Connect with us

Boston, MA

NFL notes: The new glue of the Patriots defense is a 24-year-old safety from Sacramento State

Published

on

NFL notes: The new glue of the Patriots defense is a 24-year-old safety from Sacramento State


FOXBORO — Last year, Bill Belichick had this draft crush.

He was small-school prospect, undersized and undersold. A defender without a clear position, but obvious potential. And evaluating him became more difficult as the draft drew closer.

An injury at the Senior Bowl in early February forced this Sacramento State product to sit out most of the traditional draft process. No combine invite, no lifting, no running. No chance for NFL teams to compare him side by side with other prospects.

Suddenly, his film became his resume. On that film, he hunted. Running backs, wide receivers and tight ends, none were safe from this 6-foot-3, 217-pound self-guided missile.

Advertisement

But how exactly, at that size and coming from the FCS level, would he translate to the NFL?

To find out, the Patriots hosted Marte Mapu for a pre-draft visit in mid-April. He impressed, and weeks later, they selected him in the third round.

Even then, Belichick didn’t know if Mapu would settle as an NFL linebacker or safety. But the kid, he figured, could play, and his new teammates were quick to learn one reason why Belichick loved Mapu.

“He’s always in the film room studying. Even day one of (spring practices) when he was a rookie,” Patriots defensive captain Deatrich Wise said. “And you can tell when coach asks question, who speaks, who corrects things. He’s always that guy.”

Fast forward, and Mapu demonstrated the power of his studying in a stunning season debut last Sunday.

Advertisement

After missing two months with another injury he suffered in training camp, Mapu played all 75 defensive snaps during the Pats’ loss to Miami. He aligned as a deep safety, inside linebacker, outside linebacker and even over the slot as a nickelback, finishing with seven tackles and a pass breakup. Patriots coaches also tasked him with leading the defense, relaying play-calls and making pre-snap checks.

Coach Dont’a Hightower talks with Marte Mapu of the New England Patriots during training camp at Gillette Stadium. (Photo By Matt Stone/Boston Herald)

The Dolphins tested Mapu’s leadership immediately, going up-tempo on their first drive. Except Mapu had anticipated that tempo, reasoning Miami head coach Mike McDaniel, an ex-49ers assistant, would mimic what his old boss, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, had done to the Patriots the week before. Mapu relayed his gut feeling to linebacker Raekwon McMillan, who then made the tackle on Miami’s opening play, a harmless four-yard run, and scooted back to the defensive huddle.

“(He’s) a young guy, but he comes in like a vet,” McMillan said. “Things that took me two or three years to pick up on, he’s getting right now.”

For the Patriots, the timing of Mapu’s emergence couldn’t be better. Jabrill Peppers, a captain and pillar of their defense, is out indefinitely on the commissioner’s exempt list following his arrest on assault charges and drug possession. Kyle Dugger is dealing with a lingering ankle injury.

Without them, the Patriots nonetheless deployed three safeties on more than two-thirds of their defensive snaps. They trusted Mapu and rookie Dell Pettus to capably replace two of their 10 best players in a critical divisional game. For one Sunday, they delivered.

Advertisement

“There’s a bunch of stuff going on out there that people don’t really know,” McMillan said, “but Marte and Dell (Pettus) were on it last game.”

New England Patriots safety Marte Mapu talks last year during his rookie season. (Stuart Cahill/Boston Herald)
New England Patriots safety Marte Mapu talks last year during his rookie season. (Stuart Cahill/Boston Herald)

Pats defensive coordinator DeMarcus Covington agreed.

“I’m proud of the way (Mapu) played on Sunday,” Covington said. “I think he earned the right to do that, because I know he studied in the classroom, on the field. That’s a smart guy who prepared very, very well.”

Like the wisest Patriots defenders of the Belichick era, Mapu pulls from the team’s past to propel himself forward. Any time ex-Patriots safety Devin McCourty visits the facility, Mapu requests some 1-on-1 time with him. He wants to know how McCourty played so consistently, walking the tightrope that is the deep safety position in a single-high defense.

McCourty obliges.

“It’s cool, just to have someone that’s been so great at what they do,” Mapu said. “And everybody has their own style, but to hear from him and how he played in this system, it’s so specific that it really helps.”

Advertisement

Mapu, other team sources says, is interested in little outside of football. He keeps a low profile. He’s straightforward. Asked about recovering from such a sudden workload last week, Mapu didn’t mince words.

Callahan: How a Drake Maye-led Patriots offense could look and more Week 6 thoughts

“Move as slow as possible,” he said. “Rest as much as possible.”

Mapu also explained eventually last week’s game reached a point of stasis. The Dolphins wanted to run the ball, and the Patriots were intent on playing three-safety personnel to withstand their rushing attack, while keeping enough speed on the field to defend Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. The game slowed.

Eventually Miami wore the Pats down, breaking through for a game-winning three-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Yet Mapu never left the field, solely focused on fulfilling his assignment down after down; wherever and however he was asked to play.

Advertisement

“I didn’t want to do too much or try to identify too many (of Miami’s) plays,” he admitted. “but that’s what growth is for.”

Growth, and the foreseeable future as the new glue of the Patriots defense

Play-calling lessons

Halloween is almost three weeks away, but Alex Van Pelt feels haunted already.

The Patriots’ 54-year-old offensive coordinator volunteered Thursday he still regrets play-calls from the team’s loss at the Jets in Week 3. In the days after that game, Van Pelt said he got too pass-happy.

On Thursday, he reviewed his first five games as a play-caller.

Advertisement
Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt on the field during Patriots training camp. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)
Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt on the field during Patriots training camp. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald)

“I feel like I’ve put us in good situations, I’ve had some bad calls,” he said. “Obviously the Jets game haunts me a little bit so in that game, but we all collectively just have to better. We have to do better in situations, situations like that. At the same time, we all just need to step up our game across the board. That goes for everyone, coaches, players.”

Covington has led another struggling unit, which ranks 28th by DVOA and 23rd by EPA/play. Covington has rebounded since Seattle’s Geno Smith and Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers torched his blitz package in back-to-back weeks. But managing a banged-up roster has proved to be his greatest challenge.

“It’s just, for me, to continue to evolve as the season goes on because it seems like every week we have, whether it’s a player that goes out, a different unit that needs to step up, I need to help the players play in the right way, based off who’s available for the game,” Covington said. “We haven’t had a consistent group this season. It’s always been somebody different, whether, like last week we had both dugout, we had family out and that, like every single week.

“So just trying to make sure that we’re all playing together as a unit, and then making sure that we tailor their game plan for who we have out there on the field. So I think that’s, that’s the biggest thing for me as a play-caller.”

Coaching connections

Texans coach DeMeco Ryans, right, answers questions as team owner Cal McNair listens at NRG Stadium in Houston on Feb. 2. (Michael Wyke, AP)
Texans coach DeMeco Ryans, right, answers questions as team owner Cal McNair listens at NRG Stadium in Houston on Feb. 2. (Michael Wyke, AP)

When the Patriots’ defensive braintrust stares across the sideline Sunday, they will spot a familiar face.

Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans is a fellow Alabaman that Covington followed as a high school and college player, also from the greater Birmingham area. Ryans played at the University of Alabama, where he became a unanimous All-American and eventually left to play 10 years in the NFL. Since then, he’s enjoyed a meteoric rise through the NFL coaching ranks, making the playoffs last season as a first-year head coach after two seasons as the 49ers defensive coordinator.

“I’m proud of him, the success you see,” Covington said. “You know, a Black head coach in the National Football League, and just the success he’s had and what he’s done with that team. I’m proud of him, and I look up to what he’s doing over there … (They) fly around, (he) gets those guys playing hard.”

Advertisement

Shortly after Ryans left Alabama, Jerod Mayo was coming up as a new star linebacker for the University of Tennessee. Mayo, 38, admitted this week he used to chase Ryans’ tackle records in the SEC.

“I would say the history between DeMeco and myself goes back a long way, and he doesn’t even know it. He was one of those guys I looked up to. In college, you try to chase those tackle numbers. I would put Patrick Willis in that same realm, as far as me as a young guy trying to chase those guys as far as stats are concerned. He’s done a fantastic job. … I look up to DeMeco and that entire organization, and hopefully we can replicate some of that stuff here in the near term and in the future,” he said.

Quote of the Week

“He played his balls off last week.” — Patriots defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery on defensive tackle Daniel Ekuale



Source link

Advertisement

Boston, MA

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider

Published

on

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider


As the Boston Red Sox struggle with offense like never before, the trade deadline seems to be zooming forward quicker than ever.

Though they scored six runs on Friday night and seven in a game earlier this week, the Red Sox still rank 29th in both runs scored and home runs out of the 30 Major League Baseball teams. The American League is weak, which means their 22-28 record hasn’t yet sunk their ship, but if they’re going to make any noise whatsoever this year, they’ll need more offense.

It’s no secret that trade talks have been happening across the league at a faster pace than usual for May. CEO Sam Kennedy said on WEEI this week that the Red Sox were looking to add offense. But they’ve also got some baseline criteria that The Athletic’s Jen McCaffrey reported on Saturday.

Advertisement

If you like our content, choose Sports Illustrated as a preferred source on Google.

Red Sox looking for right-handed bats

Advertisement

May 7, 2026; Boston, Massachusetts, USA; Boston Red Sox third baseman Caleb Durbin (5) hits an RBI single against the Tampa Bay Rays during the second inning at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images | Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images

Advertisement

According to McCaffrey, the Red Sox’s preference is to add a right-handed bat, with position being something of an afterthought. The team’s weakest offensive positions thus far have been all over the infield, excluding first base, catcher, and left field.

“What caliber of bat and what the Red Sox would be willing to trade in return remain the biggest questions,” wrote McCaffrey.

“While an immediate trade is unlikely, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow has shown early aggressiveness before. He traded Rafael Devers, one of the team’s most productive hitters, to the San Francisco Giants in a stunning deal on June 15, 2025.”

A sneaky dream target for Boston

Advertisement

May 22, 2026; Anaheim, California, USA; Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto (9) watches the flight of the ball on his second solo home run of the game in the eighth inning against the Texas Rangers at Angel Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images | Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

While we don’t yet know every player available across the league, a few teams have fallen out of the race. We could examine a few trade candidates and their fits with the Red Sox, but because the preference is for a righty, a name to circle (maybe just in pencil) is Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto.

Advertisement

The Red Sox were known to be high on Neto in the offseason, but ultimately couldn’t get a deal done. It didn’t sound like things were particularly close to getting across the finish line. But the Angels, who have started the season a ghastly 18-34, have to at least be considering a total sell-off.

Advertisement

Neto, 25, has rebounded from a slow start to post a 115 OPS+ in the earlygoing this season. The real question is whether the Angels see him as too valuable to let go this soon, but they’re not going to get a better package for him in the future than they would now.

Just food for thought, not a report that the Red Sox are back on Neto’s tail. It’s a fit that would make sense as long as Trevor Story can’t be depended upon, and Neto could easily move infield positions someday as well.

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston

Published

on

Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston



A West Yarmouth, Massachusetts man has been charged in connection with a pair of armed bank robberies in Boston last month.

Federal prosecutors say 25-year-old Angel Gonzalez brandished a firearm during the robberies at a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury and a TD Bank branch in Roslindale on April 28. His alleged accomplice, Steven Harris, was charged with armed bank robbery earlier this month and remains in federal custody.

During the first robbery in Roxbury, Gonzalez allegedly dragged an employee from her office to the teller window, held her at gunpoint and threatened shoot her.

Advertisement

Angel Gonzalez allegedly robbed a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury at gunpoint. 

Department of Justice


Less than two hours later, Gonzalez and Harris allegedly robbed the TD Bank in Roslindale. Prosecutors say Harris moved multiple employees from their offices to the main area of the bank, while Gonzalez threatened to shoot them if they did not comply. Gonzales then allegedly took $3,000 from a teller drawer before they left in a getaway vehicle.  

Radek Weirdeowski was inside the Roslindale bank at the time of the robbery, and told WBZ-TV it happened so quickly. “While one guy was at the teller with the gun, the other guy was kind of rounding everyone else up,” he said. “And I thought we would all get robbed as well. But fortunately, they just took the bank’s money and took off.”

Advertisement

Gonzalez is charged with armed bank robbery and is currently in state custody in connection with unrelated offenses. He will make his initial appearance in federal court at a later date.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead

Published

on

Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead


A young man was shot and killed in Boston early Friday morning

Advertisement

The shooting near 260 Bowdoin St. in Dorchester was caught on surveillance video that showed a group of people running and ducking for cover behind cars in a parking lot.

Boston police confirmed one person died in the shooting, which happened at about 1 a.m. Family members identified the victim as 21-year-old Giovanni Bala. They lit candles with messages written on them, remembering Bala as a loving and caring person.

dorchester-shooting-candles.jpg

Giovanni Bala was killed in a Dorchester shooting, his family says.

CBS Boston


“It’s a sad situation. I’ve never seen this happen in this area before,” said Oral Pierre, the manager of One Family Diner. 

Advertisement

The restaurant’s cameras captured the shooting and the chaos that followed. Pierre has worked at his family’s restaurant for 20 years and was shocked to see the large crime scene when he got to work Friday morning.

“We saw in the parking lot two cars with bullet holes,” he said. “And when I get the video I saw about 15 people in the parking lot just running and shooting.”

Police shut down the area of Bowdoin and Hamilton streets with crime tape. Investigators scoured the area with police dogs and three cars were towed from the scene.

Kelvin Bell lives nearby and was upset to see violence in his neighborhood.

“I just heard loud bangs, commotion and sirens,” he said. “I just shook my head and said ‘enough is enough’ with the gun play. Whatever this is isn’t important enough to be taking lives. Trust me, this is not a video game, you can’t press reset.”

Advertisement

The Boston Police homicide unit is investigating. There’s no word on a motive or any arrests. 



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending