Connect with us

News

Meta ends third party fact-checking scheme

Published

on

Meta ends third party fact-checking scheme

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Facebook owner Meta is ending its third party fact-checking programme and will instead rely on its users to flag misinformation.

The social media platform on Tuesday said it would “allow more speech by lifting restrictions on some topics that are part of mainstream discourse and focusing our enforcement on illegal and high-severity violations” and “take a more personalised approach to political content”.

Starting in the US, Meta will move to a so-called “community notes” model, similar to the one employed by Elon Musk’s X, which allows users to add context to controversial or misleading posts. Meta itself will not write community notes.

Advertisement

This is a developing story

News

NASA eyes March 6 to launch 4 astronauts to the moon on Artemis II mission

Published

on

NASA eyes March 6 to launch 4 astronauts to the moon on Artemis II mission

NASA says it’s planning a March 6 launch date to send four astronauts on a trip around the moon on the Artemis II mission.

Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/AFP via Getty Images

NASA could launch four astronauts on a mission to fly around the moon as soon as March 6th.

That’s the launch date that the space agency is now working towards following a successful test fueling of its big, 322-foot-tall moon rocket, which is standing on a launch pad at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

“This is really getting real,” says Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator of NASA’s exploration systems development mission directorate. “It’s time to get serious and start getting excited.”

Advertisement

But she cautioned that there’s still some pending work that remains to be done out at the launch pad, and officials will have to conduct a multi-day flight readiness review late next week to make sure that every aspect of the mission is truly ready to go.

“We need to successfully navigate all of those, but assuming that happens, it puts us in a very good position to target March 6th,” she says, noting that the flight readiness review will be “extensive and detailed.”

The Artemis II test flight will send four astronauts on an approximately 600,000-mile trip around the moon and back. It will mark the first time that people have ventured to the moon since the final Apollo lunar mission in 1972.

When NASA workers first tested out fueling the rocket earlier this month, they encountered problems like a liquid hydrogen leak. Swapping out some seals and other work seems to have fixed these issues, according to officials who say that the latest countdown dress rehearsal went smoothly, despite glitches such as a loss of ground communications in the Launch Control Center that forced workers to temporarily use backups.

Members of the Artemis II crew — NASA astronauts Reid Wiseman, Victor Glover, Christina Koch, and Canadian Space Agency astronaut Jeremy Hansen — are starting their roughly two-week quarantine to limit their exposure to illnesses before their flight.

Advertisement

Glaze says she spoke to several of the astronauts during the recent test fueling, as they were in Florida to observe the preparations. “They’re all very, very excited,” she says. “They are really getting a lot of anticipation for a potential launch in March.”

Continue Reading

News

Video: Trump Says He’ll Release Alien and U.F.O. Files

Published

on

Video: Trump Says He’ll Release Alien and U.F.O. Files

new video loaded: Trump Says He’ll Release Alien and U.F.O. Files

transcript

transcript

Trump Says He’ll Release Alien and U.F.O. Files

After former President Obama made viral comments about aliens, President Trump said his administration would begin to release government files related to aliens and extraterrestrial life.

“Are aliens real?” “They’re real, but I haven’t seen them. And, they’re not being kept in, what is it?” “Area 51.” “Area 51. There’s no underground facility, unless there’s this enormous conspiracy, and they they hid it from the president of the United States.” “Well, I don’t know if they’re real or not. I can tell you, he gave classified information. He’s not supposed to be doing that. He made a, he made a big mistake.” “Well, if the president can declassify anything that he wants to, so ——” “Well, maybe I’ll get him out of trouble. I may get him out of trouble by declassifying.”

Advertisement
After former President Obama made viral comments about aliens, President Trump said his administration would begin to release government files related to aliens and extraterrestrial life.

By Shawn Paik

February 19, 2026

Continue Reading

News

Britain blocking use of air bases Trump says would be needed for strikes on Iran, UK media report | CNN

Published

on

Britain blocking use of air bases Trump says would be needed for strikes on Iran, UK media report | CNN

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has blocked a request from US President Donald Trump to allow US forces to use UK air bases during any preemptive attack on Iran, saying it could break international law, according to multiple reports in British media citing government sources.

According to The Times of London, which first reported the split over airbase access, Starmer has denied the use of RAF Fairford in England and Diego Garcia – the British overseas territory in the Indian Ocean – for any strike on Iran.

The two bases have long served as crucial overseas US military staging posts for operations far from home, with Diego Garcia a key airfield for the US’ heavy bomber fleet.

The Times reports Britain is concerned that allowing the US to use the bases “would be a breach of international law, which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have ‘knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act.’”

The Times cited UK government sources. The BBC, The Guardian and The Telegraph also subsequently published their own reports on the UK blocking access to the bases, citing sources.

Advertisement

The UK Ministry of Defence declined to comment on what it called operational matters. “There is a political process ongoing between the US and Iran, which the UK supports. Iran must never be able to develop a nuclear weapon, and our priority is security in the region,” a government spokesperson said.

American requests to use UK bases for operational purposes historically have been considered on a case-by-case basis, with precise criteria withheld for security reasons under long-standing agreements.

“All decisions on whether to approve foreign nations’ use of military bases in the UK for operational purposes considers the legal basis and policy rationale for any proposed activity,” Veterans Minister Al Carns wrote in response to questions from independent British member of parliament Jeremy Corbyn, according to a January report from the UK Defence Journal.

Starmer and Trump held a phone call on Tuesday evening, with readouts saying the two discussed peace in the Middle East and Europe.

The following day Trump took to his Truth Social platform to withdraw support for a deal that would see sovereignty over the Chagos Islands, the Indian Ocean chain that is home to the joint US-UK Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia, handed to Mauritius in return for a 99-year lease on the military base.

Advertisement

CNN has approached the White House for comment.

Britain had split the Chagos Islands from Mauritius before that colony gained independence, something that has been a source of diplomatic friction as well as multiple legal battles with locals who were evicted. In 2019, the International Court of Justice ruled Britain should return the islands “as rapidly as possible,” so that they could be decolonized.

A deal to return them has been making its way through British government channels since, with London arguing a lease compromise would ward off further expensive and likely futile legal battles while maintaining military access in the Indian Ocean.

After initially opposing the UK-Mauritius deal, Trump in early February said it was the “best” Britain could get under the circumstances.

But as the US has been surging forces into the region for a possible attack on Iran, Trump reversed course, saying in a Truth Social post that Starmer is “making a big mistake” in agreeing to the lease deal with Mauritius.

Advertisement

“Prime Minister Starmer is losing control of this important Island by claims of entities never known of before. In our opinion, they are fictitious in nature,” Trump’s post said.

But just a day earlier, the US State Department issued a statement saying in part that Washington “supports the decision of the United Kingdom to proceed with its agreement with Mauritius.”

Asked about the discrepancy between the Truth Social post and the State Department statement, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the president’s post should be taken as the “policy” of the Trump administration.

In his social media post, Trump directly referenced the two UK airbases, cited by British media, as important in a possible strike on Iran.

“It may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” Trump wrote.

Advertisement

Neither Diego Garcia nor Fairford, the key forward operating base for US strategic bombers in Europe, was used in last June’s one-time B-2 bomber strike on Iranian nuclear sites. In that case, the stealth bombers flew a round trip of about 37 hours from their home base in Missouri.

But analysts are expecting that any new US attack on Iran might be a much longer campaign, possibly of weeks or more.

In such a campaign, having the B-2s, as well as B-1 and B-52 bombers, using bases thousands of miles closer to Iran would enable quicker turnarounds to rearm and refuel for more strikes.

While the US may have access to other bases in friendly countries closer to Iran, using them could put its prized heavy bomber fleet in reach of retaliatory Iranian missile strikes.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending