date: Friday, May 22
- Time: 10 p.m. (ET)
- Venue: Climate Pledge Arena
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- TV: ion
- Streaming: ion
Watch the WNBA all season on Fubo
WNBA scores and results
See scores, results for all of today’s games .
See WNBA scores, results from May 21
Odds for WNBA games today
The latest WNBA odds can be found below from the best sports betting apps . Some odds may include games scheduled on future dates.
Connecticut
3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden
MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.
New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.
Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.
The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.
To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.
-
Lifestyle7 minutes agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology19 minutes agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for
-
World25 minutes agoMojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
-
Politics31 minutes agoMilitary families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
-
Health37 minutes agoLow-impact routine may help adults lower blood pressure at home
-
Sports43 minutes agoThunder erase 15-point deficit to take series lead over Spurs as Victor Wembanyama’s 26 points fall short
-
Technology49 minutes agoFox News AI Newsletter: AI girlfriend dumps Hollywood filmmaker
-
Business55 minutes agoWaymo suspends all freeway rides over safety
