Connect with us

Boston, MA

Former Massachusetts doctor faces 81 new sexual assault charges

Published

on

Former Massachusetts doctor faces 81 new sexual assault charges



A former doctor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston has been indicted on 81 new sexual assault charges, prosecutors announced Tuesday. Dr. Derrick Todd, a rheumatologist, was already facing rape and assault charges in Middlesex County and had been sued by dozens of former patients.

Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden said the new charges stem from accusations made by 22 victims between 17 and 56 years old. Todd faces 21 new rape charges, 59 new counts of indecent assault and battery and one count of assault with intent to rape.

“Many of these women had complicated and gravely serious symptoms and conditions. Some were in excruciating pain. Many were desperate for relief,” Hayden said. “Dr. Todd intently groomed them all into quiet submission.”

Advertisement

With the latest indictments, Todd is now facing more than 100 charges of sexual assault in Massachusetts. 

“Almost unimaginable”

The alleged assaults occurred between 2017 and 2023 at Brigham and Women’s Hale Building in Boston and the Faulkner Hospital in Jamaica Plain. Hayden said it’s “almost unimaginable” how Todd was able to violate and betray patients’ trust.

“The scale of victimization and the magnitude of trauma left in the wake of these allegations is something we have never encountered,” Hayden said.

WBZ-TV has reached out to Todd’s lawyer for comment. He could be arraigned in court on the new charges this week, Hayden said. 

Charges against Dr. Derrick Todd

Brigham and Women’s fired Todd in 2023 following accusations that he performed inappropriate pelvic and breast exams on his patients. The I-Team reported at the time that police were investigating more than a dozen complaints of sex assault against Todd by his female patients. 

Advertisement

In January of 2025, Todd pleaded not guilty in Middlesex Superior Court to rape charges involving two of his former patients at Charles River Medical Associates in Framingham. 

Last month, Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan said a grand jury indicted Todd on three new charges of rape and 17 counts of indecent assault and battery.



Source link

Boston, MA

With the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe

Published

on

With the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe


“As we have shared with your team, it is imperative that a limited portion of Summer Street near South Station is closed to traffic,” read the letter sent from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s General Manger Phillip Eng to the city’s interim chief of streets, Nicholas Gove.

The T’s letter, dated May 15, goes on to suggest that the state is moving forward with the plan to close down that stretch of Summer Street with or without the city’s buy-in, with Eng stating that the letter serves “as notice that the MBTA intends to acquire the temporary right to occupy this portion of Summer Street.”

“The MBTA will continue to work with the City to secure a permit, which would allow the MBTA to withdraw this notice,” read the letter.

The city says not so fast, painting the letter as an “eminent domain” power move.

Advertisement

“The City opposes this inappropriate use of eminent domain to bypass the permitting process for roadways under local jurisdiction, and we urge the Commonwealth to withdraw the filing while plans are being reviewed,” said a spokesperson for Mayor Michelle Wu’s administration in a statement.

The city’s agencies, according to the spokesperson, “have extensive experience managing major events of comparable scale, and the City has proposed alternatives to meet the safety and security needs of the World Cup while preserving access to this area for residents, visitors, and local commuters.”

The statement continued, “Full closure of a major route into the City for multiple entire workdays should be undertaken only as a last resort, and the City will continue working toward a resolution.”

The MBTA expects about 20,000 fans to take trains from Boston to Gillette Stadium for each of the local World Cup matches.

“Given the unprecedented number of people who will be coming to the South Station area to attend the World Cup, take their regular commutes or attend fan-related events, the MBTA has elevated its security posture in and around South Station to mirror those in place at [Gillette] Stadium on match days,” said Eng in the letter.

Advertisement

Boston city officials argue that the plan would further snarl traffic in an area that is already heavily congested during rush hour. They worry that planned detours for the closure don’t accurately account for driver behavior and that the proposal is underpinned by old data.

The city also says it has identified alternative plans that would not involve shutting down Summer Street, including utilizing Dewey Square and the Rose Kennedy Greenway as staging areas for passengers.

World Cup matches will be held in Foxborough on June 13, 16, 19, 23, 26, and 29, as well as July 9. The T plans to close down the street for stretches of 10 hours on game days, according to the letter. Previously, the T and the city agreed to shut down a portion of Summer Street for games on June 13 and 19, but Eng declared in the letter that “equal public safety needs exist for the other five matches.”

Summer Street is a busy thoroughfare that stretches from the city’s Financial District into the Seaport and South Boston. The stretch of road that would be shut down for World Cup game days is about a fifth of a mile, from South Station, a central commuting hub home to the Red Line, buses, and commuter rail service, to just before the Fort Point Channel. The intersection of Summer and Dorchester Avenue itself would not be shut down.

The move to close it down comes at the recommendation of State Police and the T’s public safety personnel, and local businesses have been apprised of the plan, according to the T’s letter.

Advertisement

“It is also consistent with steps we collaboratively take during other major events, such as First Night and the Boston Marathon,” said Eng in the letter.


Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him @Danny__McDonald.





Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Sexual assault trial of Alvin Campbell, Massachusetts attorney general’s brother, begins today

Published

on

Sexual assault trial of Alvin Campbell, Massachusetts attorney general’s brother, begins today



The sexual assault trial of Alvin Campbell, the brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Campbell, began Monday.

Alvin Campbell is accused of posing as an Uber driver and raping or assaulting nine young women in Boston between 2017 and 2019. He was also charged with assaulting a correctional officer last year.

The case got underway at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston Monday morning with opening statements.

Advertisement

“A common denominator in the attacks is evidence that Campbell masqueraded as a rideshare driver and in one case a bar employee, and targeted women at venues in the downtown Boston area who were too intoxicated to consent to sex or to resist his assaults,” prosecutors said in a criminal complaint. “He used his own cellphone to record his crimes against these defenseless victims.”

Campbell did previously work for Uber, but investigators say he had left the company before alleged crimes. The district attorney’s office said that when his car was seized, it was “festooned with Uber stickers and logos.”

Attorney General Campbell released a statement about the trial before it started.

“As my brother’s trial begins, I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect,” the attorney general said. “This is an incredibly difficult situation for everyone involved, and I carry that weight with me, including in my prayers for my brother. The case is now before the court, and I respect the judicial process as it moves forward.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Fire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings

Published

on

Fire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings


A fire broke out at a home in East Boston Sunday evening, extending to additional buildings and sending black smoke billowing high into the air.

The Boston Fire Department said the flames started at a multi-family home at 263 Princeton Street. There was heavy fire on all three of the home’s porches, which had burned through to the inside.

The fire damaged three additional buildings, the fire department said on social media, and more crews were called in to help. Thousands of feet of firehose were used to battle the flames.

Deputy Fire Chief Steven Shaffer told NBC10 Boston that one firefighter was taken to the hospital by Boston EMS after suffering burns on his hand.

Advertisement

It’s unclear exactly how many homes were damaged by the fire in total, but the fire department said 21 people were displaced. The American Red Cross of Massachusetts assisted them with shelter and emergency supplies.

There was no immediate word on the fire’s cause. An investigation is underway.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending